United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM
utd99

Default Re: Does anyone else think we're going to blow the league?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think chelsea will probably get something out of the game, maybe a win but United will still win the league.
I don't think either of us are playing particularly well at the moment (Shalke aside), but the difference is that they are getting the rub of the green and we are not, and that has given them a lot of confidence.

Of their last three games you would have said they were bankers for the first two and favourites for all three, yet they conceded first against WBrom, gave Wham loads of chances and needed two illegitimate goals to beat a fairly ordinary Spurs side. The worrying thing is that in all cases I felt they were nailed on to score, even in the 85th minute of the Tottenham game. They have that air about them right now.

We, on the other hand are looking more and more pr ofligate as the season is winding down. Couldn't score against the barcodes, bitters or Arsenal and only made the breakthrough against Everton in the dying seconds, and we tried our best not to score against Shalke, but they weren't having any of it.

When two teams are as evenly matched as us and Chelsea it often comes down to momentum and inches. They have the momentum NQAT, so we absolutely must grab the inches, we can't afford to be wasteful in any way. If we are, I fear we will lose the game and subsequently the title.

Anyone who knows footy knows the importance of the first goal, but I can't remember a scenario where it's been as important as next weekend. If we get it they are going to become increasingly frantic because they know they will need at least two (a draw is no good to them at all) and that will force them to push up and gamble at the back. I could see us scoring more in that case.

If they get it they'll pack their defensive third and look to pick us off on the break. At that point I'll not be confident of breaking them down. High balls into the box will be meat and drink for Terry and Luiz.

I really pray the inches are our friend next Sunday because I believe that whoever gets the first goal in that game wins the league.

Unread 02-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
They have the momentum NQAT
That will change after Wednesday. I doubt the players will disassociate League from Champions League after a win. Making a CL Final is a big deal.

Unread 02-05-2011, 01:52 AM
thatsfuctit

our home form is pretty good

Sunday, 8 May 2011
Man Utd v Chelsea, 16:10

Saturday, 14 May 2011
Blackburn v Man Utd, 12:45

Sunday, 22 May 2011
Man Utd v Blackpool, 16:00

Unread 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM
armchair

I don't think wednesday will be a doddle either. We're bound to concede an early goal. One way or another we'll be shitting our pants all the way to victory.

woohoo!

Unread 02-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Grimson

Quote:
I don't think wednesday will be a doddle either. We're bound to concede an early goal. One way or another we'll be shitting our pants all the way to victory.

woohoo!
No chance. Schalke are taking beatings left right and centre every time they walk on the pitch. They'll want to get it over with and will be happy with 0-0.

Unread 02-05-2011, 02:34 AM
armchair

i expect it to be a comedy own goal but yeah i don't give them a chance of going through

Unread 02-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Grimson

Quote:
i expect it to be a comedy own goal but yeah i don't give them a chance of going through
tbh come Wednesday I will be agreeing with you. CL semis aren't supposed to be this easy.
Closed Thread