United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Darth Vidic

Default Fergie - Robson ''best captain we have ever had''

Quote:
THE LEADER ON THE PITCH

There are very few roles that a captain performs that are important these days. It’s such a team game now. You will get the odd captain who will have an influence. There aren’t many around today. No Bryan Robsons. He was the best captain we have ever had. He was marvellous, could see things in a game and change them and had a marvellous influence on the players and he had a marvellous belief in himself too, he knew he was doing right. There are very few captains like that.
Linkage

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM
armchair

best captain to ever captain

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Darth Vidic

So most would rate him over Keane as a captain for us then? Too young to remember.

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:53 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
So most would rate him over Keane as a captain for us then? Too young to remember.
Yeah. He was £#%&!ing amazing.

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
I'd rate him over Keane myself definitely. Although I would put Cantona over Robbo, although it's a close run thing I IMO.

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
J_RED

Keane was close IMO, but Robson was the best captain of any team I have ever seen, like it says able to see what was wrong and change it and not just by %@#$&!ing everyone like Keane mostly did

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:56 PM
armchair

both were forces of nature. Most would rate Robbo over Keane. We were blessed having the pair of them and Keane was blessed having Robbo take him under his wing.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Sloppy

Both were awesome but robbo was the better for me.My greatest united player.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Robson the best United Captain I have ever seen..... as someone else has already stated he was imense witout acting like a right @#%&! to his team mates. Robbo carried United for too long & managed to do that with a much weaker side than Keano captained on more occasions than I care to remember. For Keano's performance in Turin look at Barca 84 at home, one of the best performances I have ever seen from a United captain & player. Still gives me goose pimpels now when I see it.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
thatsfuctit

said it before and will no doubt say it again.

thought we could beat anyone with Robbo in the team, we often turned to shit when he wasn't.

Too brave for his own good.

Immense.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Van Baron
Robson the best United Captain I have ever seen..... as someone else has already stated he was imense witout acting like a right @#%&! to his team mates. Robbo carried United for too long & managed to do that with a much weaker side than Keano captained on more occasions than I care to remember. For Keano's performance in Turin look at Barca 84 at home, one of the best performances I have ever seen from a United captain & player. Still gives me goose pimpels now when I see it.
Agreed BUT
Maybe being a @#%&! is what was needed to make United champions though.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Yep maybe if Robbo shouted something other than rounds in United would've been champions sooner.

Ok I've gone over the top for effect there but
Different time & differnt era, Robbo was the greatest captain I have ever seen in a United shirt followed by Keano & Eric in 3rd spot. If Robbo had been at his peak during Keano's time it would have been Robson everytime & we would have been just as successful & maybe more.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:31 PM
armchair

Quote:
Different time & differnt era, Robbo was the greatest captain I have ever seen in a United shirt followed by Keano & Eric in 3rd spot. If Robbo had been at his peak during Keano's time it would have been Robson everytime & we would have been just as successful & maybe more.
We don't know that. We were blessed having both. Robbo is my childhood hero. People used to say 'but he's always injured' and I'd say "that's from carrying United and England for so long"

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
HarkNowHear

Robbo was magnificent as was Keane.

Buchan for me.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
We don't know that. We were blessed having both. Robbo is my childhood hero. People used to say 'but he's always injured' and I'd say "that's from carrying United and England for so long"
Didn't he miss the 1986 and 1990 World Cups through injury?

I briefly met Captain Marvel in Red Square day of the final. He was on his way to the Heineken bar for free beer

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Cantona was captain for one season, and it is arguably the worst season in his time at the club, his last one.

Great inspiration to those around him, but don't think he can be considered one of our best 'captains'.

Unread 07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair
Same. Spent half my time defending United and Robbo at school when most lads were vermin fans due to their success in the 80's. Funny I never remember being called a glory hunter in the 80's....

Unread 08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Barcabal

We were the liverpool of the nineties in the eighties.

So respectable.

Robbo was our gerrard. basically the king of the world in midfield

Unread 08-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Arnold Muhren

I'd put Robson over Keane. Its a close call but as previously said, Robbo was £#%&!ing immense and carried us for many years.

Unread 08-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcabal
We were the liverpool of the nineties in the eighties.

So respectable.

Robbo was our gerrard. basically the king of the world in midfield
Gerrard is such a great midfielder that no manager wants to play him there.
Closed Thread