United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Chorlton74

Question BT Sport

what have they got for 2014/15/16 that sky sports haven't?

im not buying into this sky sports 5 and the 2 years free broadband, something not right about it.

am i right in thinking that sky have also lost first pick of the matches from next season?

Unread 28-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Lok

Premier League rights will be the same as last season (Sky have most first picks). More important than the first picks is the fact that Sky can chose first which weekends their first picks apply. So the best games will never be on BT. They get some big matches but the likes of United v City will be on Sky.

Champions League moves from Sky to BT in a years time.

Unread 28-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Ashley's Grime

UEFA cup is going on BT too.

Unread 28-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Mr Castro

Essentially sky sports 5 is coming to cope with more European football sky are putting on. La Liga will always be on sky sports 5, Dutch football (which is don't watch) will be, Italian cup, Copa Del Rey, international football and the champions league qualifiers as well as one champions league match per matchday will be on it. It's really Sky saying "look, this is the only place where you can watch these 600 live games"

The new premier league deal will be tendered in December this year for an announcement for the 2016 season onwards to be made in June 2015.

At the moment BT's real advantage is they have exclusive rights to any premier league matchday played in a midweek.

Unread 28-06-2014, 07:27 PM
bobbledinho

From what I remember BT Sport had German, French, Italian and Brazilian league last year. And UFC.

They're taking CL off Sky after this season. Odd that Sky are launching a European football channel which won't have any CL or Europa league a year from now.

Unread 28-06-2014, 07:36 PM
ewaawoowaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
what have they got for 2014/15/16 that sky sports haven't?

im not buying into this sky sports 5 and the 2 years free broadband, something not right about it.

am i right in thinking that sky have also lost first pick of the matches from next season?

You are right to be skeptical. Sky are trying it on.

BT have totally exclusive CL from the season after next.

Unread 28-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Vedder

Itv will still have some champions league games though?

Unread 28-06-2014, 07:45 PM
ewaawoowaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Itv will still have some champions league games though?

Nope.

From the season after the one coming, BT have completely exclusive coverage of every CL game and every Europa league game. Sky and ITV have nothing.

BT have paid 900 million for it.

Unread 29-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaawoowaa
You are right to be skeptical. Sky are trying it on.

BT have totally exclusive CL from the season after next.
so this channel starts on august 12th. am i to assume it just becomes available as part of the package i've already got? so in december when my years up, there's nowt to stop me sacking off skytalk/broadband, swapping over to BT for a landline/broadband, thus getting BT sport for nowt and still getting SS5?

Im just mindful that if you dont contact them about it, they will just see your contract and tie you into the 2 years broadband without asking first.

Unread 29-06-2014, 08:48 PM
bobbledinho

Quote:
so this channel starts on august 12th. am i to assume it just becomes available as part of the package i've already got? so in december when my years up, there's nowt to stop me sacking off skytalk/broadband, swapping over to BT for a landline/broadband, thus getting BT sport for nowt and still getting SS5?

Im just mindful that if you dont contact them about it, they will just see your contract and tie you into the 2 years broadband without asking first.
I think you have to sign up to two years before you get SS5.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Mr Castro

The two years comes from sky being worried that loads of people will switch to BT broadband because of free BT sport with it with the small bonus of being able to watch every Champions League and Europa League game on BT from next season for free. If you ask me BT will charge for it anyway regardless of whether you have BT broadband from next season because they have £300m a year extra to find. Unless they greatly increase prices of course. But Sky don't want to take that risk.

Sky I imagine will have a 6pm start on this channel to lead into the Super Cup final on the same evening.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Switching Off

This is all to make it fairer to the consumer
Id rather be ripped off once by sky tbh.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Lok

As Castro says, The Sky 2 years broadband offer and SS5 is a direct response to losing the CL rights. They want to tie people up to Sky for an extra year beyond the CL moving.

BT are trying to counter act that with the Bale advert and basically telling people not to sign up for such a long contract with Sky.

BT Sport will cease to be free for BT Broadband subscribers for the 2016/17 season. But it's probable that they'll give their broadband customers a good discount once they start charging them.

Sky are very worried. They've enjoyed a monopoly for such a long time and they know it's now over. In previous years they've only had to compete with Virgin and that was easy as Virgin had to give them a £#%&!-load of money for Sky Sports and Sky Movies.

Sky know that live sport is the only commodity worth anything going forward. The movie companies and programme makers will all eventually have their own subscription services that will allow them to deal directly with their customers. It's piss easy for the likes of HBO to make their own apps for Smart TV's, tablets etc... Why would they bother selling the rights to Sky?

Sport is everything and Sky have lost the monopoly over the premier league and lost the rights to the champions league altogether. Not good.

The irony of it all is that BT didn't give a shit about TV. They only attacked Sky because Sky tried to take their broadband business.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
This is all to make it fairer to the consumer
Id rather be ripped off once by sky tbh.
exactly, absolute £#%&!ing joke.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Chorlton74

who said above about the tender for the pl coming up. sky sports would be £#%&!ed without it. particularly over 5 channels. if BT are throwing that much cash at it, surely sky will have to compete. can still see them losing the rights altogether at some point.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
who said above about the tender for the pl coming up. sky sports would be £#%&!ed without it. particularly over 5 channels. if BT are throwing that much cash at it, surely sky will have to compete. can still see them losing the rights altogether at some point.
Yeah it's because it's likely to be very protracted that it's all starting in December (it usually all starts around March time), but we still won't know the results until next June.

Sky will want to win at least half the packages I would have thought. And with BT spending so much on Champions League its likely they'll get that. It's a 5/2 split in Sky's favour at the moment.

I reckon BT could do with dropping Saturday lunchtimes because they're not a huge ratings winner. If they can eat into Sky's sunday packages they'll be happy.

Sky on the other hand will want at least one Sunday game (they've always had it) and a Saturday game. Monday Nights are handy for Sky but not totally essential.

Unread 29-06-2014, 09:56 PM
ziggyman17

If sky lose the premier league football rights then their whole business plan will fold.. With out that sky will be finished..

Unread 29-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
As Castro says, The Sky 2 years broadband offer and SS5 is a direct response to losing the CL rights. They want to tie people up to Sky for an extra year beyond the CL moving.

BT are trying to counter act that with the Bale advert and basically telling people not to sign up for such a long contract with Sky.

BT Sport will cease to be free for BT Broadband subscribers for the 2016/17 season. But it's probable that they'll give their broadband customers a good discount once they start charging them.

Sky are very worried. They've enjoyed a monopoly for such a long time and they know it's now over. In previous years they've only had to compete with Virgin and that was easy as Virgin had to give them a £#%&!-load of money for Sky Sports and Sky Movies.

Sky know that live sport is the only commodity worth anything going forward. The movie companies and programme makers will all eventually have their own subscription services that will allow them to deal directly with their customers. It's piss easy for the likes of HBO to make their own apps for Smart TV's, tablets etc... Why would they bother selling the rights to Sky?

Sport is everything and Sky have lost the monopoly over the premier league and lost the rights to the champions league altogether. Not good.

The irony of it all is that BT didn't give a shit about TV. They only attacked Sky because Sky tried to take their broadband business.
That's a very good explanation of things.

I wonder how long before all the big companies start their own services. I've never been arsed with Netflix/LoveFilm/HBO because I'm happy to get all that elsewhere and in HD for free. The only reason I have Sky is for the football/formula one with tennis/boxing/cricket a bonus.

As you say, live TV is old school now. Sport is king, and if BT can get three of the six Premier League packages in the next bidding process Sky are in big trouble.

Is it possible Sky and BT will ask for more games to be available? So instead of 154, say 200? I've never understood why one 3pm Saturday game couldn't be shown live every week.

Unread 29-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Mr Castro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
That's a very good explanation of things.

I wonder how long before all the big companies start their own services. I've never been arsed with Netflix/LoveFilm/HBO because I'm happy to get all that elsewhere and in HD for free. The only reason I have Sky is for the football/formula one with tennis/boxing/cricket a bonus.

As you say, live TV is old school now. Sport is king, and if BT can get three of the six Premier League packages in the next bidding process Sky are in big trouble.

Is it possible Sky and BT will ask for more games to be available? So instead of 154, say 200? I've never understood why one 3pm Saturday game couldn't be shown live every week.
Perfectly possible. But aside from breaking the archaic 3pm saturday rule its hard to see where the game would be made available live.

Friday nights? That's the only one that's coming to me.

Unread 29-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
It's unlikely that the PL will sell more than 154. They add a few more each time so that they can justify the bigger prices.

The PL will continue to add games and change the package to ensure that the price goes up each time. Eventually every match will be broadcast in the UK.

You'd imagine the 3pm thing will eventually end but I'm surprised it's lasted this long so who knows!
Closed Thread