United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-08-2023, 12:56 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I like Dalot. He's a good footballer but I think he's genuinely dopey. He seems to lose concentration and go off into a dream world a lot of the time.
Mirror image of Shaw. Just not a fullback in defensive terms. Totally awol when needed. Shaw is excellent going forward and Dalot ok.

Much as we malign old slab, the image of him hauling Shaw out of the £#%&!ing way in the 6yd box , so he could do his job for him is really unforgettable.

Unread 27-08-2023, 01:06 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Mirror image of Shaw. Just not a fullback in defensive terms. Totally awol when needed. Shaw is excellent going forward and Dalot ok.

Much as we malign old slab, the image of him hauling Shaw out of the £#%&!ing way in the 6yd box , so he could do his job for him is really unforgettable.
Shaw is great defensively except against Saka. He’s our best full back by some distance, and was the best player on the pitch several times last season. If anything I’d argue it was his attacking game that always held him back, but he’s transformed that side of his game in the last couple of seasons.

Unread 27-08-2023, 01:17 PM
Ethers

Shaw obviously has his lapses, but he’s generally solid defensively I’d say, as evidenced by his consistently superb performances when called upon to play in the middle.

Unread 27-08-2023, 01:42 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Tbf, we looked dangerous from attacking set pieces yesterday and scored with one, should’ve scored with the one Cas missed too.
We scored with the one we shouldn't have, then Dalot made a right balls of the best taken one.

Really does make me wonder what this set piece wiz actually does.

Unread 27-08-2023, 01:42 PM
pedr0

Shaw is our best full back by some distance. think the only thing that's stopped him being world class is mentality. seems to lack a bit of drive and ambition, which manifests occasionally as laziness, lack of concentration, lack of discipline etc. if he had g nevs desire to make the most of his talent, he'd be the best LB out there.

that said he obviously has some mental toughness to overcome a horrible injury and come through mourinhos toxicness

Unread 27-08-2023, 02:34 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
We scored with the one we shouldn't have, then Dalot made a right balls of the best taken one.

Hopefully in the future it will involve smacking Dalot over the head so he wakes the £#%&! up

How was he not ready for that pass?

The one that worked though was class. But would have looked ridiculous if a goal didn't come from it

Unread 27-08-2023, 02:44 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Hopefully in the future it will involve smacking Dalot over the head so he wakes the £#%&! up

How was he not ready for that pass?

The one that worked though was class. But would have looked ridiculous if a goal didn't come from it
I'm sure we were all "oh for £#%&!'s sake Bruno you £#%&!ING LEGEND!!!"

Unread 27-08-2023, 02:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo

Not sure you can blame the set piece coach because Dalot is a thick as £#%&! #@&%!.

Worst player on the pitch by a £#%&!ing mile yesterday, out of position or not. £#%&!ing awful at everything.

Unread 27-08-2023, 02:54 PM
BigJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Shaw obviously has his lapses, but he’s generally solid defensively I’d say, as evidenced by his consistently superb performances when called upon to play in the middle.
I think he’s better centrally, either a 4 or a 3 than he is wide man in a 4. His positioning at lb is poor, as is his ability to cut out crosses; he also doesn’t overlap nearly enough for the full 90. Only thing is you lose his delivery from wide - which is superb tbf - if you move him to cb.

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:02 PM
dunk

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:25 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
I think he’s better centrally, either a 4 or a 3 than he is wide man in a 4. His positioning at lb is poor, as is his ability to cut out crosses; he also doesn’t overlap nearly enough for the full 90. Only thing is you lose his delivery from wide - which is superb tbf - if you move him to cb.
The biggest issue with playing him in the centre is you realise how useless our other fully backs are as Wan Bissaka, Dalot and Malacia offer barely anything going forwards. Would bin them all and start again tbh.

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:37 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
With our defender in that situation being Marcus Rashford.

What on Earth was Rashford doing being the last man on a united corner?
Reminded me of the Portsmouth semi final in 08. Rooney and Anderson defending. But for that we'd probably have another treble.

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:47 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
We played with an intensity I’d like to see us play at when it’s 0-0.
we played that way at spurs to start with, but didn't score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Shaw is great defensively except against Saka. He’s our best full back by some distance, and was the best player on the pitch several times last season. If anything I’d argue it was his attacking game that always held him back, but he’s transformed that side of his game in the last couple of seasons.
shaw's attacking is fine, he just needs instruction - his thrusting runs and his crossing are good, but he turns back and plays conservatively too often... which is a problem with most of our players. his cross for bruno against spurs was perfect.

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:50 PM
Patty_b

Thought Dalot did well after a shocking first 20 - 30 minutes.

Not that I'd trust him to continue playing there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
mmm hmm - Didn't seem to be in Gibbs-White's eye though did it? Maybe because he's such a short-arse it was hidden behind the stand?
Well he was facing the opposite direction to AWB, sooo....

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:53 PM
dunk

Gibbs white had the run on his jump and knew where the ball was heading from the initial clearance and when looking at the ball he's not looking at the sun. AWB is staring into the sun trying to suss where the ball is and has no run for his jump. Should do better, yes, tough situation for him though. Rashford was horrendous, wtf was he doing there

Unread 27-08-2023, 03:58 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Reminded me of the Portsmouth semi final in 08. Rooney and Anderson defending. But for that we'd probably have another treble.
Outrageous officiating was a big part of it tbf.

The sort of thing where, had we been the beneficiaries, people would still be droning on about it 15 years on

Unread 28-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Jethro

Chris Sutton basically saying corruption la on the wireless last night. About as interesting as a glass of water the @#%&!.

Unread 28-08-2023, 06:05 PM
Big Norm

It's getting ridiculous now.

Unread 28-08-2023, 06:08 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
It’s their own fault for issuing a stupid apology for the wolves Onana incident . Now it’s set a precedent. Nobody but themselves to blame.

Unread 28-08-2023, 06:20 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Tbf, probably a more accurate summary. He used to often go awol in his own lb position and had a tendency to wander inside, leaving us open from the wing. Seems to have largely cut that out and is one of the best overlapping backs in the pl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we played that way at spurs to start with, but didn't score.

shaw's attacking is fine, he just needs instruction - his thrusting runs and his crossing are good, but he turns back and plays conservatively too often... which is a problem with most of our players. his cross for bruno against spurs was perfect.
Probably turns back because there’s nobody in the penalty area tbf. A commoissue with us.