United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
It'll be great to watch domestically but we'll be murdered in Europe.
I don't know about murdered, I think we may struggle to score sometimes though.

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It'll be great to watch domestically but we'll be murdered in Europe.
By who?

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I don't know about murdered, I think we may struggle to score sometimes though.
Agree with that.

We've got players to adapt and change for any team on the planet imo.

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Agree with that.

We've got players to adapt and change for any team on the planet imo.
...except Barca, obv.

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
...except Barca, obv.
We didn't turn up.Hey ho.

What I mean is, there's no team on the planet that I don't think we can give a game (providing we turn up and perform ).We've got a good squad of players that can fit into numerous formations for any given team/match/tie.

Unread 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
We didn't turn up.Hey ho.

What I mean is, there's no team on the planet that I don't think we can give a game (providing we turn up and perform ).We've got a good squad of players that can fit into numerous formations for any given team/match/tie.
Not sure why losing Ronaldo and tevez is gonna cause us to get hammmered in Europe. With them our strength in the CL last season was defensive.

Unread 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
By who?
Depends who we get in the knockout stages.

Unread 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Depends who we get in the knockout stages.
Why are we suddenly gonna start getting hammered? Didn't happen in the last 2 CL's and we've the same defence and midfield. Valencia replacing Ronnie should make us harder to score against. As has been said we may find it difficult to score but I don't see us suddenly falling to pieces defensively.

Unread 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Not sure why losing Ronaldo and tevez is gonna cause us to get hammmered in Europe. With them our strength in the CL last season was defensive.

the strength last season was experience and determination to return to the final. we actaullay let in more goals in the KO rounds (not inc. the final).

this season that could turn to a weakness if the motivation is driven by last season's final no-show.

Quote:
Why are we suddenly gonna start getting hammered? Didn't happen in the last 2 CL's and we've the same defence and midfield. Valencia replacing Ronnie should make us harder to score against. As has been said we may find it difficult to score but I don't see us suddenly falling to pieces defensively.

Unread 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

Well, he's a bit more defensive minded than Ronnie was.

Unread 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Well, he's a bit more defensive minded than Ronnie was.
thought that's all you meant

doubt we'll use more than 5 in midfield, all the same

how the £#%&! did i get a stray 'a' in actually on the last post? that's what i want to know.

Unread 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
thought that's all you meant

doubt we'll use more than 5 in midfield, all the same

how the £#%&! did i get a stray 'a' in actually on the last post? that's what i want to know.
Fingers got a mind of their £#%&!ing own I'm afraid.

Unread 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Grimson

Quote:
we actaullay let in more goals in the KO rounds (not inc. the final).
Unless I'm mistaken, United conceded 3 in the group stages (fewer than any other team bar Juve), and 3 in the knockout rounds (not including the final)(Barca conceded as many in their first tie, with Lyon). Considering the opponents in the KO round were considerably better, 3 conceded in 6 is quite clearly an outstanding defensive performance by any standards.

Unread 06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Unless I'm mistaken, United conceded 3 in the group stages (fewer than any other team bar Juve), and 3 in the knockout rounds (not including the final)(Barca conceded as many in their first tie, with Lyon). Considering the opponents in the KO round were considerably better, 3 conceded in 6 is quite clearly an outstanding defensive performance by any standards.
Especially when one came from a penalty which shouldn't have been given

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
yeah and?

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Grimson

Quote:
yeah and?
And, you gave it the when it was suggested it was our defensive prowess that got us back to the final. As if it wasn't. When clearly it indeed was. And you were wrong about your stat.

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
And, you gave it the when it was suggested it was our defensive prowess that got us back to the final. As if it wasn't. When clearly it indeed was. And you were wrong about your stat.
i actually wasn't wrong about the stat at all

and, not including the final, the only goal United conceded in the KO rounds on the way to winning the comp in 2008 was scored by Benzema

there was little or no difference between United's defensive prowess in either of the last 2 campaigns.

it was pointed to as a strength last season as evidence of a more defensive approach compared to the previous season. this in fact is wrong.

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Grimson

Quote:
i actually wasn't wrong about the stat at all

and, not including the final, the only goal United conceded in the KO rounds on the way to winning the comp in 2008 was scored by Benzema

there was little or no difference between United's defensive prowess in either of the last 2 campaigns.

it was pointed to as a strength last season as evidence of a more defensive approach compared to the previous season. this in fact is wrong.
I don't think anyone compared it to the previous season.

You were comparing last season's performance to that in 2007. I wasn't, and I don't think antonin was either. We were both just saying United defended better than any other team in the competition last season, and surely that's a big part of the reason they got back to the final.

You said it was 'determination,' but surely this was manifested in how they defended?

As for the stat, you are correct, but again I didn't see that you were comparing it to 2007. I thought you were comparing the goals allowed in the KO round in 2008 to the goals allowed in the group stage in the same season. I didn't see how 2007 was being discussed at all.

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I don't think anyone compared it to the previous season.

You were comparing last season's performance to that in 2007. I wasn't, and I don't think antonin was either. We were both just saying United defended better than any other team in the competition last season, and surely that's a big part of the reason they got back to the final.

You said it was 'determination,' but surely this was manifested in how they defended?

As for the stat, you are correct, but again I didn't see that you were comparing it to 2007. I thought you were comparing the goals allowed in the KO round in 2008 to the goals allowed in the group stage in the same season. I didn't see how 2007 was being discussed at all.
is there some sort of point to the bullshit you're posting on this thread?

it's obvious you're heart can't possibly be in it, so I just wondered?

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Grimson

Quote:
is there some sort of point to the bullshit you're posting on this thread?

it's obvious you're heart can't possibly be in it, so I just wondered?
Your logic is so poor, so consistently. You're telling me United's defensive record played NO PART in them reaching the final in 2008? Bearing in mind 2008 has £#%&! all to do with 2007?
Closed Thread