United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 21-08-2023, 08:55 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
100% this. World class players don’t turn in bafflingly bad performances regularly during their peak years.
Whilst I don’t think Rashford is “world class” - Rooney used to put in some abysmal performances out of nowhere.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:00 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Whilst I don’t think Rashford is “world class” - Rooney used to put in some abysmal performances out of nowhere.
Haaland is world class and has put in two shit performances to start the season.

Rashford has been fantastic - on the left. Now he's having to play in the centre where he's not as effective and he's not getting any service.

I think its daft to mark him down while everyone is busy being shit.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:04 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
Haaland is world class and has put in two shit performances to start the season.
Scored a brace in the first game didn’t he?

Not sure how many players in world football are better than Rashford was on the left last season. Mbappe the only one that comes to mind. Maybe Vini Jr but he’s very inconsistent himself.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:06 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Rooney never played a game where it looked like he wasn't arsed though.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:11 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Not regularly though. Rashford’s are far too frequent.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:16 AM
Stickman

Quote:

Rashford has been fantastic - on the left. Now he's having to play in the centre where he's not as effective and he's not getting any service.

I think its daft to mark him down while everyone is busy being shit.
I rate Rashford fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
Rooney never played a game where it looked like he wasn't arsed though.
Thats revisionism - yes he did

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:21 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
Scored a brace in the first game didn’t he?

Not sure how many players in world football are better than Rashford was on the left last season. Mbappe the only one that comes to mind. Maybe Vini Jr but he’s very inconsistent himself.
Yeah, but not looked anything like he did last season, especially against Newcastle. It's more a point that 'world class' players do drop stinkers.

Rashford has been terrible tbf, but in a team that's playing terrible. If he was in his natural position, I'd be more worried.

The only player that seems to go through awful spells and looks terrible, but still scores - is Salah imo.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Coracao

Every player has the odd stinker. It is playing well below your top level for sustained periods of time that are the issue. The outlier for the past few years have been when Rashford has been at the top of his game , e.g. the couple of months after the World Cup.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:30 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Yeah, but not looked anything like he did last season, especially against Newcastle. It's more a point that 'world class' players do drop stinkers.

Rashford has been terrible tbf, but in a team that's playing terrible. If he was in his natural position, I'd be more worried.

The only player that seems to go through awful spells and looks terrible, but still scores - is Salah imo.
Salah is a good example. Liverpool fans have an odd relationship with him. A lot of them get really frustated with him because he’ll just go missing out of the blue. Bossing it one moment and then invisible and hides the next. He did it at Chelsea last week. Really dangerous for the first half hour and then he was done. Absolutely nothing after that.

But he scores 30 goals a season. Every season. So the ends justify the means. If Rashford is going to bang in another 30, I don’t think anyone will have any complaints. Problem is, he’s done it once. He needs to prove it’s not a one off.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:43 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger View Post
Salah is a good example. Liverpool fans have an odd relationship with him. A lot of them get really frustated with him because he’ll just go missing out of the blue. Bossing it one moment and then invisible and hides the next. He did it at Chelsea last week. Really dangerous for the first half hour and then he was done. Absolutely nothing after that.

But he scores 30 goals a season. Every season. So the ends justify the means. If Rashford is going to bang in another 30, I don’t think anyone will have any complaints. Problem is, he’s done it once. He needs to prove it’s not a one off.
True. Salah has looked done since he got his bumper contract but he still scores like a machine. Genuinely can't wait til he £#%&!s off. They'll have a gaping Ronaldo shaped hole staring back at them.

With Rashford though, he needs Hojlund to be fit because then the forward line will have some shape and not be a patchwork. At least we know there's a class player there though.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:48 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
True. Salah has looked done since he got his bumper contract but he still scores like a machine. Genuinely can't wait til he £#%&!s off. They'll have a gaping Ronaldo shaped hole staring back at them.

With Rashford though, he needs Hojlund to be fit because then the forward line will have some shape and not be a patchwork. At least we know there's a class player there though.
I think Hojlund is going to make a big difference in terms of his quality, but exactly what you’ve said there: some shape, an actual target man. We had a literal horse up front last season and there were still times when we benefitted from that set up.

As frustrating and £#%&!ing annoying as rashford can be, I’m not overly concerned.

Unread 21-08-2023, 09:49 AM
jem

haaland played like a donkey in his last game. rashford showed some lovely touches and was unlucky not to score and assist.

some people just want 25 new players.

Unread 21-08-2023, 10:04 AM
Stickman

Quote:

U wot m8?

Unread 21-08-2023, 10:05 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
U wot m8?
I know it's paradoxical.

Listen to Liverpool fans - he's uninterested, lazy, shit for 75 minutes but he scores twice.

Unread 03-09-2023, 07:59 PM
larry

it won't be talked about but pulling out of that challenge was disgraceful and he does this kind of shit too often

Unread 03-09-2023, 08:04 PM
dunk

We’d be fuming if he went in for it, we lost 2-1 and he was out for 8 weeks though

Unread 03-09-2023, 08:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
it won't be talked about but pulling out of that challenge was disgraceful and he does this kind of shit too often
I think it has been noticed tbh.

Unread 03-09-2023, 08:07 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
Proper %@#$&!s statement.

But you know that.

Unread 03-09-2023, 08:09 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
We’d be fuming if he went in for it, we lost 2-1 and he was out for 8 weeks though
You can’t be pulling out of 50 50’s
It might not have affected the result but it’s symbolic of why we are such a soft touch away from home
Too many weak as £#%&! players in this team particularly important players like Rashford and Bruno

Allowed himself to get rag dolled by Saka in the first half to lose the ball when he had comfortable possession of the ball
So weak and feeble

Unread 03-09-2023, 08:21 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
i would never be fuming if he'd tried to win a ball and got injured