United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Reply
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 02:12 AM
utd99
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
I was responding to RICís post which smacked of double standards set against oft-stated views elsewhere. Like him, I didnít read the article but I fail to see the difference between people that refuse to stand behind flags they donít agree with, is it a free speech issue or not?
Depends on whoís judging and whether they agree with the stance or not.
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 02:27 AM
S/Side.Red
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
I was responding to RICís post which smacked of double standards set against oft-stated views elsewhere. Like him, I didnít read the article but I fail to see the difference between people that refuse to stand behind flags they donít agree with, is it a free speech issue or not?
Ric didn't actually say she had no right to choose whether she had rainbow colours in her shirt number, did he? He just made an assumption that she's probably homophobic. Gotta say I reckon she probably is too. You could ask him if he believes she has the right to that particular stance without reprimand. Maybe you have before, I dunno.

It's surely not as if all political statements or protests should be treated the same regardless of motive of the nature of them?
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 02:36 AM
My Name is Heath
 
Default

Back in the day this issue would have been clarified by simply investigating who has the bigger jugs. The Devil Dodger or the Todger Dodgers.
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 02:37 AM
Chris Quayd
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Ric didn't actually say she had no right to choose whether she had rainbow colours in her shirt number, did he? He just made an assumption that she's probably homophobic. Gotta say I reckon she probably is too. You could ask him if he believes she has the right to that particular stance without reprimand. Maybe you have before, I dunno.

It's surely not as if all political statements or protests should be treated the same regardless of motive of the nature of them?
Weíre going to get sidetracked into peopleís motives, my question was it is a free speech issue or not? Are you saying that depends on the motives?

I donít know if sheís homophobic, surely thereís a difference between not agreeing with something and being intolerant?
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 05:15 AM
Patty_b
 
Default

I don't think it matters whether she's homophobic, intolerant or whatever, as long as she doesnt actively go out of her way to discriminate against homosexuals, she can believe what she wants. She's allowed her own opinion, even if it's based on magic sky fairies.

Like Scarface said, she thinks the world is 6000 years old and the Flintstones is partly based on fact, that she doesnt personally agree with two people of the same sex fucking is the least of anyones concern.

The question for me is, is the Pride Rainbow a political symbol? If it is, then no-one should be 'forced' to wear it. Noone should be forced to wear any political symbols that they don't believe in, even if it makes them look like an intolerant bint.

In this case it sounds like she was dropped from the World Cup Sqaud 'cos she's shit, not for refusing to wear the rainbow. But it sounds like she had to pull out of the game with the rainbow numbers at the time as she had no other choice.
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Albert Tatlock
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
Back in the day this issue would have been clarified by simply investigating who has the bigger jugs. The Devil Dodger or the Todger Dodgers.
I wish rep was back
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 07:14 AM
S/Side.Red
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
Weíre going to get sidetracked into peopleís motives, my question was it is a free speech issue or not? Are you saying that depends on the motives?

I donít know if sheís homophobic, surely thereís a difference between not agreeing with something and being intolerant?
We're not getting sidetracked because the motive was the only thing Riccers addressed, and was strangely torn down for.

These things can go either way due to the sanctimonious indignation that inevitably spreads. But if these idiots who hide behind the bible to justify discriminating against people have a tougher time doing so, I don't have much sympathy tbh. Happy to leave them behind.
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 07:26 AM
Whip Hubley
 
Default

it'd be cool if everyone was just allowed to have their own views, without imposing them on others and without being told they can't have them.


state.
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 07:36 AM
windy waffles
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
it'd be cool if everyone was just allowed to have their own views, without imposing them on others and without being told they can't have them.


state.
Amen.
 
Unread 12-07-2019, 07:52 AM
S/Side.Red
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
it'd be cool if everyone was just allowed to have their own views, without imposing them on others and without being told they can't have them.


state.
They're just asking her to support anti-discrimination tbf. It's hardly North Korea.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: USA Player Dropped For Pride Flag Snub
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manchester United snub FA over player data fred tissue Football Auto-Threads 0 30-05-2017 10:40 PM
Player dropped by medical staff Grimson Football 5 30-07-2009 06:02 PM
The pride of Manchester.. Hopskipjump Off Topic 9 30-05-2008 08:25 PM
we are the pride of all europe rebelcountyred Off Topic 5 22-05-2008 09:06 AM
Pride George Bestial Off Topic 10 06-02-2008 11:51 AM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2019 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.