United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Default "I was at Manchester - it seemed like being on holiday."

Pogba:

Quote:
"People need to know that nothing at Juve is easy," he said to La Stampa .

"There is a different culture of work compared to elsewhere. I was at Manchester - it seemed like being on holiday.

"Here we work so much. All these titles, we did not steal them. It was by working right to the end."
You do wonder to what extent the routine Ferguson employed in his latter years had to be ripped apart, and the consequences of that. He delegated a lot, with Mike & Rene running training and little in the way of extensive preparation. Perhaps almost a club on autopilot.

Now we get leaks to the press from players about lack of "banter" and resistance to these extra meetings and tactical detail.

Poggers' words a concern, or not?

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:05 PM
RedMenace

Evra said something similar about how they trained a lot harder at Juve than United.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Alan

Moyes did a great job of ripping it apart. The instant success defo proved that

Frogson has got a lot to learn about winning premier league titles from Moyes and van gaal

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:09 PM
atticusgrinch

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:11 PM
boreez

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:12 PM
NegativeNorris

I don't think much of his miserable, wet holidays if that's the case.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Evra said something similar about how they trained a lot harder at Juve than United.
But they're all telling Marlo how mean old van Gaal overworks them

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Moyes did a great job of ripping it apart. The instant success defo proved that

Frogson has got a lot to learn about winning premier league titles from Moyes and van gaal
The point is more that surely that previous regime was unsustainable without Ferguson?

Ferguson's approach of keeping it very simple, encouraging a relaxed vibe and putting very little pressure on players was surely greatly facilitated by his unquestioned power and authority at the club. Could a new manager do anything other than tear that culture down?

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:18 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Pogba:

You do wonder to what extent the routine Ferguson employed in his latter years had to be ripped apart, and the consequences of that. He delegated a lot, with Mike & Rene running training and little in the way of extensive preparation. Perhaps almost a club on autopilot.

Now we get leaks to the press from players about lack of "banter" and resistance to these extra meetings and tactical detail.

Poggers' words a concern, or not?
It might be a concern if Manchester United weren't winning a £#%&!load of titles while he was here. As far as I know we didn't steal any of them.

But yeah if it gives you another straw to cling to, the reason we've played shit football the last 18 months is because Alex Ferguson was too soft with players.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:19 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
It might be a concern if Manchester United weren't winning a £#%&!load of titles while he was here. As far as I know we didn't steal any of them.

But yeah if it gives you another straw to cling to, the reason we've played shit football the last 18 months is because Alex Ferguson was too soft with players.
You wanna do me a favour and stop missing the point, pal? Cheers.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Bit more than 18 months. It's been shit for years.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Alan

Quote:
The point is more that surely that previous regime was unsustainable without Ferguson?

Ferguson's approach of keeping it very simple, encouraging a relaxed vibe and putting very little pressure on players was surely greatly facilitated by his unquestioned power and authority at the club. Could a new manager do anything other than tear that culture down?
So you think Moyes made the right decision in ripping it all up then?

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Bunker Buster

£#%&! off Pogba.

Good riddance...

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I never adhered to the idea that he should have kept Fergie's staff tbf. New manager has to have his own way.

But outside that, in terms of the culture at the club, you do suspect that without Ferguson it simply had to change. He freely admitted that he delegated a lot, kept tactical and team meetings brief and from the sounds of it, kept the players under little pressure.

It worked great for him, but maybe it just had to change after he left.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Alan

Quote:
I never adhered to the idea that he should have kept Fergie's staff tbf. New manager has to have his own way.

But outside that, in terms of the culture at the club, you do suspect that without Ferguson it simply had to change. He freely admitted that he delegated a lot, kept tactical and team meetings brief and from the sounds of it, kept the players under little pressure.

It worked great for him, but maybe it just had to change after he left.
So you think maybe Moyes should have been given more time?

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:29 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Well, not by replacing them with Round and Lumsden ffs

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:30 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:

Bit more than 18 months. It's been shit for years.
It's not been anywhere near this £#%&!ing bad, at least we could score and I could tell what we were actually trying to do, as far as I can tell at the moment the plan is to retain possession at all costs and a goal is a bonus.

It's almost like we consider scoring vulgar at times.

If the players that have arrived post Ferguson and had no experience of the "relaxed vibe" had kicked us on then Pogba might be on to something, .As it is, clearly I'm missing the point and Siders is staring at a fixed point ignoring the elephant in the room.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
It's not been anywhere near this £#%&!ing bad, at least we could score and I could tell what we were actually trying to do, as far as I can tell at the moment the plan is to retain possession at all costs and a goal is a bonus.

It's almost like we consider scoring vulgar at times.

If the players that have arrived post Ferguson and had no experience of the "relaxed vibe" had kicked us on then Pogba might be on to something, .As it is, clearly I'm missing the point and Siders is staring at a fixed point ignoring the elephant in the room.
As long as you think this point is a total excuse for us failing to score goals, you are missing the point.

The point is independent of Van Gaal, his methods or his performance.

Besides, the new players are generally doing alright.

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Coracao

Well, I would imagine training with a first team at Juve and a reserve / academy side at United is likely to be a bit different Paul...
Closed Thread