United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-07-2019, 04:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Not the same thing though, she has played with the homosexual players with (apparently) no issue whatsoever. It's not a case of 'not wanting to mix with homosexuals'.

From what we know at least, she hasn't discriminated against homosexuality, she just doesn't want to personally promote it. Completely separate issues.
They're not that different though really, if we want to be grown up about it.

Many of us blokes might feel a bit funny about wearing something with a rainbow on it for a couple of hours, but maybe we need that bit of a push. There's no real excuse for refusing to take part in a promotion of equality. Even if it makes you a little uncomfy, nobody is asking you to suck a dick. Just grow up and think a little more selflessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
‘Equality’ as a concept (aside from being unachievable and undesirable) is incapable of being harmed as it isn’t a person and should not benefit from the protection of the law. If you think an idea to be sacrosanct you are in effect proposing a modern blasphemy law.

You appear to believe that humanity is capable of making moral progress towards a teleological end. You are very much mistaken in this regard, and yourself exhibit a form religious thinking. Your talk of ‘reprimanding’ those of a different opinion is illustrative and part of a deeply worrying authoritarian trend.
Equality can be achieved all the time. If you give someone the confidence to be themselves and not feel inferior, you have achieved it there. These campaigns might upset a few poor souls who have to read the headlines, but they help a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
If someone asked me to wear a pride badge to work every day, I’d say no. If they said wear it or be fired, I’d consult a good employment lawyer. In my last job, wearing a rainbow lanyard was optional. I opted not to (even though I’d never wear it around my neck anyway.)

Nothing against anyone. Like to think I’m pretty okay with all sorts.
Just feel uncomfortable with what for me would be pointless virtue signalling.
They're a group of people being watched by millions across the world tbf. There's more of a point to that.

Unread 12-07-2019, 04:47 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
nobody is asking you to suck a dick.
Yet.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:08 PM
Patty_b

Quote:

They are two completely separate issues completely. There's a massive difference between actively discriminating against people, and not actively supporting their cause. Huge difference. It doesn't matter if you are being grown up about it or not.

Quote:
Many of us blokes might feel a bit funny about wearing something with a rainbow on it for a couple of hours, but maybe we need that bit of a push. There's no real excuse for refusing to take part in a promotion of equality. Even if it makes you a little uncomfy, nobody is asking you to suck a dick. Just grow up and think a little more selflessly.
Couldn't give a shit personally. I'd rock it all day. I've no issues, religious or otherwise.

But if some Christian, Jewish or Muslim colleague said "Sorry lads, I'd rather not due to my personal beliefs", then I wouldn't have a problem with it, and I wouldn't think less of them personally.

If they said "Sorry lads I'd rather not and I refuse to work with or be in the vicinity any one who is gay", I'd probably think he's a bit of a homophobic @#%&!.

Massive difference, imo.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:09 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Equality can be achieved all the time. If you give someone the confidence to be themselves and not feel inferior, you have achieved it there. These campaigns might upset a few poor souls who have to read the headlines, but they help a lot of people.

They're a group of people being watched by millions across the world tbf. There's more of a point to that.
Why do we need to feel ok wearing a rainbow though? Because a minority says we should? . I'll be honest, if you see a person wearing a rainbow you assume they are homosexual. Of course, nothing wrong with that, but why should we be mad to feel uncomfortable just because we are being forced to accept its politically correct?

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Why do we need to feel ok wearing a rainbow though? Because a minority says we should? . I'll be honest, if you see a person wearing a rainbow you assume they are homosexual. Of course, nothing wrong with that, but why should we be mad to feel uncomfortable just because its politically correct?
Because it’s smoke and mirrors mate. They don’t give a £#%&! if you wear the rainbow, they’re just trying to find the point of resistance so that the movements themselves can justify their continued existence. Conflict is their lifeblood; with it they can expand their reach and power, without it they’re irrelevant.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

They are two completely separate issues completely. There's a massive difference between actively discriminating against people, and not actively supporting their cause. Huge difference. It doesn't matter if you are being grown up about it or not.

Couldn't give a shit personally. I'd rock it all day. I've no issues, religious or otherwise.

But if some Christian, Jewish or Muslim colleague said "Sorry lads, I'd rather not due to my personal beliefs", then I wouldn't have a problem with it, and I wouldn't think less of them personally.

If they said "Sorry lads I'd rather not and I refuse to work with or be in the vicinity any one who is gay", I'd probably think he's a bit of a homophobic @#%&!.

Massive difference, imo.
Quote:
Why do we need to feel ok wearing a rainbow though? Because a minority says we should? . I'll be honest, if you see a person wearing a rainbow you assume they are homosexual. Of course, nothing wrong with that, but why should we be mad to feel uncomfortable just because we are being forced to accept its politically correct?
This is a little extra colour in the shirt numbers. It's a group gesture. Nobody is going to assume you're gay. It's hard to imagine why you'd separate yourself and make a point unless you quite strongly object to the cause. It's not indifference; it's objection.

It's definitely a complicated one but I end up not having too much sympathy for the rebels. We gotta move forward with this.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:38 PM
utd99

Quote:
This is a little extra colour in the shirt numbers. It's a group gesture. Nobody is going to assume you're gay. It's hard to imagine why you'd separate yourself and make a point unless you quite strongly object to the cause. It's not indifference; it's objection.
Or could it simply be an objection to being ordered to represent in a certain way, which is the literal opposite of the right to self determine people were striving for for the better part of the 20th century. In this arena all roads lead to the same place; one, or few, individuals making a subjective determination of motive, intent and purpose then subjecting them to whatever sanction they deem fit. We could ALL say that something we don’t agree with constitutes hate speech, but that cannot supersede the basic tenet of freedom of expression.

Look, ultimately you either agree with the concept of free speech, freedom of expression and the right to self determine or you don’t. It can’t only be applied to people you agree with - and if you promote the idea that mob rule is justified then you had better hope the opposition movement doesn’t grow big enough to eventually subject you to it.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Because it’s smoke and mirrors mate. They don’t give a £#%&! if you wear the rainbow, they’re just trying to find the point of resistance so that the movements themselves can justify their continued existence. Conflict is their lifeblood; with it they can expand their reach and power, without it they’re irrelevant.
Quote:
Or could it simply be an objection to being ordered to represent in a certain way, which is the literal opposite of the right to self determine people were striving for for the better part of the 20th century. In this arena all roads lead to the same place; one, or few, individuals making a subjective determination of motive, intent and purpose then subjecting them to whatever sanction they deem fit. We could ALL say that something we don’t agree with constitutes hate speech, but that cannot supersede the basic tenet of freedom of expression.

Look, ultimately you either agree you either agree with free speech, freedom of expression and the right to self determine or you don’t. It can’t only be applied to people you agree with - and if you promote the idea that mob rule is justified then you had better hope the opposition movement doesn’t grow big enough to eventually subject you to it.
Exactly. The aim is not freedom of speech it’s the imposition of a society built on their principles with them in charge. Just because it’s couched in the language of “equality” and “compassion” doesn’t make it any less worrying for those that can reason further than the end of their nose.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
Exactly. The aim is not freedom of speech it’s the imposition of a society built on their principles with them in charge. Just because it’s couched in the language of “equality” and “compassion” doesn’t make it any less worrying for those that can reason further than the end of their nose.
I think it’s a mental disorder.

Unread 12-07-2019, 05:57 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

It's definitely a complicated one but I end up not having too much sympathy for the rebels. We gotta move forward with this.
I don't object to the LGBT community but why should I have to wear a rainbow to show this? Why are we being made to feel like we 'must' show this? The majority of companies are only displaying rainbow flags on LinkedIn and outside shops because they are fearful of the repercussions if they don't.

Its bullshit.

On a separate note, this is, genuinely, one of the most interesting threads I have read ok thread and have had to Google a number or words.

Unread 12-07-2019, 06:00 PM
no fun

Quote:
The majority of companies are only displaying rainbow flags on LinkedIn and outside shops because they are fearful of the repercussions if they don't.
Not necessarily

It’s also good for business, the pink pound is very strong

Unread 12-07-2019, 06:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Totally agree, sport and politics ideally shouldn't mix
Ideally that should indeed be the case.

But in reality, politics always has affected sport and always will.

Unread 12-07-2019, 06:02 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Not necessarily

It’s also good for business, the pink pound is very strong
Same point applies - they are doing it for ulterior motives...

Unread 12-07-2019, 06:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:

Look, ultimately you either agree with the concept of free speech, freedom of expression and the right to self determine or you don’t. It can’t only be applied to people you agree with - and if you promote the idea that mob rule is justified then you had better hope the opposition movement doesn’t grow big enough to eventually subject you to it.
Quote:
You'll be alright lads, trust me.

Unread 12-07-2019, 07:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
You'll be alright lads, trust me.
Exactly what Hitler said to the jews in his very first speech.

Unread 12-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Buck

Quote:
It’s all they’ve got. The hard left have become so lazy; I can’t remember the last time I heard one of them make a cognitive argument tbh. Then they wonder why they can’t win elections against buffoons.

Oh no, I just remembered why. It’s because everyone who’s not them is a Nazi.
Quote:
Exactly what Hitler said to the jews in his very first speech.

Unread 12-07-2019, 08:15 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
In my last job, wearing a rainbow lanyard was optional. I opted not to (even though I’d never wear it around my neck anyway.)
they'd love that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
headshot/footshot

Unread 12-07-2019, 09:10 PM
shenwen

Quote:

Is there?

Does it matter more if you have a sizeable audience to signal to? I would have thought what matters most is being authentic and a real ally to the gay community, rather than flashing a pride flag only because you feel pressured to do so.

Unread 13-07-2019, 04:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa7
You boring, one note #@&%!.
You're so nice.

Unread 13-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:

Is it a choice without recrimination or isn’t it?

Some people just don’t accept being told what to do.
Closed Thread