United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Come on, mate. The Times aren't going with that piece unless it's pretty solid. He's not going to say it on record.

Might just be me and Mou sitting in one tree of paranoid suspicion, but I doubt the story is made up.

I don't think people realise how close they were/are. There was talk of LvG being furious with him, but there was also talk of them being in contact during the speculation. Either way, Mourinho I'm sure would have reached out to him.

If that's the case, you could be right. I always felt uneasy with the way LvG constantly blew smoke up Giggs' arse in public. People going to think I'm overreacting again, but to me seemed like the keep your enemies close approach
You do realize that LVG was Giggs's boss? If he wanted him gone and felt he was undermining him then he could have made it happen. It could have caused problems but if LVG put up with it to appease factions then he is not the man I want in charge of Utd, he would certainly not have accepted the situation you outline in his younger days.

Unread 17-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Cream

Quote:
Easy to say with hindsight. When he arrived it seemed a harmless factor. But from the outside the conflict of interest became clear last season and the stuff with Scholes was extremely awkward. Doubt that press briefing last month about the players and Giggs himself wanting him to take over did him any favours either.

Surely this was always going to be the result. Mourinho is paranoid enough before seeing how LvG was edged out.
Hang on, was giggs actually Moyes' asst?

Keep thinking he was but not sure now.
Bit rich to say he's been part of two failed regimes if not. Feel bad now.

Unread 17-06-2016, 04:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
You do realize that LVG was Giggs's boss? If he wanted him gone and felt he was undermining him then he could have made it happen. It could have caused problems but if LVG put up with it to appease factions then he is not the man I want in charge of Utd, he would certainly not have accepted the situation you outline in his younger days.
I dunno if he did have that authority. When things were going well the club were pretty set on the LvG to Giggs succession plan, when things went south trying to sack Giggs could have made him look desperate. Or there could be many other reasons.

Or maybe he thought Giggs was fine and they both laughed at Scholes over breakfast and if LvG takes charge of Belgium or someone next month it'll be Giggsy he calls to be by his side

You get personality or culture clashes in football and you have to try and work through them. The situation at United last season was bizarre, though.

Unread 17-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Hang on, was giggs actually Moyes' asst?

Keep thinking he was but not sure now.
Bit rich to say he's been part of two failed regimes if not. Feel bad now.
No, he was a player-coach, with emphasis on the player.

Unread 17-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
From the sounds of it Mourinho has seen what was fairly obvious last season.
just on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you hold scholes responsible for van gaal failing at united?

Unread 17-06-2016, 05:09 PM
ScarFace

Another good reason not to have giggs is....he is £#%&!ing shit.

He has the personality of a dead frog and has been an awful ast manager for the last 3 years. £#%&! off to swansea.

Unread 17-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Clarkie

Mourinho doesn't trust Giggs.

Water is also wet.

Unread 17-06-2016, 06:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
just on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you hold scholes responsible for van gaal failing at united?
11. While van Gaal himself comes in at a solid 1.

Unread 17-06-2016, 08:27 PM
signed dc

Quote:
mourinho hasn't had a chance to see anything at all yet. he hasn't even met up with the squad ffs.

seemingly well sourced articles (whatever that means) suggested long before xmas 15 that what was mostly 'undermining' van gaal's authority was that the players were bored to tears by the preparation regime. the players are w****rs.

one of the things i will miss the most about van gaal being manager is the pre-match drills. just a shame it rarely worked as well when there was actually an opposition team in front of them.
Seriously? You'd turn up and watch the pre- match drills?!

Unread 17-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Seriously? You'd turn up and watch the pre- match drills?!
yeah tbh i found the shadow play fascinating, especially at first.

Unread 17-06-2016, 08:50 PM
saffers

Unread 17-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Unread 18-06-2016, 05:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Thread over

Unread 18-06-2016, 10:55 PM
Sparky***

Unread 19-06-2016, 01:28 AM
Kangared

Don't recall him once coming to defence of the manager he was supposedly supporting , no doubt Mou is a touch paranoid but maybe in this instance he has good reason . Let Giggs prove himself elsewhere . Could well turn out to be another Brian Kidd when it comes to management
Closed Thread