United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:33 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
So you think maybe Moyes should have been given more time?
You have to show SOME glimmer of evidence that you are capable of the job, FFS

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Sloane

Will be interesting to see whether he goes to prove himself at Barca/Real or takes the easy route at PSG

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Well, I would imagine training with a first team at Juve and a reserve / academy side at United is likely to be a bit different Paul...
A bit daft to claim he wasn't training with the first for at least a year before he left tbh.

Of course, the first team were playing twice a week, so no doubt the training was somewhat lighter for someone playing only reserve football.

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Well, I would imagine training with a first team at Juve and a reserve / academy side at United is likely to be a bit different Paul...
Didn't he train a lot with the first team?

As mentioned, Evra has said similar. He's never worked so hard in his life etc. Which Tevez had warned him about, btw.

Wonder how easy it is to step up the intensity to the work and preparation without rocking the boat. Either way, they don't seem to have been too successful so far. And Van Gaal especially was never going to take it easy on them to get his feet under the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
Will be interesting to see whether he goes to prove himself at Barca/Real or takes the easy route at PSG
And doesn't let his agent decide.

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:45 PM
RedMenace

It's a bit of a cliche but the pace of games in the PL is a lot higher than Italy so I guess there may be less scope for intense training sessions or you run the risk of injuries.

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:47 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
As long as you think this point is a total excuse for us failing to score goals, you are missing the point.

The point is independent of Van Gaal, his methods or his performance.

Besides, the new players are generally doing alright.
The new players are largely doing alright, Martial is outstanding, but Martial is a level of talent that exists in very few, he'd succeed anywhere. Louis needs to get a better tune out of the other good but lesser talents.

Man management is just as much a skill as tactical acumen.

Unread 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM
taff

says something about pogba's attitude imo. the best players take the initiative; there are numerous accounts of cantona, giggs, beckham etc staying behind to practise long after training had finished, and that was during fergie's peak years. horses to water and all that.

meanwhile pogba is seemingly unable to stand out in these slack training sessions and ferie remains curiously unwilling to pick him, despite his obvious ability. then juve turn up with a wheelbarrow full of cash and, lo and behold, the @#%&! is willing to get out of bed on a morning.

i take your point though. there's a good argument for a culture of complacency running through the club, but perhaps churlish to pin it all on ferguson: at some point, the coaching staff and senior players have to take the initiative too. that's where keane was such a big loss; he wouldn't have tolerated that approach from anyone.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:01 PM
Kent Brockman

So Keane says that United training was tougher than the matches, but Pogba says that it was like being on holiday?

I'm confused.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Sparky***

Why is Pogba still talking about us like his time here was of any relevance at all?

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:05 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman
So Keane says that United training was tougher than the matches, but Pogba says that it was like being on holiday?

I'm confused.
Keane left in 2005. He was also talking specifically about the 11 a side games they played once a week so I don't think that's relevant.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Buck

I see where siders is coming from. Fergie's success allowed him to have autonomy. His longevity made people forget what life without him was like at United and for a lot of these younger players they wouldn't have known. So Fergie could do as he please and well.....get away with it. No one really complained about Pogba's departure until our problems rose after he retired. He didn't leave behind a self-sustainable structure with the first team and youth.

It will be interesting to see how Arsenal fare without Wenger for that reason.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Iron Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Moyes did a great job of ripping it apart. The instant success defo proved that

Frogson has got a lot to learn about winning premier league titles from Moyes and van gaal

I feel like Fergie could get a lot of pointers from van Gaal's process.

Tbh I worry why and how such a slow possession based team often looks so tired in the final 20 mins. Make me wonder if van Gaal is overtraining them, and that that Dutch fitness coach is right.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Why is Pogba still talking about us like his time here was of any relevance at all?
This

Saying he left years ago he can't stop mouthing off about Utd

Move pogba you #@&%!

We have

Unread 02-01-2016, 09:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
This

Saying he left years ago he can't stop mouthing off about Utd

Move pogba you #@&%!

We have
When I saw this story I almost bumped the "How's Pogba doing at Juve" thread, which has over 1,000 posts.

Decided a new thread was better etc.

Unread 02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Red Al

I meant to say

Move on pogba

Unread 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
says something about pogba's attitude imo. the best players take the initiative; there are numerous accounts of cantona, giggs, beckham etc staying behind to practise long after training had finished, and that was during fergie's peak years. horses to water and all that.

meanwhile pogba is seemingly unable to stand out in these slack training sessions and ferie remains curiously unwilling to pick him, despite his obvious ability. then juve turn up with a wheelbarrow full of cash and, lo and behold, the @#%&! is willing to get out of bed on a morning.

i take your point though. there's a good argument for a culture of complacency running through the club, but perhaps churlish to pin it all on ferguson: at some point, the coaching staff and senior players have to take the initiative too. that's where keane was such a big loss; he wouldn't have tolerated that approach from anyone.
I'm not sure I mean complacency, but perhaps a calmness that only Fergie could sustain. Fergie talks about how controlling the players was a piece of piss given his authority, and that he'd keep team meetings at brief as possible, while Mike Phelan took training sessions. Perhaps a new manager could have continued that, but there's an argument that it was always going to be torn down. Certainly by Van Gaal it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
I meant to say

Move on pogba
I know pal. Was referencing us moving on with the 1k thread on his progress

Unread 02-01-2016, 09:38 PM
£#%&! KFC

All these titles, we did not steal them......must have been another Juventus that were relegated for match fixing bribing officials and rival players and therefore stealing titles then

thick over-rated @#%&!

Unread 02-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
All these titles, we did not steal them......must have been another Juventus that were relegated for match fixing bribing officials and rival players and therefore stealing titles then

thick over-rated @#%&!
Boom.

"I love the old lady me"

FLY OUT TO TURIN AND MARRY THEM THEN....

Overrated player, overrated team...

Unread 02-01-2016, 10:39 PM
boreez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
It might be a concern if Manchester United weren't winning a £#%&!load of titles while he was here. As far as I know we didn't steal any of them.

But yeah if it gives you another straw to cling to, the reason we've played shit football the last 18 months is because Alex Ferguson was too soft with players.
Err, yeah, it is a concern since 1) Ferguson set up a regime and 2) Ferguson is no longer the manager and the regime don't like it.

Moving on from that has proven to be difficult.

Unread 02-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman

I'm confused.
I'd imagine it's because Ferguson changed as time went on. He was virtually semi retired during his last 10-15 years. Players only saw him on a match day, as Giggs once said. You could see the change in style of play wth every change in assistant. I'd imagine the discipline aspect of the club changed during that last 10 years too. And when someone like moyes thinks the scouting and youth systems were a joke, you know just how far things had been allowed to slip.
Closed Thread