Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-04-2023, 12:34 PM
no fun

Default Why?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...etihad-stadium

Unread 18-04-2023, 12:43 PM
Hyman_Roth

Perhaps it’s so they can cook the figures more easily - bigger capacity, more income generation etc. it’s a bit odd though as it seems fairly marginal from that point of view.

They applied to develop a £365m 23k capacity arena next door too. Struggling to understand that one in truth as there’s so little around there apart from shit housing, Asda and an empty stadium.

Seems a highly unsustainable development given the need for the majority who go there to use their cars when you have something like the MEN at Victoria.

I guess sustainability isn’t that high up for owners from Abu Dhabi. The co-op are sponsoring it though

There’s two ways of looking at this, any investment is helpful to the communities of east Manchester - but on the other, it’s city and it just feels wrong.

Edit: the arena is some American backed developer apparently.

Unread 18-04-2023, 12:44 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Because the reported costs of the new development will far, far higher than the actual costs.
So more money can be pumped into the club whilst avoiding FFP scrutiny. And most likely the firms involved in doing the work will be linked back to the Arabs. Or their mates.

Or I'm completely wrong & it's all above board & I'm jut being cynical, given their track record.

Unread 18-04-2023, 12:46 PM
believe

I’d go with this

“As with all club developments, ensuring our local community benefit is a key priority and we believe these proposals will deliver long-term economic and social opportunities, building on the regeneration work delivered in East Manchester by City Football Group since 2008.”

Unread 18-04-2023, 12:48 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I’d go with this

“As with all club developments, ensuring our local community benefit is a key priority and we believe these proposals will deliver long-term economic and social opportunities, building on the regeneration work delivered in East Manchester by City Football Group since 2008.”
But why extra seats when they only fill it twice a season?

Unread 18-04-2023, 12:57 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Free seats to kids I guess. It’s admirable if they weren’t so desperate.

Unread 18-04-2023, 01:00 PM
est.1878

Quote:
For when we ground share whilst our new ground is built next to the trafford centre

Unread 18-04-2023, 01:02 PM
suedeshoes

Money laundering.

Unread 18-04-2023, 01:13 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
For when we ground share whilst our new ground is built next to the trafford centre
That would be the end for me, not changing Mets at Cornbrook

Unread 18-04-2023, 03:28 PM
TheNew

Unread 18-04-2023, 04:09 PM
Surfers do Charlie

So that we can use it while OT is being rebuilt,

Unread 18-04-2023, 04:15 PM
doudou

Why have City submitted planning permission for work to be done to a building belonging to Manchester City Council????

And while the regeneration work to the east of the city is probably a good thing, the money has all been routed through an offshore tax haven so as to avoid paying any UK tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
So that we can use it while OT is being rebuilt,
Would be an amazing idea

Unread 18-04-2023, 04:19 PM
Curtis

They expanded last time to accommodate concert ticket sales. Nothing to do with the football team. I’m assuming this expansion will be for the same reason. Non football related event capacity/revenue.
Closed Thread