United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:10 PM
no fun

Default Your outlook on uniteds current malaise….is it an age thing?

Bumped into a time served top red yesterday morning, went for a cuppa with him.

Reminisced about the dark days of the mid seventies when we were relegated….experiencing that puts the present day worries into perspective. Then we had a bit of a monty python 3 Yorkshiremen moment when we moaned about the slapped arse youngsters not knowing what bad times really were

So got me thinking…..

Old bastards who saw us in the seventies…..will be fairly relaxed about how bad we are, good times will return

Middle aged started watching in the 80s fans….maybe a bit upset but have seen some shite so will be a bit more relaxed

90s fan boys…..absolute spit your dummy out slapped arses who think we have a divine right to win every trophy

2000s onwards…..should be in bed by 9pm

I guess the demographic of this forum is 80s/90s fanboys……do you accept football is a cyclical thing and one day the good times will return, or are you sparky?

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Bumped into a time served top red yesterday morning, went for a cuppa with him.

Reminisced about the dark days of the mid seventies when we were relegated….experiencing that puts the present day worries into perspective. Then we had a bit of a monty python 3 Yorkshiremen moment when we moaned about the slapped arse youngsters not knowing what bad times really were

So got me thinking…..

Old bastards who saw us in the seventies…..will be fairly relaxed about how bad we are, good times will return

Middle aged started watching in the 80s fans….maybe a bit upset but have seen some shite so will be a bit more relaxed

90s fan boys…..absolute spit your dummy out slapped arses who think we have a divine right to win every trophy

2000s onwards…..should be in bed by 9pm

I guess the demographic of this forum is 80s/90s fanboys……do you accept football is a cyclical thing and one day the good times will return, or are you sparky?
Shut up you @#%&!

I'm nearly 44 years old and yes i do accept that nothing is forever, no club has the divine right to win etc etc

Good times will be back, i just wish our self destruction didn't coincide with our two most bitter rivals hoovering up all the trophies...

but what can you do.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:17 PM
tatty

Just old enough to remember the 79 FAC final defeat.

Fanatical during the 80’s.

Peak pleasure years 93-99.

Interest waned in the 2000’s.

Couldn’t even name most of the players now in a photo.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:20 PM
est.1878

90s won't be beaten in life or in football.... Zen even if we turn into a future dead giant wolves... Could support rotherham all your life... Blessed and zen

Post script : this post was heavily influenced on attending less frequently and often on freebies

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:25 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
90s won't be beaten in life or in football...
This....

Things will get better, we've still won everything even since 05....

We are 100% spoilt, there's 80 odd clubs in England's pyramid that have never and will never win a bean....

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:25 PM
Hyman_Roth

First went in the late 70’s but didn’t start properly until the mid 80’s (old enough to go with mates etc).

I’ve definitely seen us being very very shit for a long time before we were good.

This is grim though. Everything about the club is depressing atm. I’m only not that arsed because I’m not that arsed about the club anymore or football in general which is an age thing and the fact the whole thing has gone to shit. My sons aren’t anything as fanatical as I was at their age though.

Makes you think.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:28 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
This....

Things will get better, we've still won everything even since 05....

We are 100% spoilt, there's 80 odd clubs in England's pyramid that have never and will never win a bean....
My argument with this is that the football landscape has changed totally with oil money.

I understood the arguments of those who didn’t want the Qatari’s but that was the chance the club had to be turned around and be competitive again…not for us oldies who had the good years…but for younger fans.

There’s already a generation of kids for whom United are just a joke club.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
My argument with this is that the football landscape has changed totally with oil money.

I understood the arguments of those who didn’t want the Qatari’s but that was the chance the club had to be turned around and be competitive again…not for us oldies who had the good years…but for younger fans.

There’s already a generation of kids for whom United are just a joke club.
I don't care to speed up the death of football or our club with more oil money / sports washing....

Maybe the parents of so called reds need to bring Thier kids up better then.... Because try and wipe the carabao cup final smile off me and my 9 year old last season in London..... Impossible, a £#%&!ing brilliant weekend and school sacked off on Monday....

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:43 PM
pc6090

I started going just as fergie was appointed so I remember how bad it was in his early days and how his signings were a bit hit and miss and how bad some if the football was. Not too dissimilar to today’s on field situation. The difference is the club was in a much better place back then. It almost feels like we are at a crossroads as a club and unless we get it right now (backing ETH and getting SJR in to run the football side asap) we could face decades of mid table struggles. Football history is littered with once great clubs now in the doldrums with no way back. There is no automatic right we have to regain our place at the top table.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:46 PM
jem

whilst there was a period of being a bit shit (whilst still being capable of beating anyone and winning the odd cup), I never felt that there was no excuse for it.

right now, there is no excuse fot it. it's not even the lack of trophies - there are teams with endless funds and it's competitive. but we don't look competent, well-coached or driven.

it's not about being spoilt and thinking we have a divine right to win things. we've seen other teams spend and fail. but everything is wrong from top to bottom. city might have done the equivalent of taking london bridge to america with barca's backroom, but we have stuck with bean counters who don't know ball and a totally haphazard scheme.

we can't expect to win everything, but we can expect to look like we know what the £#%&! we're doing.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:52 PM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Just old enough to remember the 79 FAC final defeat.

Fanatical during the 80’s.

Peak pleasure years 93-99.

Interest waned in the 2000’s.

Couldn’t even name most of the players now in a photo.
Exactly this. 79 defeat one of my first memories and started going in 1980.

Feel exactly the same these days.

Unread 10-12-2023, 12:57 PM
My Name is Heath

1993 for me

Beating Leeds to the title

Hot bird

Bret Hart WWF champ

First professional job and I looked like a Take That reject

Kanchelskis t-shirt / “The Russians Are Coming” bought from Middleton Arndale

Sessions with Mobboss

It’s certainly a partly age thing but I get briefly irritated and then I’m ok. We have experienced true glory with a squad I felt connected to.

Let’s just “enjoy” this period too - United will come back.

WHAT IS DEAD WILL NEVER DIE

Unread 10-12-2023, 01:00 PM
chooch

Definitely care less as you get older. And looking at our history, the fallow years have played as big a part in our history as the good times.

Unread 10-12-2023, 01:06 PM
larry

please merge with
https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336788

Unread 10-12-2023, 01:16 PM
Whip Hubley

Sparky 44?!?

Unread 10-12-2023, 01:43 PM
Rorschach

Whenever anyone tries to give me shit for being a red, I just shrug and say I was there for 13 titles and a couple of European Cups. Nobody can compete with that and it soon winds their necks in.

We are currently shit. We've been shit before. No big deal.

Unread 10-12-2023, 01:44 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
whilst there was a period of being a bit shit (whilst still being capable of beating anyone and winning the odd cup), I never felt that there was no excuse for it.

right now, there is no excuse fot it. it's not even the lack of trophies - there are teams with endless funds and it's competitive. but we don't look competent, well-coached or driven.

it's not about being spoilt and thinking we have a divine right to win things. we've seen other teams spend and fail. but everything is wrong from top to bottom. city might have done the equivalent of taking london bridge to america with barca's backroom, but we have stuck with bean counters who don't know ball and a totally haphazard scheme.

we can't expect to win everything, but we can expect to look like we know what the £#%&! we're doing.
agree with most of this. The lack of league success in the early 80s didn't;t feel quite as bad when FA cups meant a lot more. The early Fergie years were bad but again we hadn't won the league in decades so wasn't as painful. Right now, financially we should be in a position to be challenging for the league and Europe every year but we're not even close. And that feels much worse than it should.

I don't think it's an age thing at all. Yes there's a new generation of #@&%! but they are only taking over the previous generation of #@&%!s and have social media to amplify it.

Unread 10-12-2023, 01:50 PM
redhegemony

Definitely reflected in the crowd yesterday. When the first goal went in a bloke in his 40s attempted to launch a cup of tea at Onana. It went over the rows in front cue argy bargy, he was shouting at everyone. One young Steward on his own came and took him out. Maybe it was a protest about the quality of the tea.

Bloke next to us late 20s maybe who I have never see before, lots of regulars missing yesterday, spent the entire game moaning at every player largely shouting ' get him off' when I asked who for he said ' I dunno'.

Mind you old fella in front who is always good Entertainment kept shouting ' hoof it' thinking we had Mark Huges or Joe Jordan playing up front rather than the feckless gloved mannequin.

Always going to be a mixed bag of the phlegmatic and the lunatics and everything in between.

Can I claim for the drops of lukewarm tea that rained onto my Barnet?

Unread 10-12-2023, 02:14 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach
Whenever anyone tries to give me shit for being a red, I just shrug and say I was there for 13 titles and a couple of European Cups. Nobody can compete with that and it soon winds their necks in.

We are currently shit. We've been shit before. No big deal.
It is though. Hurts like £#%&!.

But, also agree with most points made by most - I've supported United through the greatest period in our history, was going regular, was there. We absolutely have been spoiled but it still doesn't make this shit less bearable.

Unread 10-12-2023, 02:16 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony

Can I claim for the drops of lukewarm tea that rained onto my Barnet?
Not if you were in the Stretford end, subsection 3(1) of your terms and conditions state that a stream of dripping liquid on your bonce is part of the match going experience