United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Grimson

Default Re: *Official* Spurs v United Match Thread - Teams, Links and Foreboding

I'll be amused if Harry mentions 'the title' again. I wouldn't bet a dime on them finishing top 4. Not that they're poor, but they have to shove Chelsea, City, or Arsenal out, and they're not going to do it, unless Chelsea really have fallen apart for good, which I don't think they have.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Argentina

Default Re: *Official* Spurs v United Match Thread - Teams, Links and Foreboding

Giggs was poor for Giggs

You could see Rafael being sent off as soon as he got the first, which wasn't a booking

Carrick was superb 2nd half

Vidic MotM

Rooney had a great 20-25 minutes in the first half but waned for some of it.

Overall, an entertaining game. Reminded me of the 90s that game did. It was fun to watch.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

United started the second half very well and in total control of what they were doing. It pretty quickly amounted to £#%&! all though and Mike Dean took over. That's the only period of the match when you could properly guauge that we weren't quite on blob in the final third. Thought Giggs and Rooney were especially wasteful 1st half, but good to see Rooney getting a couple of shots off. Expect to see him alone up front again very soon to give Berbatov another game or two off before the run-in. The call between Carrick and Anderson was tricky but looks as if the solution was both, with Fletcher on the right. Hey ho...

As an aside, this made me chuckle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I've said before that if we had different owners I don't think Berbatov would have still been here...and let's be honest Carrick would be long gone.
classic fanzinese

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:30 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
good old fashiioned game Borsers, agreed.

but one we used to win!

nobody can complain that we went down to ten men and Spurs did virtually £#%&! all.

If I were Ginners I'd be wondering what happened to Bale and VDV in that second half.
quote of the day was Efan Ekoku in the 84th minute after Rafael had been sent off and Twitchknapp brought Defoe on......"spurs are really going for this"

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
quote of the day was Efan Ekoku in the 84th minute after Rafael had been sent off and Twitchknapp brought Defoe on......"spurs are really going for this"
who?

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Have to say, being such massive underdogs it wasn't that bad a result

The best 2 players in the world were nullified by our solid play

Surely Bale's value must have dropped by about £50 million now to around a £150 mil, after all he failed to do what we have been told he was gonna do all week

Stan Collymore is holding a Spanish inquiry into why superman didn't win the game as I type

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:37 PM
FannyBanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
classic fanzinese
ffs, so you can't get it from the media (no idea of football finances and all abu), the internet (full of doomlords apparently) and now the fanzines are off limits.

So how the £#%&! do you form opinions throb? Especially considering you once again weren't at the game (you only go to midlands matches apparently).

You're an idiot, the way you laugh at people for having views on football, yet yours is itself clouded by your own warped sense of self, that you're somehow in a position of strength () because you ignore all the outlets. The outlets that fund football remember.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Have to say, being such massive underdogs it wasn't that bad a result

The best 2 players in the world were nullified by our solid play

Surely Bale's value must have dropped by about £50 million now to around a £150 mil, after all he failed to do what we have been told he was gonna do all week

Stan Collymore is holding a Spanish inquiry into why superman didn't win the game as I type
thought he had a pretty good game, every time he ran at rafael he got past him, his crossing was a bit off but he still put a few decent balls in.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Pudge_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Valencia was always coming to United, we needed to invest in the team when Ronaldo left, if you sell the world's best player you have to do that to justify selling him, and we didn't. The midfield needs investment badly and has done for 2 years tbh. Giggs and Scholes are on their way out, we have Anderson who will be here long term, Fletcher is decent when he's at the top of his game, which he hasn't this season and Carrick looks a long way off a United player atm. That leaves Gibson...
Is this a new post or has it been copied and pasted from 2009?

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

did Mike Dean give a single foul in the match against a Spurs defender in their own half? there were a whole string of challenges on our front 4 throughout but...

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:41 PM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
If you're happy with what you're seeing every week then fair play to you.

Me? I think it's a bit poor tbh.
No mate, not happy with it but, as i said before, the giddyometer has gone up this weekend because ...Citeh beat wolves chelsea beat blackburn arsenal beat wham

Yet we drew against spurs who are imo the hardest draw out of all of them teams to be against, Can we improve ? we can always improve. Can we score more goals? yes we could. Could we sign some better players to help us on our quest ? yeah course we could.

Am I going to moan about a draw away against a decent spurs team after spending the last 15/20 minutes with ten men ? ............NO

Its not that im happy with it, just that it takes a lot more before I throw in the towel and see my arse with the team I love tbf. If it works for you? then fair play to you i suppose :chelseafan:

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:47 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

controversial statement time
i thought carrick was excellent in our half especially, referees on our side as per
£#%&! it, top of the league

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
Take your pick. Carrick, Giggs and Rooney have been poor.
No Fletch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
2nd time in 2 seasons we've had two dodgy sending offs, will it be mentioned??/

Will it £#%&!.
Dodgy decisions against United do not warrant scrutiny, only those for. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
You could always not bother ? issapointedwithsparkysspoiltattitude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
fantastic game, good to see two sides attacking each other and playing open football. carrick getting slagged off again he was tremendous defensively in that second half, great display. mind, he could put in a performance like keane in turin and he'd still get slagged off on here.

mike dean gave us nothing that second half, couldn't wait to get the card out for rafael there. having said that, rafael was impulsive and was a red card waiting to happen tbf.

proper old-fashioned game that, 4-4-2 against 4-4-2, really physical, high tempo stuff and end to end all game. reminded me of away games in the 90s when the home side wouldn't show up with five at the back and ten behind the ball all game but would throw themselves at you. great game between two good sides.

four points off spurs that, isn't it? i'll take that.

top of the league, undefeated.

£#%&! off berties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
[SIZE="4"]Fletch was the worst player on the pitch today not carrick ffs

Turned into a shadow of himself even more than carrick.
Agreed. Gives the ball away far, far too much.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:51 PM
bobbledinho

Defence was outstanding today.
Everything else frustrating.
Rooney had a couple of shots but had the touch of a rapist and gave the ball away a lot.
Berbatov was inconspicuous.
Nani was ineffective.

Happy enough with a point, could have been first loss in the league.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Redordead

Bale and Modric would be exceptional additions to our team....

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbledinho
Defence was outstanding today.
Everything else frustrating.
I think that's spot on tbh.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Whalefish

Defensively we were superb and in the main kept Bale, VDV and Crouch quiet. Only the VDV chance after 80mins really stuck out as a £#%&! me that was close moment. Oh, Crouch's effort first half. But then we had a few moments too mainly through Rooney and I thought Gomes had more saves to make than VDS. Not saying much though, chances for both sides were few and far between.

That said, I thought in an attacking sense we lacked any spark or inspiration. Carrick and Fletcher is a fairly solid but uninspiring pairing and with Nani marked out of the game a lot of responsibility on Giggs shoulders and I thought he was poor. I've mentioned about buying a Hargreaves type midfielder in his absence but it's becoming apparent that we're shy on creativity. £#%&! it, Utd could do with both.

Overall, a point is no bad thing.

Modric is a gem of a midfielder. Can see Barca having a look at him if they don't end up with Fabregas.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:57 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
no need for bad language fes

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
No mate, not happy with it but, as i said before, the giddyometer has gone up this weekend because ...Citeh beat wolves chelsea beat blackburn arsenal beat wham

Yet we drew against spurs who are imo the hardest draw out of all of them teams to be against, Can we improve ? we can always improve. Can we score more goals? yes we could. Could we sign some better players to help us on our quest ? yeah course we could.

Am I going to moan about a draw away against a decent spurs team after spending the last 15/20 minutes with ten men ? ............NO

Its not that im happy with it, just that it takes a lot more before I throw in the towel and see my arse with the team I love tbf. If it works for you? then fair play to you i suppose :chelseafan:
I'm talking about the bigger picture to be honest. No just this game.

This season, away from home in the league, we have fluctuated between awful, ok and distinctly average.

nothing approaching what i would consider a 'united title winning performance'.

this side flatters do decieve sometimes, some of our key players are now past it, desperately out of form or just plain not good enough.

Rio, vidic and edwin held that lot together today. had evans or smalling been playing i dread to think what would have happened.

Unread 16-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead
Bale and Modric would be exceptional additions to our team....
Sure Harry'll do a deal