United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-03-2023, 02:54 PM
Ethers

Default Snus

Interesting article in The Athletic about it this week. I’d heard it mentioned before, but didn’t realise how widespread it was at the highest level.

Anyone tried it? Is it even a problem? The article seems to think so, but could just be scaremongering.

Few United players named. Rashford is clearly a big fan of the stuff. Could be responsible for his form?

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:05 PM
guerreiro

Thought you had a typo and meant snuff. What the hell is snuss?

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:10 PM
Ethers

I guess it’s similar to snuff. It’s smokeless tobacco

Comes in these little tea bag things that you put under your lips

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:21 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I guess it’s similar to snuff. It’s smokeless tobacco

Comes in these little tea bag things that you put under your lips

Quick google search. snus is Swedish for snuff.

Loads do it over here. Great way to get throat cancer.

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:24 PM
Bunker Buster

Heard of it ages ago then it went very quiet, does it have any performance enhancing qualities or should I just let me lad have a Rollie before the game tomorrow?

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:25 PM
AK14

I preferred the Mega Drive.

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:28 PM
Ethers

“ Users talk of it giving them a calming effect and a sense of well-being. Stronger variants can involve a physical spark, which many footballers clearly feel is advantageous when the sport has never been quicker than it is now”

“ I first did it when I was 18,” says Player X, “and I was out in Manchester with some of the players I knew from England. We went to a nightclub and they said, ‘Get on these, lad’. I tried it and I just liked it. It chills you out, makes you relax.

“When you first try it, it gives you a bit of a head rush and you go a bit lightheaded. Especially if you’re out and having a drink, it gives you a nice little buzz. You’d hear stories about Jamie Vardy loving the snus. Initially, it was a thing people used to do to calm their nerves, especially players who get really anxious or nervous before games. But the more and longer you do it, you don’t really get an effect, and it becomes more of an addiction.”

Sounds pointless tbh. Footballers eh.

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Guess it depends on the strength of the tobacco.

Had snuff once on a long haul flight to LA and some norwegian lads i knew all had it. As a smoker back then I stuck one under the lip and nearly passed out. Like having 10 cigs injected into your gums.

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:53 PM
Denis Irwell

Chewing tobacco.

Been going for donkeys years. They’ve just put it in a tea bag, that’s all.

Was/is rife on the oil rigs.

Unread 31-03-2023, 03:55 PM
Arnold Muhren

Aren’t they Skoal Bandits? Remember them from the 80’s.

Unread 31-03-2023, 04:00 PM
Whip Hubley

had it the first time I went to sweden about 20 years ago. I've never smoked so it was a pretty big rush of tobacco. Never wanted to do it more than once or twice. They love that shit over there though.

Unsure why footballers would want to make it a habit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Chewing tobacco.

Been going for donkeys years. They’ve just put it in a tea bag, that’s all.

Was/is rife on the oil rigs.
it's not chewing tobacco. It's moist cut.

Unread 31-03-2023, 04:03 PM
est.1878

Quote:
“ Users talk of it giving them a calming effect and a sense of well-being. Stronger variants can involve a physical spark, which many footballers clearly feel is advantageous when the sport has never been quicker than it is now”

“ I first did it when I was 18,” says Player X, “and I was out in Manchester with some of the players I knew from England. We went to a nightclub and they said, ‘Get on these, lad’. I tried it and I just liked it. It chills you out, makes you relax.

“When you first try it, it gives you a bit of a head rush and you go a bit lightheaded. Especially if you’re out and having a drink, it gives you a nice little buzz. You’d hear stories about Jamie Vardy loving the snus. Initially, it was a thing people used to do to calm their nerves, especially players who get really anxious or nervous before games. But the more and longer you do it, you don’t really get an effect, and it becomes more of an addiction.”

just have a brew....

"get on these, lad"

Unread 31-03-2023, 04:07 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

i.e. it's nicotine.

Better than double-dropping garys i guess.

I had snus on a school skiing holiday. It was alright but i was like 14.

Unread 31-03-2023, 04:48 PM
windy waffles

Footballers taking snus, Williams doing hippy crack, Garnacho on the elf bars - what a time to be alive.

Unread 31-03-2023, 04:58 PM
History

Used to have them about 12 13 years ago working in Greece. Basically just got rid of the nicotine itch for me when i couldnt smoke. Haven't thought about them for years

Suprised how footballers would find them useful, suppose when you've got to live your life to the cleanest it would be tempting. Would of loved to have seen Barthez pop one in the gums before a Penalty. Alot of crafty shower fags in changing rooms being made obsolete by these things

Unread 31-03-2023, 05:45 PM
TravellingRed

Used to use it when I worked in Norway, just gives you a nicotine hit, burns a bit when you first try it. I used to use the loose stuff as opposed to the teabags. It's not chewing tobacco, it's totally different, not snuff in the English sense either. The Norwegians reckoned it wasn't very risky as it was steamed rather than cured like smoking tobacco.

Unread 31-03-2023, 05:49 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
should I just let me lad have a Rollie before the game tomorrow?

Do it

Unread 31-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Sparky***

ffs i thought this was about super nintendos

Unread 31-03-2023, 06:15 PM
no fun

I had NSU once

Caught it off a bird from rhyl I met in Ibiza

Unread 01-04-2023, 07:50 AM
Long tongue phooey

I would say snus is more popular than smoking now here in Sweden.

Every year Sweden lobbies the EU to lift the ban on it but it seems to get refused every time, I've no idea why as there's no link to cancer with snus (AFAIK)
Closed Thread