United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-12-2016, 11:57 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He wasn't "lazy" or "spineless" FFS.

Just not quite the player who United needed at that time.
I find the insult of 'lazy' quite lazy.

Unread 14-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I find the insult of 'lazy' quite lazy.
Correct, normally peddled by shitty journalists.

Obviously he had a very languid style, but that made him the player he was.

Quite happily paid to watch him week in week out, but some of the frustrations with him were totally valid. He seemed to not give too much of a £#%&! about the result, providing he played the game his way.....

Superb player. And nothing really like Ibra, an odd comparison IMO.

Unread 14-12-2016, 10:32 AM
TheFatGoth

Berb was a dream. One of the best players to ever play for us.

Massively underrated by thick United fans.

"he slows our play down"

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Correct, normally peddled by shitty journalists.

Obviously he had a very languid style, but that made him the player he was.

Quite happily paid to watch him week in week out, but some of the frustrations with him were totally valid. He seemed to not give too much of a £#%&! about the result, providing he played the game his way.....

Superb player. And nothing really like Ibra, an odd comparison IMO.

Exactly. He wasn't lazy, he was languid. It wasn't helped by the fact his direct competition was often Tevez, who would chase down anything and everything.

Fergie wouldn't have a lazy player leading his line for £30m.

He ultimately flattered to deceive and didn't really fit in. Did go missing at key moments, but contributed more than people give him credit for. Scored 20+ goals to fire us to the title. RVP did the same and was lauded for it. Similar prices too.

There's also something to be said for simply enjoying watching a player. He was so talented and unpredictable and that was exciting. I enjoyed watching him.

The more I see of Zlat, the less I think he's like Berbatov.

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:17 AM
dunk

Didn't want us to sign him, did far better for us than was given credit for though, should've played more in 09-10 and 11-12, probs would've had a CL Final and another title or 2 if he had. Like Mata, a player i enjoy watching for other teams far more than I enjoy watching in a United shirt.

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:29 AM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Noooo... Browser?! Pal(s)?
Tis true, At the last count there was roughly 143 of us.

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Exactly. He wasn't lazy, he was languid. It wasn't helped by the fact his direct competition was often Tevez, who would chase down anything and everything.

Fergie wouldn't have a lazy player leading his line for £30m.

He ultimately flattered to deceive and didn't really fit in. Did go missing at key moments, but contributed more than people give him credit for. Scored 20+ goals to fire us to the title. RVP did the same and was lauded for it. Similar prices too.

There's also something to be said for simply enjoying watching a player. He was so talented and unpredictable and that was exciting. I enjoyed watching him.

The more I see of Zlat, the less I think he's like Berbatov.
like i said earlier and many times before, as far as combinations go berbatov worked best with tevez.

fergie obviously neither intended that to be the case, or wanted to deal with the implication of it being the case.

that was berbatov's downfall at united.

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:35 AM
browser

I just liked watching him:

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:38 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
How much more would he be appreciated?

As much as I love Ibra and everything about him, he's surprised me with his profligacy when it comes to converting chances.. he's delivered Nqat but could easily be into the 20 plus bracket with the chances he's had this season. Notable misses v city, Liverpool and Burnley spring to mind.

A big leap granted but the way Ibra carries himself reminds me so much of Berba, genuinely think he'd be top goal scorer in the league if he played in this system.

Tevez, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berba - £#%&! we were spoiled!
Name one player who is?

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:48 AM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Name one player who is?
There aren't any. I was suggesting Berbs has a better chance conversion ratio than Ibra, who's missed a few memorable opportunities this year. Also suggesting that he'd be a better fit within our side now, than he was back in '08.

try to keep up.

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:58 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
There aren't any. I was suggesting Berbs has a better chance conversion ratio than Ibra, who's missed a few memorable opportunities this year. Also suggesting that he'd be a better fit within our side now, than he was back in '08.

try to keep up.
So there's no perfect striker?

Ibra has been fine, brings more to the team than just goals and everyone can see that. The reason we're miles behind isn't because he's missed 4 chances, but because the rest aren't doing much so we rely far too much on him for goals.

Unread 14-12-2016, 12:26 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
So there's no perfect striker?

Ibra has been fine, brings more to the team than just goals and everyone can see that. The reason we're miles behind isn't because he's missed 4 chances, but because the rest aren't doing much so we rely far too much on him for goals.
When did i mention a perfect striker you oddball?

Ibra's been more than fine considering his age and fee, he's led the line brilliantly well at times and scored at a decent rate outside of our European games. My purely hypothetical question pertained to whether Berba's skillset would be more appreciated in the setup we have now, rather than when he was signed. I think it would be, particularly in the one touch passing moves between Mkhitarian, Pogba, Lingard et al of recent weeks and he'd have finished a higher percentage of chances (imo), which would have seen us draw fewer games against the likes of Burnely and Stoke and probably pushed us up the table a little

Unread 14-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
When did i mention a perfect striker you oddball?

Ibra's been more than fine considering his age and fee, he's led the line brilliantly well at times and scored at a decent rate outside of our European games. My purely hypothetical question pertained to whether Berba's skillset would be more appreciated in the setup we have now, rather than when he was signed. I think it would be, particularly in the one touch passing moves between Mkhitarian, Pogba, Lingard et al of recent weeks and he'd have finished a higher percentage of chances (imo), which would have seen us draw fewer games against the likes of Burnely and Stoke and probably pushed us up the table a little
Berbs missed them too. I wouldn't say he's any more reliable in front of goal than Zlatan.

Different styles too. Would Berbs have scored Zlatan's headed goals, for example?

Zlatan's misses have largely coincided with a dip in form and can be attributed to that IMO.

Unread 14-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Berbs missed them too. I wouldn't say he's any more reliable in front of goal than Zlatan.

Different styles too. Would Berbs have scored Zlatan's headed goals, for example?

Zlatan's misses have largely coincided with a dip in form and can be attributed to that IMO.
coincided more with united creating less chances - the more chances you can make the more the opponent makes mistakes the easier those chances get and the less pressure on the chances as well... the point is in there somewhere...

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:06 PM
lookingforeric

Thumbs up He's coming back

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...jose-mourinho/

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:07 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforeric
Ibra and Berba

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:31 PM
MagnificentSeven

loved berbs fond memories of him during the 2010/11 season.

playing centre back against leeds.

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:40 PM
red in cumbria

He still wants to play top level football at 35 - lazy?

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:47 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He still wants to play top level football at 35 - lazy?
[SIZE="5"]I still want to play top level football and im a lot older than 35 ffs

Unread 14-12-2016, 11:49 PM
red in cumbria

He is rich enough to put his feet up for the rest of his life, and is revered in his home country. He wants to play football still because he loves it.

Haterz gonna hate
Closed Thread