United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Switching Off

Default Re: Question re - Europa League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Monsoon
UEFA cup winners used to go straight into the champions league if they won it didnt they?
Don't think so but could be wrong mate.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:32 PM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
I don't really see how it's a stupid question, the winner of the europa league doesn't automatically qualify for the champions league anymore, they abandoned that. So if they want the title holders to defend their title, not exactly ridiculous is it.

But you all look really clever.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Put your shovel down GM ffs

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Erm, You'd play in both, because you're registered to play in both? This question is just stupid, what point are you trying to prove here?
No you clown, I meant what European tournament. You'd playing in the Champions League because it's the bigger tournament!

I think officially you get an invite to both but it's assumed you would want to play in the higher level tournament!

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
No you clown, I meant what European tournament. You'd playing in the Champions League because it's the bigger tournament!

I think officially you get an invite to both but it's assumed you would want to play in the higher level tournament!
Blimey, people are so eager to jump on someone if they make a mistake. I just wondered whether UEFA would prefer the winners of the europa league to defend their title if they won it. Seems to undermine the competition somewhat if they win it then ditch it.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
I had that on dvd, massively underrated show.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Blimey, people are so eager to jump on someone if they make a mistake. I just wondered whether UEFA would prefer the winners of the europa league to defend their title if they won it. Seems to undermine the competition somewhat if they win it then ditch it.
It's sorta like when Hogan faced the Warrior at Wrestlemania 6. Warrior was Intercontinental champion and Hogan was World Champion, and BOTH BELTS WERE ON THE LINE!!! But when Warrior won he ditched the Intercontinental title and just kept the World Title.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:39 PM
ReligiousRed

Quote:
I had that on dvd, massively underrated show.
Love that gif tbh ...makes me

I hope no offence was taken in the pasting of it

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:40 PM
poppy

Quote:
Not half as much as it would to see a team throw the final on the basis they were set well in their own league for CL qualification.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
It's sorta like when Hogan faced the Warrior at Wrestlemania 6. Warrior was Intercontinental champion and Hogan was World Champion, and BOTH BELTS WERE ON THE LINE!!! But when Warrior won he ditched the Intercontinental title and just kept the World Title.

See that's just disrespectful to all the previous intercontinental title holders, and makes the belt look shit.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
See that's just disrespectful to all the previous intercontinental title holders, and makes the belt look shit.
Agreed, but it was the title that "wrestlers" held, so it was better off without the Warrior. Think Texas Tornado then won it pissed in a tournament

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Grimson

Quote:
tbf to you I see where you're going now. You just didn't ask the right question first time around.

The winner of the UEFA Cup has never been granted admission into the following season's Champions League. Spurs won the first UEFA Cup in 1972 but did not play in the European Cup the following season.

UEFA operate the two competitions on the premise that the European Cup is the superior competition, so if a team wins the Europa League but also qualifies for the Champions League, nobody is going to see that as 'ditching' the Europa League. They're just making the obvious and expected move to a more prestigious and lucrative competition.

It's like suggesting the team that wins the Championship should hang around another season to defend their title.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
It's like suggesting the team that wins the Championship should hang around another season to defend their title.

ffs, gorilla stick to wrestling.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Argentina

Quote:
A tournament can't be undermined any more than if citeh were to play in it anyway, never mind win it!

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners

ffs, gorilla stick to wrestling.
This is why people respect Grimson and just see you as a slightly less annoying version of rafabio. Grimson took the piss initially but used his football knowledge to explain the situation clearly.

You just sit there and stick a smiley in, hence why most people hate you.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Grimson

I feel like a dick now.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
This is why people respect Grimson and just see you as a slightly less annoying version of rafabio. Grimson took the piss initially but used his football knowledge to explain the situation clearly.

You just sit there and stick a smiley in, hence why most people hate you.
tbf he's too busy voting on x factor to explain it properly.

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:52 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Question re - Europa League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy

Unread 21-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I feel like a dick now.
youll get used to it