United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-08-2009, 03:14 AM
shenwen

I tend to think keane did a lot more than just delivering %@#$&!ings on the field. led by example just as much as robson. I would guess that the two of them were very different characters in the dressing room though, but equally effective.

Unread 08-08-2009, 08:29 AM
elephantstone

Theres only one bryan robson! The guy was immense

Unread 08-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Argentina

Story about Robbo the day he signed. Wilkins, the guy he was effectively bought to replace, got a hattrick. Allegedly, robbo watching from the stands didn't batt an eyelid, knowing he was far better than him.

Unread 08-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Story about Robbo the day he signed. Wilkins, the guy he was effectively bought to replace, got a hattrick. Allegedly, robbo watching from the stands didn't batt an eyelid, knowing he was far better than him.
Nice story.

But it was Mcilroy who scored a hat-trick.

Unread 08-08-2009, 10:44 AM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Nice story.

But it was Mcilroy who scored a hat-trick.
Correct - and if I remember correctly BFR made Butch captain in preference to Robbo. Was only when Butch was injured that Robbo got the job - and never gave it up.

Unread 08-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Horst_ Bucholst

buchan

Unread 08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Correct - and if I remember correctly BFR made Butch captain in preference to Robbo. Was only when Butch was injured that Robbo got the job - and never gave it up.
Wilkins was Captain of England and United until an injury iirc.

Unread 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
shadowplay

Robbo just referred to us as "Man U" on Mutv.

That's it, Gary Neville is now ahead of him.

Unread 08-08-2009, 12:00 PM
thatsfuctit

Unread 08-08-2009, 12:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Robbo just referred to us as "Man U" on Mutv.

That's it, Gary Neville is now ahead of him.
He has always called us Man U, must be a geordie thing as Brucie often does too, either that or Alcohol abuse has wiped the 'nited' from his brain/vocabulary.

Unread 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

I'd have to have Robbo tops. Keane definitely a close second. Eric was great too but a completely different type of captain. Players under Eric wanted to impress him where Robbo led by example and throwing himself into everything without thought for his own safety. I have a sneaking suspicion that although Keane was a great captain it was more based on intimidation and fear of a %@#$&!ing. Both Keane and Robbo led by example though and were able to galvanise sunken spirits (and no, I don't mean by out-drinking the rest of the squad which in their heyday both I'm sure could do).

Unread 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
Robbo was magnificent as was Keane.

Buchan for me.

spot, has never been more on, than in that post

Unread 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless

spot, has never been more on, than in that post
remember getting his autograph....really nice chap. Too young to remember much of him as a player but he was outstanding one league game I saw him in against the arse....Stapleton scored that day if I remember correctly. Think it was MB's pass that set him up.

Unread 08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONESMARTBADGER
remember getting his autograph....really nice chap. Too young to remember much of him as a player but he was outstanding one league game I saw him in against the arse....Stapleton scored that day if I remember correctly. Think it was MB's pass that set him up.
me too ..... i made him wait, while i went into the old, old souvenir shop to buy an autograph book

imagine my surprise when 20 odd years later i ended up getting to know him though work

indeed he is a top bloke...dry sense of humour n'all

Unread 08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
M-13

Quote:
me too ..... i made him wait, while i went into the old, old souvenir shop to buy an autograph book

imagine my surprise when 20 odd years later i ended up getting to know him though work

Did he remember you Denis ??

Unread 08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13
Did he remember you Denis ??
i told him the story .....and he said "oh yeah, i remember....you had a white United scarf on"

but i didnt, i was on my bike and it wasnt a match day......he was taking the piss

Unread 08-08-2009, 05:11 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Quote:

waved out the team coach at me and my Dad too......there was no one else around so.....

Stevie Coppell was sitting in front of him with his head down....miserable sod

Unread 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Terry Silver

Of course it's nothing to do with the fact that Keane and Fergie had a massive falling out, and Robson is back at the club in an ambassadorial capacity.

I don't think it's a fair or worthwhile comparison. I'm not a fan of this culture where "The Best Ever..." everything has to be decided upon by fair means or by foul. Can we not just enjoy things for what they are or were?

Robson was a shining light during dark times for the club, and the fact that he stayed loyal throughout when he could have played for any side in the world is commendable.

But Keane led us to our greatest season ever, and his spell at the club was notable for being the most successful in the club's history.

Just glad we had them both.

Unread 08-08-2009, 06:24 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst

Always thought he looked embarrassed.

Educated Gent who was a magnificent footballer. First 10 yards were in his head.

Unread 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
MJ Ramone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
both were forces of nature. Most would rate Robbo over Keane. We were blessed having the pair of them and Keane was blessed having Robbo take him under his wing.
Agree with that.
Closed Thread