United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:12 PM
MJ Ramone

Exclamation Our Away Form?? Hmmmm

...Interesting post-match interview with Fergie today.
He made a point of saying he expects more away from OT from Wazza & Berbs.

We'd be cruising to number19 if our away form was anywhere close to what it should be.
I think the problem lies in midfield, but I can't put my finger on it exactly.

We just look so vulnerable & nervous away from home.
Not quite sure why this is the case tbh.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:13 PM
atticusgrinch

Default Re: Our Away Form?? Hmmmm

Play Anderson.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:14 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Play Anderson.
He was very good today..him & Nani.

Actually, all the lads did well today tbf.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:16 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
He was very good today..him & Nani.

Actually, all the lads did well today tbf.
I know!

Good innit?

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:17 PM
wonky no

Quote:

We'd be cruising to number19 if our away form was anywhere close to what it should be.

There has been more emphasis on attack by the oppo this season couple that with an ever revolving back 4 and we've looked quite dodgy. rooney hasn't helped take the pressure off either by not scoring enough.

Anderson is not good enough to play for us. he offers nothing. We've missed fletch this season, immensely, in my opinion.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
rebelcountyred

Quote:

Problem in midfield, intereeeeesting

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
MJ Ramone

Yeah, it's definitely a combination of things.
Our strikers aren't putting games out of sight, our defenders are pretty edgy ...but I do think the ever-changing Midfield is the main problem.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
There has been more emphasis on attack by the oppo this season couple that with an ever revolving back 4 and we've looked quite dodgy. rooney hasn't helped take the pressure off either by not scoring enough.

Anderson is not good enough to play for us. he offers nothing. We've missed fletch this season, immensely, in my opinion.

That's just crazy. Did you think Nani was shit?

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
ap001

One of the main reasons for our away results being so poor is because of the lack of shooting by our central midfield players. It's pitiful, whether that is to do with tactics or personnel I'm not sure.

Carrick has yet to score or assist this season.

Edit 3 league goals between Anderson, Scholes, Fletcher and Carrick..:shakehead:

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Billy Bigbollox

I think it started by throwing leads away in our first 2 away games. After that we've looked nervy, disjointed and seemingly afraid to try to take the game by the scruff of the neck in case we £#%&! up. It's become a self fulfilling prophecy in contrast to our home form where we generally look confident and always likely to win. It's a strange one

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:

They've been shit at times, but nowhere as shit as our midfielders have been when they've been pressed in possession. The ability to retain possession disappears, and they offer nothing for Rooney and Berbs going forward.

If anything it's Fergie's fault for not revamping the center of midfield last Summer, or the Summer before, after the result in Rome.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Neo

The fact is we have too many midfield players of limited ability.

None of Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick or Gibson have been able to nail down a permanent spot in the side. Then we have Scholes and Giggs, who are both wonderful on their day, but have to be rested regularly.

This means that Fergie never really knows what our best midfield actually is. Inconsistent selection breeds inconsistent performance.

I still think we need a couple of midfielders in the summer of real quality that can nail down permanent spots in the starting XI. The problem is that we don't have the funds to get the type of quality we need.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:29 PM
the heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap001
One of the main reasons for our away results being so poor is because of the lack of shooting by our central midfield players.
Shut the £#%&! up. If Fergie hears that he'll put Gibson back in the team.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
The fact is we have too many midfield players of limited ability.

None of Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick or Gibson have been able to nail down a permanent spot in the side. Then we have Scholes and Giggs, who are both wonderful on their day, but have to be rested regularly.

This means that Fergie never really knows what our best midfield actually is. Inconsistent selection breeds inconsistent performance.

I still think we need a couple of midfielders in the summer of real quality that can nail down permanent spots in the starting XI. The problem is that we don't have the funds to get the type of quality we need.
Should both be binned.

Reckon Scholes will retire, and it's probably the right time.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:31 PM
ap001

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heathen
Shut the £#%&! up. If Fergie hears that he'll put Gibson back in the team.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:33 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
That's just crazy. Did you think Nani was shit?
no, not at all.
i don't want to dislike anderson. i have no reason too. thing is for me, he does nothing when we're not in possession, he doesn't tackle anywhere near enough, he's loose with his tracking and marking and he offers nothing in attack.

he does play the simple pass quite well though and he does have his head up but its not enough. not for for me. he's useless in a 442 and that speaks volumes to me.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap001

Carrick has yet to score or assist this season.
That is £#%&!ing pathetic.

I've defended Carrick in the past and I still think he is a very intelligent player who helps sure up the defensive side of our midfield, but he doesn't offer anything attacking-wise anymore. Its a side of his game that's really dipped.

He works well with Anderson in a midfield two as Ando likes to push forward whilst Carrick sits back to provide defensive cover, but Fergie only goes for that system against weaker teams who can't dominate us in midfield. Against the better teams we look weak centrally with that midfield two, which makes me question whether Carrick is good enough for us.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
no, not at all.
i don't want to dislike anderson. i have no reason too. thing is for me, he does nothing when we're not in possession, he doesn't tackle anywhere near enough, he's loose with his tracking and marking and he offers nothing in attack.

he does play the simple pass quite well though and he does have his head up but its not enough. not for for me. he's useless in a 442 and that speaks volumes to me.
Eh?

His best performances this season have been in a 4-4-2.

I agree with you to an extent though. He still hasn't got me fully convinced. I love his energy and drive, but he certainly hasn't developed as well as Nani has. The juries still out on Anderson IMO.

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:04 PM
red in cumbria

It is the Everton game wot did it.

Put that one to bed, and we would have won at least a couple more away matches by now

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:13 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Eh?

His best performances this season have been in a 4-4-2.

I agree with you to an extent though. He still hasn't got me fully convinced. I love his energy and drive, but he certainly hasn't developed as well as Nani has. The juries still out on Anderson IMO.
what did he do in these 'best' performances. what are his stats (seriously i haven't a clue) pass completion, assists, tackles, etc. i really don't see what he does other than any other player in any other team. it just seems basic. he doesn't get involved enough to make mistakes either.
Closed Thread