United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I’m guessing the idea is that by the end of the year there’ll be more successful treatments identified and available, as well as the prospect of a vaccine in approximately a years time; that means that though the virus will still exist, less people will (hopefully) be dying from it, and so life can go back to some degree of normality. It’s all still up in the air though, it will be interesting to see how things develop in China over the next month or two.
The idea being by then Klopp will have £#%&!ed off in a strop, Salah will have lost form, Rashford and Pogba will be fit again and Labour will nearly have chosen a leader.

Unread 14-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Fat Al

I'm sure I read on the BBC that if the games aren't played, then the PL is in breach of their deal with Sky & BT & will incur financial penalties as the games they have paid for cannot then be broadcast.

Unread 14-03-2020, 08:51 PM
n48

They'll bow to the overriding scouse pundit/presenter quotient and use the rest of this calendar year to play out the remainder of this season. Break for Christmas then play a one game per fixture season where skaus play all at home thereby awarding two titles.

Unread 14-03-2020, 08:56 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
The thing is, if they make an exception for Liverpool in an uncompleted season - what about all the other clubs with something at stake?

Genuine can of worms.
That’s it - they can’t do. There’s way too many variables. They finish it off or sack it.

Unread 14-03-2020, 08:57 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I'm sure I read on the BBC that if the games aren't played, then the PL is in breach of their deal with Sky & BT & will incur financial penalties as the games they have paid for cannot then be broadcast.
Which is no doubt why the government didn’t tell them to cancel it knowing the prem/fa etc would want them to pay penalties?

Unread 14-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
This. Plus clubs like United can’t moan about not being in the champions league. There’s no guarantee we’d have qualified for it this year and we should have just £#%&!ing qualified last year.

The only option that doesn’t stir up a gigantic can of hornets is cancelling and starting again.
This. Although if UEFA were to invite us in because of our history, I would lol.

Unread 14-03-2020, 09:23 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Which is no doubt why the government didn’t tell them to cancel it knowing the prem/fa etc would want them to pay penalties?

It's always penalties for the skausers.

Unread 14-03-2020, 09:26 PM
armchair

I think maybe make them "Honourary Champions"?

Similar to when Universities give Honoury Doctorates to people who haven't earned them.

Unread 14-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Sapien

Quote:
This, from her, just goes to show the vast gulf in class between the likes of her and the likes of Klopp.

Klopp's life's work has culminated in his team being two wins away from the greatest title win in domestic history, yet his comments recently were all about human compassion, wisdom and perspective.

Then, we have this odious, selfish, grasping Tory opportunist arsewipe coming out with that today.

You simply cannot buy class, dignity, empathy, wisdom, perspective etc. You have it, or you don't.

Currently, an awful lot of people are outing themselves for the selfish, classless bags of shite they really are. A select few are also standing out as beacons of light in very dark and difficult times.

We all have to decide which catagory we stand in, then act accordingly...

I think we already know which group the likes of Brady fall into. I just wonder if there a big enough rock for them all to reside under?
:rattled:

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:01 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think maybe make them "Honourary Champions"?

Similar to when Universities give Honoury Doctorates to people who haven't earned them.
That might be viable if they had already won enough points to be mathematically sure, but they won't be granted a title on probabilities.

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Pop

Thumbs down

Quote:
Klopp's life's work has culminated in his team being two wins away from the greatest title win in domestic history
£#%&! off

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:34 PM
utd99

I don’t think there’s going to be a single team/squad whose personnel won’t be affected to some degree for a good few months to come. Even if every player on every team self isolated for a month, what are they going to do, keep them away from their families and the rest of the world until they can finish the season behind closed doors? It’s obvious the move here is to bin it and start fresh next season when the situation is clearer.

They also can’t definitively conclude for one team and not all.

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
They either find a way to play all the remaining matches (not just some of them) or it gets voided. There can be no other way.
This. You can't finalise parts of the league and not others. Too many permutations.

The fallout from voiding is huge, but the practical and financial elements will be considered ahead of that.

If it can't be squeezed in during the Euro 2020 slot, it has to be voided, otherwise the timeline is thrown off forever more and we're in some sort of excellent episode of red dwarf.

If liverpool are awarded the league then that's fine by me.

They'll claim it their's but we can forever go "well, well never know, will we?" Before casually sipping from a straw in a can and moon walking out the door.

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:46 PM
Surfers do Charlie

As long as there's some sort of asterisk, however small, it's the best we could have hoped for a month or two ago.

Unread 14-03-2020, 11:48 PM
Fat Al

Pause this season til the virus has gone. Carry it on. When finished, short break then into next season (as it will almost certainly be past the mid-Aug start date).
Cancel totally the 2020 Euros. Finish the 20-21 season late but before the start of the 21-22 season, everything back on track.

That’s the only way they can do it if they want to avoiding declaring this season null & void.
I’m sure the various European leagues, domestic cups & the CL & Europa are much much bigger, financially, than the Euros. And this way means that the clubs do not lose out financially.
No national team is going to suffer severe financial hardship if the Euros are binned.
Cancel this season & clubs (and business local to the stadia) will suffer.

Unread 15-03-2020, 12:06 AM
utd99

Quote:
Pause this season til the virus has gone. Carry it on. When finished, short break then into next season (as it will almost certainly be past the mid-Aug start date).
Cancel totally the 2020 Euros. Finish the 20-21 season late but before the start of the 21-22 season, everything back on track.

That’s the only way they can do it if they want to avoiding declaring this season null & void.
I’m sure the various European leagues, domestic cups & the CL & Europa are much much bigger, financially, than the Euros. And this way means that the clubs do not lose out financially.
No national team is going to suffer severe financial hardship if the Euros are binned.
Can’t you see we’re trying to find the fairest, most ethical solution to this that also ensures Liverpool don’t win the league? You’re not helping Al.

Unread 15-03-2020, 12:06 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Can’t you see we’re trying to find the fairest, most ethical solution to this that also ensures Liverpool don’t win the league? You’re not helping Al.
Exactly

Unread 15-03-2020, 12:07 AM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The only option that doesn’t stir up a gigantic can of hornets is cancelling and starting again.
I think you're right, voiding the whole season is the path of least resistance.

Any other option will inevitably involve numerous legal challenges.

Unread 15-03-2020, 12:17 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:

The issue is you would have to get all the major European leagues including Uefa to agree to this as all the competitions will have to be in sync
Italy for instance might not be alright to get the their season continued at the same time as England

Unread 15-03-2020, 12:32 AM
Zorg

Quote:
No chance the virus will be ‘gone’ any time soon, imo. This season is over.
Closed Thread