United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:38 PM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Throw in Switzerland and that is an extremely generous run. If they can't win when that is the opposition, not to mention home advantage then they're not going to. Southgate mught be a drip but which English manager out there is guaranteeting them a World Cup?
Brian Clough

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:39 PM
Sparky***

They like to go on about spirit and togetherness but to win world cups and euros you need cold eyed ruthlessness and the ability to make critical decisions at key moments.

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:41 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They like to go on about spirit and togetherness but to win world cups and euros you need cold eyed ruthlessness and the ability to make critical decisions at key moments.
And be positive not just reactive

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:43 PM
sweetleftfoot

The England side lack balls. They have no nasty bastard, no shithouses. If you don't have the world class quality like Griezman or Mbappe, then you have to manage the game to beat them.

Oh, and Mason Mount and Raheem Sterling will never change a game at that level. They just aren't good enough.

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:46 PM
puressence

That balls just landed past our house. 🤣🤣🤣. £#%&! England

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:49 PM
ZiggyStardust

England have gone out of tournaments with far worse performances than that

Thought they played very well and were the better team for most of the match
However football comes down to moments, Maguire couldn’t do well enough at what he’s in the team for France’s winner and well Kane’s 2nd pen was a right Chris Waddle

Unlike the last two losses in major tournaments, England actual were able to keep the ball tonight

There’s a lot of talented young players to build around for future tournaments

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:49 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Realistic: France to win about 2-1 and England to dominate for about 30 minutes.

Heroic failure.

Dubious red card for Rice.

Offside goal for Giroud.

Rashford to miss a sitter with 5 mins left to fulfil the United spacegoat function.

Dream:

Henderson puts a reducer on Mbappe early doors.

Shaw to dominate on the left.

Kane to bag a brace

Maguire to score a header from a corner.
Just said it this very moment on Sky.

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

However football comes down to moments, Maguire couldn’t do well enough at what he’s in the team for France’s winner and well Kane’s 2nd pen was a right Chris Waddle

Unlike the last two losses in major tournaments, England actual were able to keep the ball tonight

Absolutely this. Came down to moments and not taking theirs. Better that than simply being outclassed and looking miles away.

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:52 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust

England will be fine going forward. Certainly a long way from the joke of euro 2016. They have a lot of good young players.

Obviously the usual suspects have been waiting to crow all over social media but losing a tight game 2-1 to the world champions is no disgrace.

Unread 10-12-2022, 10:52 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Southgate is just too safe and risk averse to ever be able to influence a game where a change is needed. His favourites are all decent but limited players, much like he was. You can't expect a poor to middling club manager to suddenly turn into a world class international one.

Unread 10-12-2022, 11:42 PM
Pop

Slabhead on bbc...

We dominated the game, we dominated the ball, we dominated the players

And still lost you £#%&!ing galoot.

Unread 10-12-2022, 11:50 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Are people actually making out they were hard done by with that result?!
easily said. they were the better team apart from a couple of minutes of inept defending that led to the winner. saka was fouled before the first goal. we should have had a penalty in the first half. france got away with persistent disruptive fouls that were ignored completely or not carded. saka and kane should have scored in the second half. france were a bit shit.

the ref was a £#%&!ing idiot. in a game of fine margins, that matters. england were robbed. they also didn't help themselves. and southgate bringing mount and sterling on is enough reason for them to £#%&! off.

I just hope varane stays fit.

Unread 10-12-2022, 11:52 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
England will be fine going forward. Certainly a long way from the joke of euro 2016. They have a lot of good young players.
The only two problems I can see down the road is that there’s no natural successor to Kane and there’s no young centre halves to replace the South Yorkshire Sunshine Club at the back.

Ultimately tonight was a case of a bit of bad luck for the players and a lack of ruthlessness from the manager. They had France wobbling and let them off the hook. Just like against Italy.

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:04 AM
Ethers

Strange breed England fans

You’d think they were creating chance after chance the way people are going on ffs (not necessarily on here). Talking about how “close” they got. Whatever makes you feel better lads. Another glorious failure. Well done.

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:08 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Strange breed England fans

You’d think they were creating chance after chance the way people are going on ffs (not necessarily on here). Talking about how “close” they got. Whatever makes you feel better lads. Another glorious failure. Well done.
Can see your chip from space pal x

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:13 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Can see your chip from space pal x
You’ll do it next time pal, believe.

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:18 AM
MUFC One Love

Only seen bits as I was at a wedding. Gutted for Sparky tbh.

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:26 AM
big chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Only seen bits as I was at a wedding. Gutted for Sparky tbh.
So was I, where was your wedding?

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:30 AM
westcoastvan

They tried hard, but ultimately I don't think they will ever win a World Cup under Southgate....he needs to go.

Unread 11-12-2022, 12:42 AM
Buck

I think England were the better team on the balance of play but like the final last year just didn't make the most of the 20-25 minute spell when the opposition were struggling to get out of their own half. There's no shame in losing to France but I suspect had Potter not moved to Chelsea then the Southgate era would be over now. Plenty of better managers out there but I doubt they would want to be a national team manager.

This is where I expected England to exit the tournament anyway. The biggest thing England had going for them before a ball was kicked was that outside the first eleven they have good depth to fall back on. But France also have good depth outside the first eleven + the experience of winning it already + arguably the best player in the world on current form. The Griezmann transformation of going from a regular goalscorer with a big ego to a hard working creator has been impressive to watch and he was more of a thorn than Mbappe.
Closed Thread