United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 21-02-2020, 11:29 PM
redhegemony

Keep Andreas as a squad player ship out Matic mata and the awful lingard

Unread 21-02-2020, 11:48 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
what for?

Unread 22-02-2020, 12:57 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Chong has been talking to other clubs

Unread 22-02-2020, 02:59 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
It's not great is it? But I'd like to think the Andreas/Jessie experiment will be over soon. Not sure though, as Ole seems to still think Pereira has something to offer. Have no idea what he is seeing.
He has something to offer in the sense the alternatives are just as bad or worse. He’s nowhere near the team when everyone is fit. And he’s getting further away in the summer, assuming the club don’t £#%&! up the players ole wants.

Unread 22-02-2020, 03:05 AM
Chris Quayd

Andreas, Lingard, Matic and Mata, people need to make their peace with at least two of them being here next season. Even in the very best case we might get rid of three or even four of them, but only two replacements would be coming in.

Unread 22-02-2020, 04:05 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Andreas, Lingard, Matic and Mata, people need to make their peace with at least two of them being here next season. Even in the very best case we might get rid of three or even four of them, but only two replacements would be coming in.
I’d be happy if woodward managed to get a deal for one of them which made the glazers ok the deal. Woodward and the glazers aren’t capable of the turnover we need in sales and purchases this summer. I’d be impressed if there’s 3 out and 3 in, which is even worse considering the players coming back from loan.

Unread 22-02-2020, 05:12 AM
utd99

Quote:
Matic is still ten times the player Pereira will ever be.

Unread 22-02-2020, 08:29 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Jesus no. If we have to keep one then Matic. If two then add Mata. At least he can pass a ball.

Unread 22-02-2020, 10:03 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Mata was given a new contract in the summer so I can’t see many teams actually paying any sort of fee and his high wages. It was a ridiculous decision to give a long term contract.

I think only matic is likely to leave out of those 4 tbh.

Unread 22-02-2020, 11:01 AM
andyroo

Mata should be moving into a coaching role like Carrick towards the end of his playing days. He's still got loads to offer but not so much on the pitch.

Unread 22-02-2020, 11:08 AM
dunk

Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Romero, the other keeper who's name I can never remember, Matic, Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Gomes, Pogba and Sanchez all to be gone, permanently, by the start of next season, for me.

If Bailly's injury record doesn't improve, he can GTFO too, jury is out on Dalot for similar reasons.

Problem then will be us only signing 2 players and having an even weaker squad next season as 4 of that lot leave on a free and the rest for knock down prices leaving us with £#%&! all to re-invest

Unread 22-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Romero, the other keeper who's name I can never remember, Matic, Mata, Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Gomes, Pogba and Sanchez all to be gone, permanently, by the start of next season, for me.

If Bailly's injury record doesn't improve, he can GTFO too, jury is out on Dalot for similar reasons.

Problem then will be us only signing 2 players and having an even weaker squad next season as 4 of that lot leave on a free and the rest for knock down prices leaving us with £#%&! all to re-invest
This is the problem. All of those players should not be at the club next season (or this season really), but there is no way we'll be able to turnover that many players in the next window, especially if we bring a quality player.

There's going to be a few of those players that are still at the club next season, and we can either make them earn their wage at times through the season, or just condemn them to the reserves and struggle on with a paper thin first team that get run into the ground.

We're not going to be happy with the squad or the players that have to play at times for another good few years yet, it won't matter who the manager is either.

Unread 22-02-2020, 11:27 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
This is the problem. All of those players should not be at the club next season (or this season really), but there is no way we'll be able to turnover that many players in the next window, especially if we bring a quality player.

There's going to be a few of those players that are still at the club next season, and we can either make them earn their wage at times through the season, or just condemn them to the reserves and struggle on with a paper thin first team that get run into the ground.

We're not going to be happy with the squad or the players that have to play at times for another good few years yet, it won't matter who the manager is either.
Yep, proper poisoned chalice tackle atm.

Be interesting to see if the market is affected by City's FFP woes this summer..

Unread 22-02-2020, 12:26 PM
AK14

Quote:

Problem then will be us only signing 2 players and having an even weaker squad next season as 4 of that lot leave on a free and the rest for knock down prices leaving us with f*** all to re-invest
That’s the problem isn’t it.

But if we recruit smartly over the next couple of seasons it’s very achievable. It’s why we should be looking at the lower leagues and out of contract players (Fraser ) to find young hungry players or players potentially ready for the next step up along with quality players.

Not all our signings need to be 50m+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

And by that time the likes of Maguire, Fred, De Gea, Pogba () will all be close to or over 30 and could possibly need replacing too.

Unread 22-02-2020, 12:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
That’s the problem isn’t it.

But if we recruit smartly over the next couple of seasons it’s very achievable. It’s why we should be looking at the lower leagues and out of contract players (Fraser ) to find young hungry players or players potentially ready for the next step up along with quality players.

Not all our signings need to be 50m+.

And by that time the likes of Maguire, Fred, De Gea, Pogba () will all be close to or over 30 and could possibly need replacing too.
Probably why they were trying to sign Longstaff in the summer, allegedly, and Bellingham, a 16 year old from the Championship, in January and look what happened to the asking prices there :£#%&!erthe selling clubs, Bellingham is up to £50m now isn't he? Whatever happened to Reece Oxford ) There is very little chance of doing anything cheaply, we have to accept that and if we do find something/someone then it's a bonus.

Your last line is exactly why I'm against signings like Matic, he needs replacing now before we've had chance to replace half of the players that needed replacing before he arrived and he cost £40m. Surely we could've done better with that money? Imagine we'd signed Boateng/Alderweireld, Wilian and Perisic ffs If you can get them for next to £#%&! all, fair enough, but paying proper money for anyone over 27-28 is a fools errand, unless the rest of the squad is set.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:01 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Fred is 26. Bruno around the same I think. That’s the age we need to be recruiting, as well as some younger talent. Are we really going to pass over a 25 year old because we need five more years to transition

Can’t agree on this long term pain thing at all. Two more windows max and we should be where we need to be to compete. Of course this is where ole will need to earn his money. The signing of Bruno has given me a bit more optimism that we’re on the right track, although that may change if we don’t beat Watford.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
Fred is 26. Bruno around the same I think. That’s the age we need to be recruiting, as well as some younger talent. Are we really going to pass over a 25 year old because we need five more years to transition

Can’t agree on this long term pain thing at all. Two more windows max and we should be where we need to be to compete. Of course this is where ole will need to earn his money. The signing of Bruno has given me a bit more optimism that we’re on the right track, although that may change if we don’t beat Watford.
You're deluded if you think we're signing 5-8 players in the next 12 months and even more deluded if you think we can compete with less.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:07 PM
shenwen

Quote:
You're deluded if you think we're signing 5-8 players in the next 12 months and even more deluded if you think we can compete with less.
Five players over two windows is perfectly reasonable. That’s exactly what we did In the past two windows.

And if we can’t compete with an additional five players added to this squad then the manager wants shooting.

£#%&! me, people carrying on like we’re Sunderland.

Unread 22-02-2020, 01:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Five players over two windows is perfectly reasonable. That’s exactly what we did In the past two windows.

And if we can’t compete with an additional five players added to this squad then the manager wants shooting.

£#%&! me, people carrying on like we’re Sunderland.
Reasonable for another club maybe. No way United are signing 5 of the required standard over the summer and next January, and 5 would be the absolute minimum anyway.

I listed 15 players that need binning earlier, players that absolutely everyone agrees need £#%&!ing off asap, doesn't leave much for the manager to work with without major reinforcements, and as competing effectively means winning absolutely every game, without fail, I'd say we're absolutely £#%&!ing miles away regardless of manager.

Unread 22-02-2020, 02:13 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Reasonable for another club maybe. No way United are signing 5 of the required standard over the summer and next January, and 5 would be the absolute minimum anyway.

I listed 15 players that need binning earlier, players that absolutely everyone agrees need £#%&!ing off asap, doesn't leave much for the manager to work with without major reinforcements, and as competing effectively means winning absolutely every game, without fail, I'd say we're absolutely £#%&!ing miles away regardless of manager.
Sure but the last two windows we did well. Nothing to say we can’t do well again. Add five players (for sake of argument three solid buys, two up and coming such as AWB) to the likes of AWB, de Gea, Williams, Maguire, Bailly, Bruno, lindelof, Tuanzabe, McT, Fred, Rashford, Martial James, Greenwood, plus some academy players and we have to be ready to compete. No excuses. I don’t think we are in half as bad a state as you do.

And since when did competing mean winning every single game? Liverpool are having a freak season. See City the season before and City now. Winning every game has never been the yardstick of success and what’s happening this season doesn’t change that.