United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 04-03-2023, 03:54 PM
Boring Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Any rugby stadiums near by ? Roughly 40k plus would be ok. The only places that are big enough should never ever be an option (in London)

Edit. Just had a look. Didn’t realise rugby stadiums were so small. I thought we would have atleast 2 , 30k+ stadiums
There is surely the possibility to play at the cricket ground

Unread 04-03-2023, 03:55 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

"I don't just want a roof doing, it surely has to be retractable"

Was recently given the wifi password also and its not even that bad (available via pm begging)

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:00 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
There is surely the possibility to play at the cricket ground
How’s that?

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:01 PM
Lodestar

That ground and pitch are sacred - inconceivable that we would build a new stadium. Are they knocking the Vatican down because it's just too old?

$#*! loads of grounds have been around 100+ years and do ok. New grounds are part of the sanitisation of the game with the inception of the Premier League and all seater stadia. Besides only the Qatari owners could afford it - if Big Jim has to do it then expect across the board price increases as his financial backers will. be hungry.

I'm open to South stand being sorted out and temporary reduction in capacity. We've already done this with the Stretford End.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:02 PM
Boring Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
How’s that?
I imagine by marking out a rectangular pitch in the middle of the ground as a start.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:03 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That’s the issue and that’s why talk of new stadium completely, either built next door or somewhere else so no dip in match day revenue.
That temporary stadium used for the WC (the one built with shipping containers) held about 45k & was dismantled to be shipped off somewhere.

I'm sure the technical know-how exists to do the same with a larger capacity. And then take it down & sell it to someone.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:04 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
How’s that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
And then take it down & sell it to someone.
How big is Pete Boltons garden

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
That temporary stadium used for the WC (the one built with shipping containers) held about 45k & was dismantled to be shipped off somewhere.

I'm sure the technical know-how exists to do the same with a larger capacity. And then take it down & sell it to someone.
That was mentioned in the thread at the time of the plans. They’d need a shit ton of land somewhere for that.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:10 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory Dave
I imagine by marking out a rectangular pitch in the middle of the ground as a start.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:12 PM
believe

Quote:
That was mentioned in the thread at the time of the plans. They’d need a $#*! ton of land somewhere for that.
What for?

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What for?
To put it up?

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:24 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Yep

Always seems to be the people that don't go who want the new stadium too
OT needs to evolve, not revolve

I know there’s a ship of Theseus vibe going on but for me…OT has to just be tweaked and not become like The Emirates

Do up the surrounding area and so on for sure but OT is a special place.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:26 PM
believe

Quote:
To put it up?
It’s actually the complete opposite. It’s all offsite construction so it reduces the footprint required for a standard build. Not that it would ever be an option for old trafford of course.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
It’s actually the complete opposite. It’s all offsite construction so it reduces the footprint required for a standard build. Not that it would ever be an option for old trafford of course.
Oh, no, I was talking about as an option of being temporary home while OT was done up, you'd need a fair old space to chuck up a temporary 40k stadium with accessibility etc. assuming they don't have the space/land around OT already.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:37 PM
Arnold Muhren

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:38 PM
believe

Quote:
Oh, no, I was talking about as an option of being temporary home while OT was done up, you'd need a fair old space to chuck up a temporary 40k stadium with accessibility etc. assuming they don't have the space/land around OT already.
Ah right, well obviously I can’t see it ever being an option personally. They’ll either do up OT in stages which I think will be the preferred option or build a completely new stadium and use OT until it’s built. Also, aren’t there 50k season tickets holders now? Not sure how they pick 40000 out.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Ah right, well obviously I can’t see it ever being an option personally. They’ll either do up OT in stages which I think will be the preferred option or build a completely new stadium and use OT until it’s built. Also, aren’t there 50k season tickets holders now? Not sure how they pick 40000 out.
Indeed. A stand at a time would be the ideal. Start with South and extending it/doing the corners and work round, somehow.

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:48 PM
est.1878

"can't build over the railway" nostalgia within 5 posts imo

Unread 04-03-2023, 04:56 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
There’s a lot of strawmanning going on here:

99% of people want United to stay at OT. They also acknowledge it needs some TLC. They’ve seen Madrid doing up the Bernabeau and figured that’s what we should do to some extent, that cost €800m+. Madrid have played in their reserves stadium while the roof was sorted afaik, as I’m not sure there’s any way of safely playing on the pitch while works go on overhead, and you can’t get it done in the, what, 12 weeks? that is the close season.

The Glazers got some options knocked up, I think they all involved us having to play elsewhere for a stretch, so while not an immediate issue, it’s one the next owners have to factor in.

Yes we all love OT, everyone wants the South Stand sorting, the roof doing etc. it would be nice if they could just attack it a stand at a time, while we play on, but I don’t know how feasible that is
That's because many on the thread only want Ratcliffe (or they don't mind the Glazers staying).

There's no way Jim would be funding any kind of serious stadium work any time soon.

I will say though that Real Madrid's Bernabeu renovation looks amazing. They were prepared to play elsewhere and pay for the best they could get and it looks like they've got it.

Unread 04-03-2023, 05:11 PM
ScarFace

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
Doubt anybody outbids that. Nevermind as an opener.