United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football Auto-Threads

Unread 05-07-2020, 10:20 AM
fred tissue

Default Paul Parker: 'I'd bring the lager. Rocky would bring Brandy and Babycham'

Thirty years on from starring in Italia 90, the full-back talks David Rocastle, Manchester United and his experiences with racism

Paul Parker is getting goosebumps. He has spoken in the preceding hour and a half about the racism he faced in the 1970s and 80s, of having a starring role in England’s journey to the 1990 World Cup semi-final, and the pros and cons of playing football at Old Trafford. But it is the memories of his mate David Rocastle that catch him off guard.

“For the 1990 qualifiers, Dave and I shared a room together,” says Parker. “Normally we’d go away with England on the Saturday night and not play until Wednesday. Rocky would sneak in some drinks before training on Monday. I would bring four cans of lager, Rocky would arrive with Brandy and Babycham. But that was him. He was the happiest man, always smiling and would often call his wife, Janet, late at night, just to hear the sound of his baby daughter’s voice. You would hear him just singing to Melissa down the phone.”

Related: Pierre van Hooijdonk: ‘I told Ron Atkinson he was a pub manager’

Related: Philippe Albert: ‘Keegan would buy fish and chips and the drinks for our Newcastle team’

Related: Karel Poborsky: ‘They put me into a coma. All my face muscles were paralysed’

Continue reading...

More...