United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I think the big problem is that these supposed experts have to sound like they know what they're talking about, when in reality they don't actually watch much football from outside of England and thus have no £#%&!ing idea what they're talking about.
I couldn't tell you how much this irritates me.

Gary McAllister is great example of this. He clearly knows £#%&! all about the European game, yet they have him commentating on matches between Barcelona and Werder Bremen. During that match, he talked about the "efficient Germans" who would look to "grind out a result". This is as poor an analysis of Bremen's strengths and approach as you could ask for, completely formed from a pre-conceived stereotype.

They also still have that lazy stereotype of the Italian teams. According to Andy Gray (who thought Stankovic played for Valencia and on a close-up of Zanetti called him Santa Cruz) it would be interesting to see Roma and Inter have to break away from Catenaccio because they needed results away from home. Clearly not watched either side this season.

A disgusting blend of ingorance and smugness.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Juve were a great side back then. Still not a patch on Arrigo Sacchi's Milan mind!
Wonderful side.

I've got a book with pictures from 89 EC final when they played Steau Bucharest at the Nou Camp.

There's a picture in it which just amazes me of Gullitt, complete with dreads and moustache, and one of the Steau defenders ( Petrescu I think ) both leaping for a header.. I kid you not, both are in full flow and stretched and vertical.. only Gullitts jumped that much higher his boots are level with Petrescus shoulders..

Great side.

I'm sure you've already replied to a massive post I did over on RI a few months ago where I was detailing how myself and Mrs F went to see them in 93 on our honeymoon.. Staying in Milan with her Uncle, who got us the tickets.. anyway they'd gone for nearly 2 years unbeaten in the league when we turn up and they lose at home 1-0 to Parma ( Asprilla freekick ).. When we returned to her Uncles club/coffee bar where he hung out with his cronies, they all cheered and said "you go every week.. we'll get you tickets".. They were all Inter fans.

Unfortunately none of the 3 Dutchmen were playing, but we were fortunate enough to see Donadoni, the seriously underated Eranio, and the sublime Saviecevic..

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Gary McAllister is great example of this. He clearly knows £#%&! all about the European game, yet they have him commentating on matches between Barcelona and Werder Bremen. During that match, he talked about the "efficient Germans" who would look to "grind out a result". This is as poor an analysis of Bremen's strengths and approach as you could ask for, completely formed from a pre-conceived stereotype.
Spot on. It's so embarrassing. I can barely stand having the sound on TV matches these days.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

They also still have that lazy stereotype of the Italian teams. According to Andy Gray (who thought Stankovic played for Valencia and on a close-up of Zanetti called him Santa Cruz) it would be interesting to see Roma and Inter have to break away from Catenaccio because they needed results away from home. Clearly not watched either side this season.

A disgusting blend of ingorance and smugness.
Spot on. If an English team gets draw against Roma I'm absolutely certain we'll get all the stuff about clever but negative Italian teams and how they are experts at defending a lead or playing for draws. None of them will have watched even one Roma match this season. Not one.

The Bremen thing is almost digusting in its idiocy. All they have to do is watch a couple of Bremen matches. But no, instead they wing it, do no research and rely on the same old tired £#%&!ing stereotypes.

Another blatant example from this season, albeit related to the fans: I remember watching Tevez and Mascherano's first match at West Ham and the commentator came out with something about how awestruck they must be at the incredible atmosphere and how they'll never have seen anything like it before. These are the same people who commentate on Champions League matches.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Another blatant example from this season, albeit related to the fans: I remember watching Tevez and Mascherano's first match at West Ham and the commentator came out with something about how awestruck they must be at the incredible atmosphere and how they'll never have seen anything like it before. These are the same people who commentate on Champions League matches.
Jesus, I missed that. That's possibly the worst one.

It's true that they seem to do absolutely no research and expect that because you won't know any different, they'll get away with it. I remember when England played Holland earlier this season and Huntelaar came on, the commentators basically said they'd never heard of him. What kind of preperation do they do? Considering that Ajax had played PSV the three days earlier, would it be asking too much to maybe have just taken the game in on t.v?

The Eurosport commentators are, as you would expect, much better in this respect. Too bad they don't get any football.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Wonderful side.

I've got a book with pictures from 89 EC final when they played Steau Bucharest at the Nou Camp.

There's a picture in it which just amazes me of Gullitt, complete with dreads and moustache, and one of the Steau defenders ( Petrescu I think ) both leaping for a header.. I kid you not, both are in full flow and stretched and vertical.. only Gullitts jumped that much higher his boots are level with Petrescus shoulders..

Great side.

I'm sure you've already replied to a massive post I did over on RI a few months ago where I was detailing how myself and Mrs F went to see them in 93 on our honeymoon.. Staying in Milan with her Uncle, who got us the tickets.. anyway they'd gone for nearly 2 years unbeaten in the league when we turn up and they lose at home 1-0 to Parma ( Asprilla freekick ).. When we returned to her Uncles club/coffee bar where he hung out with his cronies, they all cheered and said "you go every week.. we'll get you tickets".. They were all Inter fans.

Unfortunately none of the 3 Dutchmen were playing, but we were fortunate enough to see Donadoni, the seriously underated Eranio, and the sublime Saviecevic...
Ah, so that was you. I'm afraid I'm not too good at remembering who posted what, but I recall the story clearly. That was a great post!

Savicevic was one of my favourite players. A true footballing genius, a big game player and a proper lazy bastard too

Serie A back then was just on another level to everywhere else. Certainly the strongest league I've ever seen.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Zorg

I just don't know what purpose these cretinous #@&%!s serve. Who listens to them and thinks 'yes, hmmm, good point'? They get paid handsomely just to make background noise. 'I think they'll want to win this one Gary'. No shit - thanks for that Lee.

Unread 08-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Grimson

Quote:
The Bremen thing is almost digusting in its idiocy. All they have to do is watch a couple of Bremen matches. But no, instead they wing it, do no research and rely on the same old tired £#%&!ing stereotypes.
It's actually hilarious to me. Bremen, as we all know, are one of the most attack-minded sides in the world. "Grind out results" .
Closed Thread