United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Bunker Buster

Default Antonio Valencia (Wing Wizard ?)

Its Possibly been discussed but i had a little search, but whats happened to 'confidence kid'....?

He never was going to be 'the new Ronaldo' or a replacement for him, but he seems to have lost the ability to beat a man.

He slows the game down now and over thinks what he does next...

against CSK (away) he Terrorised their left back....inside outside, drop the shoulder in and out. He's scored a few goals by cutting inside and having a go! his goals have seemed to be a last ditched effort though.

Is he a United Right winger?

He seemes to get stuck with the ball now, shepered towards the byeline and made to go back....he's strong and has the pace but looks very ' defendable'

he doesnt chop and change things, never really showed much at wigan.

we seemed to have scrimped and saved/banked any cash we had and made done with ageing wingers and a lame chester @#%&! who cant keep his feet up with his head.

I like Antonio and hope he isnt being 'coached' into slowing the play down...

Love united bombing forward on the wings and attacking the last man or wingback.....Does he have the ability to push on forward of is he being flippant and extreme in the little bits of flair we have seen....?

I cant make my mind up about the lad...

Unread 13-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

Default Re: Antonio Valencia (Wing Wizard ?)

team player
kept cole on the backfoot last sunday
he'll do for me

Unread 13-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst
team player
kept cole on the backfoot last sunday
he'll do for me
Team Player............... what is this thing ? Part of a team? plays for the team?

He kept cole on the back foot until around the 18yard box quadrent....Then cole held him up and he went backwards...(To you know who)

He obviously CAN nip inside or take on the left back, as he as shown.....but he seems to have stopped doing, is what im trying to say...

He worrys me

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Crumps

Good winger, reasonably encouraging start so far and will develop his game here, wouldn't mind seeing him play centre mid from time to time. Too many people (including the usual suspects in Fredland) seem too eager to write him off simply because he came from Wigan. I think the general consensus will be extremely positive regarding him a couple of years down the line.

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:22 AM
History

Ronaldo used to always get the ball and slow the pace down???? That's why we were so predicatable last year.

Carrick to Scholes, Scholes to Ronaldo making the run, Ronaldo gets the ball then proceeds to stop and do 5 stepovers why a defender stands there. Ronaldo the gives it back to john o'shea who gives it to carrick and then the move starts over.

Valencia gets the ball and is always looking to drive forward, but you cant always do that, even Ronaldo couldnt do that. Pass and move is the key, and once he gels, and feels more confident. The right side when Rafael comes back could very well end up being a force.

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Ronaldo used to always get the ball and slow the pace down???? That's why we were so predicatable last year.

Ronaldo hardly slowed the pace of the game.....He always looked forward..Selfishly forward.

Onwards all the time to attack the penalty area.

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Ronaldo hardly slowed the pace of the game.....He always looked forward..Selfishly forward.

Onwards all the time to attack the penalty area.
Not always.

This is not rubbishing his contribution the lad was our main goalscorer the one who'd always attack the penalty area without the ball, looking for that pass across the face of goal. However, quite often last season he did exactly what History says above

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Mr_Ed

He needs to run at men and into the box a bit more.

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
He needs to run at men and into the box a bit more.
The Man Who Runs at Men.

Unread 14-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
The Man Who Runs at Men.
I beg your pardon?

Andy Townsend (not on the tactics bus) pointed out he will go forward to the edge of the 18 yard box and that's about it.

He should drive at the defenders, into the box, shoot a bit more and let me know what gel he uses to keep his hair looking so slick - it's immense.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I beg your pardon?

Andy Townsend (not on the tactics bus) pointed out he will go forward to the edge of the 18 yard box and that's about it.

He should drive at the defenders, into the box, shoot a bit more and let me know what gel he uses to keep his hair looking so slick - it's immense.
You see that's what annoys me about £#%&! pundits. Sweeping generalisations like that. He does do that at times, but not all of the time as he has proven this season to date. If anyone who has seen all of his games for Utd so far claims that, they're lying.

He should certainly shoot more though - agree with that.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:21 AM
utd99

Has no left foot, which both massively narrows his options when he doesn't have a right back who overlaps, and begs the question of whether 19m on a player whose left peg is for standing only was a wise move.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Bunker Buster

Ive seen every game he has played in since Munich pre season....

and he has recently started stopping and thinking when running at the backline....

im not sure if its coaching, a confidence problem, or just a winger settling in...not believing in his own ability.

because as he has shown already, if he drops the shoulder and takes on the last defender (Terry, CSK, munich) he'll score goals and create chances....

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Has no left foot, which both massively narrows his options when he doesn't have a right back who overlaps, and begs the question of whether 19m on a player whose left peg is for standing only was a wise move.
It was 16m wasn't it?

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Whalefish

Quote:

and he has recently started stopping and thinking when running at the backline....

im not sure if its coaching, a confidence problem, or just a winger settling in...not believing in his own ability.

because as he has shown already, if he drops the shoulder and takes on the last defender (Terry, CSK, munich) he'll score goals and create chances....
Word.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:46 AM
utd99

Quote:

Or it could be that if you demonstrate a marked reluctance to go left then better quality defenders will twig that in short time and compensate. No matter how fast you are, you cannot keep giving Premiership defenders a 3/4 yard head start and consistantly beat them on the outside.

He'll either have to develop his inside game or resort to knocking the ball back to O'Shea to retain possession.

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Or it could be that if you demonstrate a marked reluctance to go left then better quality defenders will twig that in short time and compensate. No matter how fast you are, you cannot keep giving Premiership defenders a 3/4 yard head start and consistantly beat them on the outside.

He'll either have to develop his inside game or resort to knocking the ball back to O'Shea to retain possession.
Well as i have flitted with both sides of the argument, i both agree and disagree.

he has a future at united of that im sure.....

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:49 AM
Sloppy

You got a song for him bunker?

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
You got a song for him bunker?

Ive been working on a few...........

going to rustle one up for you now slopser.....Old skool vibe?

Unread 14-11-2009, 01:56 AM
utd99

Quote:
Well as i have flitted with both sides of the argument, i both agree and disagree.

he has a future at united of that im sure.....
Don't get me wrong, any true Red should want the boy to be a success, it's just that from what I have seen so far, that will depend on both his ability to develop some variety to his game and the type of Right Back we play behind him. Because at the moment both are too limited and predictable.
Closed Thread