United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Crumps

Default LVG's Renaissance Men

Plenty of players have been written off by us over the last few seasons to the point of some claiming we'd need 7 or 8 new players to become competitive again.

I was right about Welbz, Evans, Jones, Valencia and Clevz in particular. Also that Young had pleasantly surprised me. I do not forgive any of the terrible performances put in but I do recognise they have been dragged through the last few seasons on graft and then last season were treated like @#%&!s. Virtually all our players are very good technically it's just the last few seasons we have been playing not great football. Which you can make excuses for under Fergie as we were getting results on the pitch but we needed the Moyesocaust to wake us up.

Get the feeling Nani may end up going, I doubt his magic will spread to Fellainaids and this might be the last 'this will be Ando's' season.

I was always of the feeling we'd need a left back and a couple of midfielders. Got them if Fellaini is replaced. We will of course need at least one experienced centre half too to replace Vidic and Ferdinand's presence in the squad.

Can't believe Vidic has gone.

Unread 03-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Sparky***

Cleverley came on last night and showed exactly why he's not good enough. Couldn't even do a quarter of Herrera did.

Cleverley gave the ball away cheaply, got caught dawdling on the ball several times and when he wasn't doing that it was all sideways and backwards.

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Cleverley came on last night and showed exactly why he's not good enough. Couldn't even do a quarter of Herrera did.

Cleverley gave the ball away cheaply, got caught dawdling on the ball several times and when he wasn't doing that it was all sideways and backwards.
Definitely need a stronger midfielder present with that one tbf and will always look good in a team that is performing well helping the play along. Only pre season but all signs are positive and we have a manager now where you either shape up or £#%&! off and will know how to get the best out of our players. £#%&!ing Moyes was like letting Maureen from Driving School (she was a real thing ffs) loose in a F1 car.

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Plenty of players have been written off by us over the last few seasons to the point of some claiming we'd need 7 or 8 new players to become competitive again.

I was right about Welbz, Evans, Jones, Valencia and Clevz in particular. Also that Young had pleasantly surprised me. I do not forgive any of the terrible performances put in but I do recognise they have been dragged through the last few seasons on graft and then last season were treated like @#%&!s. Virtually all our players are very good technically it's just the last few seasons we have been playing not great football. Which you can make excuses for under Fergie as we were getting results on the pitch but we needed the Moyesocaust to wake us up.

Get the feeling Nani may end up going, I doubt his magic will spread to Fellainaids and this might be the last 'this will be Ando's' season.

I was always of the feeling we'd need a left back and a couple of midfielders. Got them if Fellaini is replaced. We will of course need at least one experienced centre half too to replace Vidic and Ferdinand's presence in the squad.

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
dragflick

Quote:

Same. Absolute rock in our defence at times, and still had a couple of years left to give us. Beast of a defender, will be missed. Don't know how much of it was him wanting out cause of he who shall not be named, or whether like Evra it was his wife who wanted a move away. Probably a bit of both tbh. If he knew LvG was coming in, I think he'd have stayed on.

Jones has looked a lot better playing in his actual position this pre-season and think he'll develop into a top class centre half. Need another excellent experienced one in before the window shuts though, Hummels would be ideal. Think there's something in that aswell.

Tony V still needs to learn not to just @#%&! the ball at the first defender

Clev- unconvinced.

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:47 PM
WarwickRoad

Fletcher has been a revelation on this tour so far. And to think that we still have Carrick to come back. It pains me to say it, but Young has been decent as well. I have also been impressed by Jones, Evans, Keane and Blackett.

For my money, Cleverley and Valencia have a role to do this season and should stay. Fellaini, Anderson and Nani are surplus to requirements and should be shipped out. I agree that an experienced CB should be a priority, but the squad as it stands and playing the way they have been so far should be more than capable of getting us back where we belong.

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:56 PM
FraUtd

Valencia is still too one dimensional, defenders just know to cover his right foot or show him on to his left.

Couple of perfect examples during the Real game last night, Valencia running at the full back, dummies a cross with his right and pulls it back to his left, defender ignores the dummy because he knows Valencia is going to put it on his right foot again, which he promptly does and the defender blocks the cross :shakehead:

Unless LVG can change Valencia's only game plan, then he may as well get shipped out

Unread 03-08-2014, 06:12 PM
wonky no

It's amazing in its simplicity. You watch the way we play now. Whether it's going forward of backwards there is a passing opportunity within 12 yards of the player on the ball. There's no need to turn the oppo and get to the line before crossing. The angles all over the pitch are a breath of fresh air.

The likes of young have good technical ability but like everyone else the frustration of forever losing possession through predicable play held him back. The zest of playing 1-2's in and around midfield and springing attack after attack brings the best out of everyone. Not just young but Valencia too. The grief val got for doing the same things every time he got the ball... He had no options.

Rooney having to come deep to get on the ball, pea coming on as sub and having to do the same. Easily defended against. I can't see pea getting caught offside often if he stays. The option of mata, kaga and carrick playing more central is twitch inducing when you consider rvp and Rooney are infront of them.

As for nani. I can't see him developing. He's not a central player or a wing back.

Unread 03-08-2014, 06:24 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

We've got nothing to lose with nanners, well either get him bringing his best or he'll not play.

Unread 03-08-2014, 06:31 PM
WarwickRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
It's amazing in its simplicity. You watch the way we play now. Whether it's going forward of backwards there is a passing opportunity within 12 yards of the player on the ball. There's no need to turn the oppo and get to the line before crossing. The angles all over the pitch are a breath of fresh air.

The likes of young have good technical ability but like everyone else the frustration of forever losing possession through predicable play held him back. The zest of playing 1-2's in and around midfield and springing attack after attack brings the best out of everyone. Not just young but Valencia too. The grief val got for doing the same things every time he got the ball... He had no options.

Rooney having to come deep to get on the ball, pea coming on as sub and having to do the same. Easily defended against. I can't see pea getting caught offside often if he stays. The option of mata, kaga and carrick playing more central is twitch inducing when you consider rvp and Rooney are infront of them.

As for nani. I can't see him developing. He's not a central player or a wing back.
You are right - it is incredibly simple as a method and the players have responded well to the direction. They are playing with confidence and pace, with each player knowing that they have a 2-second window to shift the ball and move. Over the past few seasons both Valencia and Young have been shown up as wingers, being far to predictable and one-dimensional. LvG is certainly getting the best out of them so far. Renaissance indeed.

Unread 03-08-2014, 06:36 PM
The Return of JC

credit is due to the players too for adapting so quickly.

The vibe from lvg seems that everyone has got their head down, worked hard and been open minded to his approach.

as opposed to being 'disrespectful' to moyes last season. . prime example of why the manager is ALWAYS responsible for the team. people blaming the players last year to defend moyes :shakehead: .

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Crumps

So many of them look like completely different players. Bar Bebe every player on our books have only ever been professional footballers with high levels of technical ability, mostly at pretty serious clubs and in comes Ginger Fail@#%&! with his Bricklayer to False 9 workout plan and runs the short game out of them. £#%&! tactics, towards the end Fergie got away with not being the most up to date tactically by trusting the players he had on the pitch and that he could inspire them to success. £#%&!ing Moyes.

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM
barrington avenue

Quote:
So many of them look like completely different players. Bar Bebe every player on our books have only ever been a professional footballers with high levels of technical ability, mostly at pretty serious clubs and in comes Ginger Fail@#%&! with his Bricklayer to False 9 workout plan and runs the short game out of them. £#%&! tactics, towards the end Fergie got away with not being the most up to date tactically by trusting the players he had on the pitch and that he could inspire them to success. £#%&!ing Moyes.
it really is hard to fathom how utterly inept Moyes was...i honestly dont think he could have done any worse ,and as you point out all these players that Moyes was very open in saying were shit can in fact kick a ball and even pass to another United shirt!.it must have been as soul destroying for them serving that shit up as it was for us watching it..

i reckon ive seen more complete passes in 2 games than in all of last season

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:36 PM
£#%&! KFC

not having Cleverley, he's not good enough.....needs to be moved on as do Nani and don't think Valencia has shown that much of an improvement

genuinely staggered by the change in Young but he would need to do it week in week out for the first few months of the season and would be very surprised at that, but has defo adapted to the new role far better than anyone thought he would lets face it he was finished at United after last season

Welbz has been good and despite his great goal last night still pretty certain Hernandez will be sold

am hearing LVG is not at all convinced by Rafael, no real shock there and he really needs to step up this season

Unread 03-08-2014, 07:52 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
in comes Ginger Fail@#%&! with his Bricklayer to False 9 workout plan and runs the short game out of them. £#%&!ing Moyes.
YHGR for that one.

Unread 03-08-2014, 08:15 PM
wonky no

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
not having Cleverley, he's not good enough.....needs to be moved on as do Nani and don't think Valencia has shown that much of an improvement

genuinely staggered by the change in Young but he would need to do it week in week out for the first few months of the season and would be very surprised at that, but has defo adapted to the new role far better than anyone thought he would lets face it he was finished at United after last season

Welbz has been good and despite his great goal last night still pretty certain Hernandez will be sold

am hearing LVG is not at all convinced by Rafael, no real shock there and he really needs to step up this season
Any news on welbecks injury? Might have a knock effect with pea staying.

Unread 03-08-2014, 10:15 PM
WarwickRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

We'll still buy, though. LvG is clearly not overly confident in Blackett and Keane. He won't allow us to take a risk there.
I don't think he lacks confidence in them at all, but realises that they are still developing. He suggested that they are not experienced enough to play many games this season, and rightly so. I am confident that we will sign another CB before the end of the month.

I like the fact that LvG has singled out both of these, and Amos, and pointed out the errors that they have made. Makes such a change from blindly backing your players no matter how they have played.

Unread 03-08-2014, 10:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickRoad
I don't think he lacks confidence in them at all, but realises that they are still developing. He suggested that they are not experienced enough to play many games this season, and rightly so. I am confident that we will sign another CB before the end of the month.

I like the fact that LvG has singled out both of these, and Amos, and pointed out the errors that they have made. Makes such a change from blindly backing your players no matter how they have played.
This comes two weeks after he downplayed the importance of experience and spoke about dropping Seedorf in at Ajax at 16

But I meant he's not confident in them at this moment. He may well have plans for them, but he's on record saying he wants defenders.

The "maybe we don't need any more players" line the other day was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Unread 04-08-2014, 07:36 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickRoad
Fletcher has been a revelation on this tour so far. And to think that we still have Carrick to come back. It pains me to say it, but Young has been decent as well. I have also been impressed by Jones, Evans, Keane and Blackett.

For my money, Cleverley and Valencia have a role to do this season and should stay. Fellaini, Anderson and Nani are surplus to requirements and should be shipped out. I agree that an experienced CB should be a priority, but the squad as it stands and playing the way they have been so far should be more than capable of getting us back where we belong.
Looked well out of his depth against Roma, but has already improved markedly. A good sign.

Unread 05-08-2014, 03:12 AM
Crumps

The resurrection of Fletch. would love to see him have 3 or 4 solid years from him. He deserves to be playing in finals and winning.
Closed Thread