United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-06-2016, 11:57 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Makes a change to have a real manager ..

Unread 17-06-2016, 12:26 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the "man with no name" was called joe.
Thought it was Rory?

Unread 17-06-2016, 12:31 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Thought it was Rory?

Unread 17-06-2016, 12:33 PM
jem

Quote:
Thought it was Rory?
as a supporter of manchester united, I do not understand this attempt at humour. soz.

Unread 17-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Alan

Quote:
Thought it was Rory?
Martin Freeland

Teleport

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Dave

Giggs

He'd probably work as Fred the Red so long as he didn't have to leave. Too afraid to fly the nest.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
What was it Fergie used to say?

The manager needs to have total control, nobody can be bigger than the manager...

Chooses his successor and tells him who his asst manager will be.

Van Gaal should've £#%&!ed Giggs right off at the negotiation stage, it's a clear conflict of interest to have someone earmarked for your job as your asst.
Easy to say with hindsight. When he arrived it seemed a harmless factor. But from the outside the conflict of interest became clear last season and the stuff with Scholes was extremely awkward. Doubt that press briefing last month about the players and Giggs himself wanting him to take over did him any favours either.

Surely this was always going to be the result. Mourinho is paranoid enough before seeing how LvG was edged out.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Easy to say with hindsight. When he arrived it seemed a harmless factor. But from the outside the conflict of interest became clear last season and the stuff with Scholes was extremely awkward. Doubt that press briefing last month about the players and Giggs himself wanting him to take over did him any favours either.

Surely this was always going to be the result.Mourinho is paranoid enough before seeing how LvG was edged out.
Bloody Giggs and his sideways and backwards risk averse football

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Pretty certain that Mou would expect to be edged out if he finished outside the top 4.

Easy to make Giggs out to be the villain, LVG just did a poor job in the main.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
That's practically a Scholes quote from last autumn

Not something people were saying last summer though

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:43 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Pretty certain that Mou would expect to be edged out if he finished outside the top 4.

Siders can't accept that lvg was in any way responsible for the dismissal - everyone knows that.

But the Gigg's thing for me did contribute to the sense that very few at the club supported van Gaals approach - and I'm not sure many did - and it's impossible to start a revolution if no ones interested.

Gigg's should have trusted and rallied behind his manager or alternatively, resigned - but instead he went full on boss eyed snide mode - something that he clearly has no problem with.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
That's practically a Scholes quote from last autumn

Not something people were saying last summer though
Really, there was plenty of discussion on here from that season about risk-averse football and over passing. The 2 weeks spell convinced a lot of people that he was building something, feels like an oasis now, comparable to the start of the 11/12 season when Ando and Cleverley were ripping it up.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Siders can't accept that lvg was in any way responsible for the dismissal - everyone knows that.

But the Gigg's thing for me did contribute to the sense that very few at the club supported van Gaals approach - and I'm not sure many did - and it's impossible to start a revolution if no ones interested.

Gigg's should have trusted and rallied behind his manager or alternatively, resigned - but instead he went full on boss eyed snide mode - something that he clearly has no problem with.
So you agree

Guarantee that Mourinho will see van Gaal as someone who takes major risks in his football too.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

We really know very little about their relationship and how they worked together. Plenty of reading body language and interpreting former colleague's words as Giggs actively undermining LVG.

It might be the case, even if it is I do not believe that it mitigates LVG's poor performance.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:56 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
So you agree

Guarantee that Mourinho will see van Gaal as someone who takes major risks in his football too.
I agree that Gigg's was snide (and have always maintained that) re van gaal but the primary reason why van gaal was booted was down to van gaal.

Unread 17-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Sparky***

He's been an integral part of 2 largely failed regimes......also you get the impression he's a bit of a snide that starts feeding bits to his pals in the media.

Unread 17-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

both sides of this argument seem daft to me...

lets assume the plan was for van gaal to mentor giggs and for giggs to take over if he was ready; so giggs wasn't hoyed onto lvg at all, the incoming manager agreed to take him under his wing...

what lvg brought with him was a completely different way of working, through preparation, through training and onto the pitch.

so he's got a virtual novice and a team of cripples who can barely pas the ball in the system they know half the time...

and van gaal is trying to teach them a possession-based game in a shape that they're aren't used to (6 lines) whilst giggs is trying to pick it up and train the players at the same time...

on top of that there was a huge revolving door transfer policy in window 1 and again in window 3, an injury mess in season 1 and a injury decimation in season 2. and there was huge results pressure and confidence issues that go with it...

delighted lvg and giggs finished by winning the fa cup and left their mark on the record books at united

Unread 17-06-2016, 02:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Really, there was plenty of discussion on here from that season about risk-averse football and over passing. The 2 weeks spell convinced a lot of people that he was building something, feels like an oasis now, comparable to the start of the 11/12 season when Ando and Cleverley were ripping it up.
I think it's easy to merge both seasons together. Suspicion of three at the back and generally inconsistency the main themes of discontent in the first season. And clearly the good couple of months in the spring left few people thinking we were negative.

Unread 17-06-2016, 02:05 PM
Stone Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Good £#%&!ing riddance to the chin stroking @#%&!.

Bye

Unread 17-06-2016, 02:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I agree that Gigg's was snide (and have always maintained that) re van gaal but the primary reason why van gaal was booted was down to van gaal.
Writing was on the wall for van Gaal just weeks after he was top of the league and it was largely down to how unpopular he had quickly become. He even won nine of his last twelve games with improvements in the attacking play and the kids sparkling and still got booed at Old Trafford on his last appearance.

So contributing factors to that unpopularity were very important. We could see the culture clash from a stylistic point of view, but for me he was clearly hung out to dry in terms of public perception also. With more support I think he'd have been okay.

For me the problem with the analysis was lack of balance. Nobody is obliged to like the possession based style, but to watch a team play Daley Blind at CB with a high line and Martial and Mata out wide and say it's risk free management was insane.

I suspect Mourinho acknowledges this. If he gets us back in the CL knockouts, he'll show us real risk free
Closed Thread