United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Gog Coch

Default Yesterday's midfield was not good enough.

Ok while the untried Chelsea Diamond operated in the 1st 20 mins. After that it was found wanting especially when the ball was given away for no apparent reason when we had to play catch up. Carrick is very suspect with those other midfielders around him.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
wiganste

Does anything about United please you, you boring @#%&!?

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Whalefish

I think you'll find our midfield did very well for the first 45mins and then Chelsea's started to get a foothold in the second half. That was after the awful Mikel was subbed and Essien moved into a more central position, as opposed to playing on the right.

You can blame others if you like, but Carrick's poor performance was just down to him. Bad day at the office.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
Ok while the untried Chelsea Diamond operated in the 1st 20 mins. After that it was found wanting especially when the ball was given away for no apparent reason when we had to play catch up. Carrick is very suspect with those other midfielders around him.
Top-right corner, where it says Log Out, do us a favour and click that will you?

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Aloe Blacc

Don't make excuses for Chelsea, Essien and Lampard were nowhere to be seen for most of the match.

And we were without Hargreaves and Anderson. Carrick wasn't really at his best either so id say we did pretty well.

Looking back at our meetings with Chelsea over the last couple of years, we've started to dominate them. They used to be a bit of bogey team.

Anyway, £#%&! that. Let's blame Scholesy.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
It really doesn't. I have to listen to his constantly negative ramblings about United on a regular basis. Honestly don't understand why he bothers watching us any more, gets no pleasure from it apart from launching into a tirade of abuse at any percieved poor performance.

borsuk

Quote:
defeats?

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
It really doesn't. I have to listen to his constantly negative ramblings about United on a regular basis. Honestly don't understand why he bothers watching us any more, gets no pleasure from it apart from launching into a tirade of abuse at any percieved poor performance.
Crazy innit? Get him back into that old folks home and stress he's not allowed internet access anymore

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
wiganste

Oh, and fwiw, I thought it was an excellent game yesterday. No shame in getting dominated by Chelsea's midfield, just like they'll be saying there's no shame in getting dominated all over the pitch by United in the 1st half

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Oh, and fwiw, I thought it was an excellent game yesterday. No shame in getting dominated by Chelsea's midfield, just like they'll be saying there's no shame in getting dominated all over the pitch by United in the 1st half
Agreed, thing is they play a midfield 3 so it's always gonna be tough to match 'em up in there with just 2. Choice we had was to compromise and play a 3 or try and attack 'em wide, we did the latter and it worked in the first half, less so in the 2nd. Cracking game though.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
Fletcher was the best player on the pitch in the first half yesterday.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:18 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Agreed, thing is they play a midfield 3 so it's always gonna be tough to match 'em up in there with just 2. Choice we had was to compromise and play a 3 or try and attack 'em wide, we did the latter and it worked in the first half, less so in the 2nd. Cracking game though.
I think people are forgetting Cech made 3 excellent saves in that first half. It wouldnt have flattered us going in 4-1 at half time

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
elephantstone

also it has to be remmbered that it was the charity shield the real business starts on Sunday

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
borsuk

it's been a decent pre-season. we don't get going until october anyway but we're looking in decent shape so long as we don't lose any more defenders - brown, vidic and vds out at the same time is a big hole to fill.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

CL final 2008, Stamford Bridge last season and yesterday, we've dominated chelsea in the 1st half gone 1-0 up and then just sat back and let them into it. We could have easily been 2 up at half time

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
elephantstone

I have concerns over the right back area and hope Fergie opts to play Raphael week in week out

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
I have concerns over the right back area and hope Fergie opts to play Raphael week in week out
Hmmmmm, dunno, I'd play Wes there when he's fit.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
borsuk

Quote:
o'shea did all right yesterday tbf. agree, though, if brown isn't fit then i'd sooner see one of the twins. probably fabio tbh but i'd be happy with rafael. you have to take the rough with the smooth and accept that a young lad is going to make some mistakes, though.

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Hmmmmm, dunno, I'd play Wes there when he's fit.
whens he back? Raphael gives a more attacking option

Unread 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
whens he back? Raphael gives a more attacking option
Not sure when he's back, not out lonng though I don't think. Raphael does give us a bit more going forwrad but is still very naive defensively. I prefer Wes there at the moment.
Closed Thread