United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Lok

Default Should Hayes replace Sarri at Chelsea?

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...t-panel-debate

Interesting debate.

Obviously the answer today is no. She is not remotely qualified to get such a job and if she did it would only be due to positive discrimination.

But longer term as the gap between the gender's games gets closer (from a professional/credibility POV if not ability), is it conceivable that female managers will get top jobs in the men's game? Would male players perform better/worse under the management of a woman? Would they take her seriously?

A whole new world is ahead of us.

Unread 20-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Buck

Transfer requests aots

Unread 20-05-2019, 02:35 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...t-panel-debate

Interesting debate.

Obviously the answer today is no. She is not remotely qualified to get such a job and if she did it would only be due to positive discrimination.

But longer term as the gap between the gender's games gets closer (from a professional/credibility POV if not ability), is it conceivable that female managers will get top jobs in the men's game? Would male players perform better/worse under the management of a woman? Would they take her seriously?

A whole new world is ahead of us.
I'm not against the idea at all, if they know what they're doing; the standard of women's football is hilarious but that's probably more down to the fact women are generally pretty shit at playing football. When, not if, it happens then sooner or later there'll be a player/manager affair scandal. And I, for one, can't wait to see the shitstorm.

Unread 20-05-2019, 02:37 PM
AK14

Think I’m right in saying the San Antonio Spurs have a women assistant Coach?

Unread 20-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
I'm not against the idea at all, if they know what they're doing; the standard of women's football is hilarious but that's probably more down to the fact women are generally pretty shit at playing football. When, not if, it happens then sooner or later there'll be a player/manager affair scandal. And I, for one, can't wait to see the shitstorm.
It won't happen because of dressing room culture.

United players looked at Moyes on day one and said "where's your medals". Then they had enough of Van Gaal and Mourinho's methods despite their CVs.

Madrid players didn't give Benitez a chance. Chelsea win the league with Conte then drive him out. Leicester players humiliating Ranieri.

With all due respect to her achievements in the women's game, it's a different kettle of fish.

Unread 20-05-2019, 02:56 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

United players looked at Moyes on day one and said "where's your medals". Then they had enough of Van Gaal and Mourinho's methods despite their CVs.

Madrid players didn't give Benitez a chance. Chelsea win the league with Conte then drive him out. Leicester players humiliating Ranieri.

With all due respect to her achievements in the women's game, it's a different kettle of fish.
bloated way of saying "no"

Unread 20-05-2019, 03:02 PM
Jethro

Yes, course she should. Has my full support.

Unread 20-05-2019, 03:04 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Yes, course she should. Has my full support.
Should be giving the City & Liverpool jobs to women too imo.

Unread 20-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
bloated way of saying "no"

Unread 20-05-2019, 03:13 PM
messhead

Quote:

Ah you're probably right but still reckon it's gonna happen at some point, if not because they're right for the job then because of the ridiculous pressure nowadays to make sure things at least appear "equal" (the definition of this seems to change on a monthly basis). As you say, dressing room culture will no doubt kill it.

Unread 20-05-2019, 03:13 PM
TheFatGoth

Never heard of him

Unread 20-05-2019, 03:19 PM
windy waffles

Would she be allowed in the changing rooms when the players shower?

No.

So, for that reason, I'm out.

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:44 PM
red in cumbria

There was a TV series with this premise I think - about 30 years ago too?

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
There was a TV series with this premise I think - about 30 years ago too?
The Manageress. 1989/90

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:48 PM
utd99

World's going mad.

That said, I totally think they should give it a go.

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Jack Duckworth

20 years ago, you wouldn't have thought that people who had never played professional football would be managers and coaches, but the game is full of them now.

i think it will happen and there's no reason why it shouldn't tbh.

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
20 years ago, you wouldn't have thought that people who had never played professional football would be managers and coaches, but the game is full of them now.

i think it will happen and there's no reason why it shouldn't tbh.
Lawrie McMenemy never played professionally.

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Neither did Arrigo Sacchi

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Aye, but McMenemy started his managerial career in 1964.
And won the FA Cup with a 2nd tier team. Via a £#%&!ing offside goal mind you.

Unread 20-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Quote:
£#%&! off

my point still stands though: there are loads of managers and coaches that have never kicked a baw, so as long as they pass their coaching badges, ' there's no reason a woman can't manage professionally in the mens' game.
Closed Thread