Unread 17-09-2020, 09:56 AM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
on double the amount of dosh that kane and son earn combined
Kane has to be top earner, it’s in his contract

Unread 17-09-2020, 10:16 AM
redhegemony

Spurs are desperate to get top 4 for finances hence getting Mourinho in - short term fix to prop them up. Bale and the left back are both terrible deals on the face of it but just part of this desperation - if it comes off and they get top 4 that's all they want. Long term it doesn't help.

Unread 17-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Spurs are desperate to get top 4 for finances hence getting Mourinho in - short term fix to prop them up. Bale and the left back are both terrible deals on the face of it but just part of this desperation - if it comes off and they get top 4 that's all they want. Long term it doesn't help.
Honestly think they have no chance of top 4 this season unless Mourinho goes mid season and they get there from a new manager bounce.

Unread 17-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
As per the Swiss Ramble Twitter thread Dunk posted the other day, Spurs are massively in the hole (oh er) to the tune of £500m+

CL football is essential for them to manage a long term future, it's not unlike the Arsenal situation when they moved & effectively needed Wenger to work on 50p & a big orange every summer whilst selling their best players. Mourinho is never going to be able to work that sort of magic without moaning like a massive helmet despite being under no illusions about the financial mess they're in. He'll do that because Spurs fans will be on his side (or half will, half will see through it), he's there to be a panto villain - sort of the role he covets these days so he can get sacked after a couple of years & add another £10m to his account.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:00 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
If the question is/was Bale for a year or no-one, I'd probably have taken him to bulk up the squad at least.
Yeah I'd probably start Bale ahead of James as well.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:05 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Yeah I'd probably start Bale ahead of James as well.
I'd start Fred the Red instead of James tbh.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:09 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Nah - I'd start James over fred the red in costume. Can't say for sure out of costume.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:09 PM
utd99

Quote:
Jesus, change the record for a bit please pal. I think we got it on the millionth post slagging the kid off.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
If the question is/was Bale for a year or no-one, I'd probably have taken him to bulk up the squad at least.
That's the issue with these types of signings though.

It's better than what we have

Its better than nothing etc.

Except it isnt. Sanchez was apparently better than what we had and low risk because he's free.

Then the damage it does to the wage bill and then we can't get rid of him and they end up being costly deals.

Bale could do well, of course, but we're trying to build something that moves us away from those types of signings, so we need to consistently knock them back when they present themselves.

We either commit to the 'vision' or we don't.

I'm glad we were nowhere near him tbh.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:42 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Jesus, change the record for a bit please pal. I think we got it on the millionth post slagging the kid off.
Was just making sure in case there was any doubt.

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:50 PM
bosskeano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

Except it isnt. Sanchez was apparently better than what we had and low risk because he's free.

Then the damage it does to the wage bill and then we can't get rid of him and they end up being costly deals.

Bale could do well, of course, but we're trying to build something that moves us away from those types of signings, so we need to consistently knock them back when they present themselves.

it's certainly a gamble but if he comes good for just one season and helps get them a trophy and back into the CL....money well spent

worse case scenario they are only out the money spent on his wages because it's a loan deal

Unread 17-09-2020, 01:58 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Sanchez was a signing, Bale is a loan. There’s a big difference

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Sanchez was a signing, Bale is a loan. There’s a big difference
I'd presumed they were signing him tbh. The money will still be ridiculous, but it is for them a 'big' signing and statement of intent. If it gets them where they need to be, i.e. top 4, it will be seen as a success.

I have literally no idea what Bale is going to turn up though.

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:09 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I'd presumed they were signing him tbh. The money will still be ridiculous, but it is for them a 'big' signing and statement of intent. If it gets them where they need to be, i.e. top 4, it will be seen as a success.

I have literally no idea what Bale is going to turn up though.
The one who is usually top quality when he is fit?

People acting like he's a has-been ffs.

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:10 PM
BarryX

Quote:
That's not really the point though.

The point is going for someone simply because they're available and 'better than what we've got'. It's short term thinking and the type of player that has landed us in trouble for years.

I get that it's just a loan, but when Ole spends his whole time talking about players of a certain profile, wanting to play for the club etc, this type of deal flies in the face of it.

It appears low risk and that's the appeal of them. They draw you in.

It doesn't have to be Bale or nothing. It's Bale or finding the right player, whenever that is.
I guess my original point was: if there's no right player who we can actually buy, I'd have risked taking Bale for the one season. Still think we'll get Sancho, which I'd prefer by a long distance, but if he doesn't come and there's nobody else...

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:10 PM
Buck

Quote:
That's not really the point though.

The point is going for someone simply because they're available and 'better than what we've got'. It's short term thinking and the type of player that has landed us in trouble for years.

I get that it's just a loan, but when Ole spends his whole time talking about players of a certain profile, wanting to play for the club etc, this type of deal flies in the face of it.

It appears low risk and that's the appeal of them. They draw you in.

It doesn't have to be Bale or nothing. It's Bale or finding the right player, whenever that is.

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:12 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

£#%&!ing hell.

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:12 PM
Whip Hubley

Thumbs up

Quote:
The one who is usually top quality when he is fit?

People acting like he's a has-been ffs.
Answered your own question there haven't you waffles, which was kind of my point you big wet the bed

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Already edited

Quote:
I guess my original point was: if there's no right player who we can actually buy, I'd have risked taking Bale for the one season. Still think we'll get Sancho, which I'd prefer by a long distance, but if he doesn't come and there's nobody else...
No, I get it. Like I say, there's an appeal there and I'm not even making claims on how he would or wouldn't do.

It's just the type of player I want to see us moving away from. We've mostly been praising Ole for how he's gone about transfers, so I'm pleased to see us stay clear of this, regardless of how good he might still be.

Personally, if it's Bale or nobody, I'd rather nobody. Not a single person wanted him or felt we needed him until it was clear he was available.

Unread 17-09-2020, 02:18 PM
bosskeano

forgot Ighalo is signed on loan until January 2021
Closed Thread