United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Sparky***

Default Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson: The Greatest.

Unread 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM
utd99

Wouldn’t have made it past the Liverpool fixture today.

Unread 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Switching Off

Get him back. Cathy is probably sick of him now.

Unread 09-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Vedder

not watching that ffs

Unread 09-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Wouldn’t have made it past the Liverpool fixture today.
Probably wouldn't be in the same position tbf.

Unread 09-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I suggest you take a little look at this.

http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/seasons/season1990.html

Unread 09-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I suggest you take a little look at this.

http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/seasons/season1990.html
Know the history pol. Just don't think he'd have had us enter this season so threadbare. Bloody loved a striker too did Frogson

Unread 09-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Know the history pol. Just don't think he'd have had us enter this season so threadbare. Bloody loved a striker too did Frogson
true, but he was in exactly this position.

we didn't win a game in the league from Nov-Feb

Unread 09-10-2019, 10:14 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
true, but he was in exactly this position.

we didn't win a game in the league from Nov-Feb
Yep, we had some *astonishingly* crap results in that period. At the end of 1989 most fans wanted him sacked, nqat.

Unread 09-10-2019, 10:22 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
A 46 year old fergie taking over 10 months ago probably would tbh. He hardly set the world alight when he took over united. The only way a manager overcomes a bad dressing room is to change the players before they change him. There’s no short term fix, unless you’re a state backed oil rich club who can quickly turn over 20 players.

It’s actually harder to do now, given the transfer windows. We’d probably not have won the title in 93 if the transfer window was in place then, and who knows how that would have affected things. Without the transfer window we’d likely have bought and sold a few more players over the past month or so and we wouldn’t have a terrible midfield and be in this mess. We’d also be able to react to Martial’s injury and rashford’s poor form and buy a striker to cover.

Quote:
Then he’d be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Because he wouldn’t get any more players than we got, and he’d then have had the choice of keeping toxic players who will offer no help and probably cause more harm with their influence in the dressing room, or getting rid of that problem and being short. The difficulty in selling players is also a bottleneck on buying players, so that would be another argument for getting rid now and being short, so signings could be quicker in the next window. Ole chose the option to get rid, and for all we know, maybe that was the least worst option from a shit sandwich and thus the best decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yep, we had some *astonishingly* crap results in that period. At the end of 1989 most fans wanted him sacked, nqat.
I remember actually being gutted we came from 3-1 down against city with 10 mins left to draw 3-3, as I was convinced it saved his job. Think we did similar the week before or the week after too.

I gave up wanting him sacked in October or November 1990 when united qualified for the quarter final of the cup winner’s cup. Purely because I thought the club wouldn’t sack him before that game in March so it was pointless to keep wanting him out in the meantime. Then we got good. Lesson learned.

Unread 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
utd99

Players then had nowhere near the power they have today. Keane was absolutely correct when he cautioned that this lot will throw Ole under the bus the same way they did with Mourinho. Already the stories are spreading about McKenna and how much they dislike training; either the journo’s are making it up (possible) or there’s a poison pill (or their agent) in the dressing room.

If I were confident Ole knew how poisonous these @#%&!s are, and that Woody was on board with a cleansing I’d be more optimistic, but I keep coming back to that line about ‘building a team’ around Pogba. I think that statement was incredibly naive, even if it was PR.

Unread 10-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
If I were confident Ole knew how poisonous these c***s are...
You should be, because he clearly does.

Unread 10-10-2019, 11:52 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
You should be, because he clearly does.
Well we don’t know, do we? All we have to go by are his pressers. He may still have hope of getting people like Pogba and Martial onside. I cannot fathom why they’re still at the club when both wanted out, had decent resale values and we could have been that much further down the road to rebuilding. Unless of course Ole believed he could get them to buy in. He won’t; nor will the next manager.

Unread 10-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Neo

No WUM, but 2 European Cups in all those years was a piss poor return.

Unread 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Well we don’t know, do we? All we have to go by are his pressers.
No. What we have to go by are his actions during the summer, of which the club partially let him down. It’s quite clear he’d replace another 5 players overnight if he could.

Quote:
He may still have hope of getting people like Pogba and Martial onside. I cannot fathom why they’re still at the club when both wanted out, had decent resale values and we could have been that much further down the road to rebuilding. Unless of course Ole believed he could get them to buy in. He won’t; nor will the next manager.
I’d say Pogba is at the club because we didn’t get a serious bid. I also imagine woodward, the owners and probably Ole want martial to be given a proper go as a striker now mourinho has gone, which is fair enough. Unless martial pulls his finger out, I doubt either player will be at the club next season, assuming ole is still here. Any new manager will probably want to keep them whilst we go through the assessment period again.

Unread 10-10-2019, 12:11 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
No. What we have to go by are his actions during the summer, of which the club partially let him down. It’s quite clear he’d replace another 5 players overnight if he could.

I’d say Pogba is at the club because we didn’t get a serious bid. I also imagine woodward, the owners and probably Ole want martial to be given a proper go as a striker now mourinho has gone, which is fair enough. Unless martial pulls his finger out, I doubt either player will be at the club next season, assuming ole is still here. Any new manager will probably want to keep them whilst we go through the assessment period again.
Look, I know this is his dream job and that he didn’t have a massive amount of leverage, but he should have known that his chances of success would have rested heavily on being able to suck the poison out of that dressing room asap. He must have been watching what was going on in the seasons leading up to Mourinho getting binned, and probably had the inside story too. Why would Roy Keane sitting in a tv studio know what these people were going to do and he didn’t?

Unread 10-10-2019, 01:20 PM
Casanova85

Looking back, the most shocking thing is the fact that he survived the late '80s. Thank God for the patience and vision of the board during those years.

The Treble remains his greatest achievement, but the way he handled the rising menace of Blackburn, Arsenal and Chelsea cannot be understated. 1995-1996, 2002-2003 and 2006-2007 were the most important PL titles of his career, in my opinion. God knows he would have cancelled 13-14 City, 14-15 Chelsea and 15-16 Leicester off! If only he had stayed for three more seasons...

Also, those who call him "UCL underachiever" should remember that Man Utd has always struggled to sign the TopTop foreign megastars; a lot harder to win a UCL when the opposition has the likes of Zidane, Ronaldo N., Messi, etc. In fact, when he did have a Top Top megastar (Beckham and C.Ronaldo) he actually won the UCL. That said, Utd should have reached the 2009-10 UCL final.

Unread 10-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Zorg

Dortmund and Leverkusen are the ones that stick in the throat.

You look back at his rivals in Europe - Zidane's Juventus, Madrid's galacticos and Messi's Barcelona, and now Liverpool get to play Tottenham Actual Hotspur in the final...

Unread 10-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

You look back at his rivals in Europe - Zidane's Juventus, Madrid's galacticos and Messi's Barcelona, and now Liverpool get to play Tottenham Actual Hotspur in the final...
Liverpool lost every away game in the champions league last season apart from Porto didn't they?

Unread 10-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Casanova85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Safe to say that Bundesliga clubs were SAF's Nemesis?

Anyway, 96-97 Dortmund was a beast.
Closed Thread