United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:24 PM
believe

The definition of “fantastic” has changed a lot since the days of Sharpe and Kanchelskis.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:45 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
The definition of “fantastic” has changed a lot since the days of Sharpe and Kanchelskis.
It’s an incredible call tbf

Unread 14-05-2023, 01:36 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

23 isn’t that young really. Next season is the big one for him. If we’re comparing him to Brazilians in the league of years gone by then his output is in the league of an Elano or Juninho. Fine (both were more regular fixtures in their national teams), but not title winning players. Needs another 5-10 league goals next season. Big part of why we’ve scored around the same as Leicester City who are 19th.

Unread 14-05-2023, 02:28 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Not knocking him, just saying that the statement that Antony needs to be where Garnacho is based on a 10 minute cameo isn't right or fair.
Okay I was being intentionally hyperbolic and it’s of course based on what he’s shown already. My point was Garnacho looks a generational talent, Antony doesn’t.

And just to add, I’m definitely pro Antony. He’s going to be a great signing. I’m l already feel better when I see his name on the team sheet.

Unread 15-05-2023, 11:59 AM
BigJim

i don't think he's that far away from being a top PL player. With just a bit of composure he could have had 2 goals and 2 assists v Wolves and we'd be talking about one of the performances of the season. With some tweaks to his game he's close.

That being said, without the right attitude he may as well be a million miles away. If he's humble and learns his trade he'll be brilliant; if he thinks he's arrived already he'll be another Richarlison.

Unread 16-05-2023, 07:03 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Made big Garth’s team of the week

Quote:
The star of the show was Antony who looked electric on the day. The Brazilian's ability is not in question, but all too often against the better teams he struggles by allowing his frustrations to get the better of him.

Unread 16-05-2023, 07:43 AM
magic_cantona

I look at him as an integral part of our first team. If he's fit, he plays and I always want him to play. Yes, the constant use of his left foot is annoying but that will improve. He gets back to help out and has the right attitude. He's not Giggs but it's his first season.

Quality player.

Garnacho and Antony are the next 5 years and will both do well.

Unread 16-05-2023, 07:58 AM
Dr Stranger

He’s very frustrating and a little predictable, but he works his arse off and keeps coming back. That’s a big feature for a winger. So many of them hide if things don’t go their way. Antony is one of those who will keep coming at you. There’s been plenty of times this season where he’s been our biggest threat in games where we’ve offered very little. We’ve got plenty of shrinking violets who just melt away when the going gets tough. He isn’t one of them.

He’s relatively inexperienced at the top level and first season is always a learning curve. I think it’s fine to expect more, but there’s plenty there to be positive about.

Those cut inside curlers are going to start going on with some frequency soon.

Unread 16-05-2023, 08:24 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
He’s very frustrating and a little predictable, but he works his arse off and keeps coming back.
Harsh on Magic etc

Unread 16-05-2023, 09:07 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers View Post
Harsh on Magic etc
Compliment if anything. magic working?!

Unread 16-05-2023, 10:01 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
Compliment if anything. magic working?!
Oooooooh!🤌🏻

Unread 16-05-2023, 11:52 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
Okay I was being intentionally hyperbolic and it’s of course based on what he’s shown already. My point was Garnacho looks a generational talent, Antony doesn’t.

And just to add, I’m definitely pro Antony. He’s going to be a great signing. I’m l already feel better when I see his name on the team sheet.
It’s easy to forget, before Antony, our right wing was literally non-existent for years. Not exactly ideal now but our only threat being lw was entirely predictable and easy to defend. Not surprisingly, awb has benefitted and flourishing. Typically United, one step forward two steps back, neither flank has anyone to aim at… never any £#%&!er in the box.

Antony good. Got balls.

Unread 16-05-2023, 12:03 PM
Baron

I think if you look at someone else who's got a lot of talent & did the sum of £#%&! all on the wing in the PL like Eze, it sometimes takes a couple of seasons before the penny drops, the confidence in yourself is 100% are maybe some stuff in your personal life settles down.

I'm almost certain Sancho for example is having a full Tom Cruise crisis of confidence. Would be nice if he put in the same amount of running though.

Using Eze as the example, he scored 1 goal last season, 4 the year before. This season he already has 10 & he's only turned 24 last summer. Zaha isn't dissimilar, lots of talent when we had him, no end product or leadership / awareness of his role until he hit 25.

Obviously using 2 Palace wingers is a bit of a weird comparison vs £80m worth of Utd player, but the difference that can occur from one season to the next for enigmatic players is tangible.

Antony has the talent & mentality to do it, if he had a consistent & quality RB to build a relationship with alongside a top class striker we'd see that much more of his qualities.

Would back him for double figures in goals & assists next term.

Unread 16-05-2023, 12:58 PM
Denis Irwell

Yep. Sancho obvs a Woodward recruit. As stated above, mismanagement, even more than lack of investment the reason for this farcical state of affairs. Manchester United: probably the biggest monmaking sports club on the planet, citing no value, nearly a decade without a right winger (Valencia was the first of a series of fb expected to a rw at the same time) but half a dozen left wingers and now, not one striker. Regardless of who buys the club, my fear is that for once, now we halve a half-decent structure in place, we’ll rip it up and start all over again.

Antony: goes a long way to improving the rw and AWB but suddenly finds himself without a striker and expected to chip in there as well as assist the RBI

Unread 26-05-2023, 11:16 AM
Dr Stranger

Looked a bad one. No way he’s making the final.

Couldn’t just get through two games with no injuries, could we.

Unread 26-05-2023, 11:17 AM
believe

Fingers crossed it’s his right foot and he can still play.

Unread 26-05-2023, 11:18 AM
NedKelly

Unread 26-05-2023, 11:24 AM
Bunker Buster

We had a chance in the final with him.....

Now I'm just gutted ..

Unread 26-05-2023, 11:28 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
We had a chance in the final with him.....

Now I'm just gutted ..
we're going to have to tony up top aren't we? rashford martial sancho?

Unread 26-05-2023, 11:30 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
we're going to have to tony up top aren't we? rashford martial sancho?
I’m hoping he goes all out and puts Garnacho on, Rashford through the middle and Sancho on the right. Would genuinely take Weghorst over Martial though.