United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 04-09-2023, 05:59 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Don't know why we aren't using the same tech as Serie A.
What do they use?

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:01 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Don't know why we aren't using the same tech as Serie A.
Hawk eye? I’ve been saying for years that’s what should be introduced to football. You can’t do VAR and then have referees in a room somewhere deliberate over it all. If you’re going to use technology, go the whole way, no half measures.

It’d probably save loads of time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
What do they use?
Hawk eye - what they use in tennis.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:05 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Is it not Hawk Eye who handle VAR out there?

https://www.tvbeurope.com/live-produ...l-with-serie-a

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:11 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Hawk eye? I’ve been saying for years that’s what should be introduced to football. You can’t do VAR and then have referees in a room somewhere deliberate over it all. If you’re going to use technology, go the whole way, no half measures.

It’d probably save loads of time too.

Hawk eye - what they use in tennis.
I just assumed it wasn’t available, for whatever reason, but if it is, why the hell are they not using it?

Drawing lines on an image seems ridiculously archaic when you consider tennis and cricket have technology that can quickly and effectively simulate what’s happening.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:14 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Is it not Hawk Eye who handle VAR out there?

https://www.tvbeurope.com/live-produ...l-with-serie-a
SAOT is a technology like VAR.

Hawkeye provide SAOT and VAR. They have their own proprietary solutions.

It's a bit like hover made their company name synonymous with vacuuming. I think anyway.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:15 PM
larry

Quote:
I just assumed it wasn’t available, for whatever reason, but if it is, why the hell are they not using it?
so they can draw the lines wherever they want and deprive us of joy. that would have been our best winner in years ffs.

hawkeye / SOAT calls that on-side nqat (because it was onside)

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:19 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
SAOT is a technology, like VAR.

Hawkeye provide SAOT and VAR.

It's a bit like hover made their company name synonymous with vacuuming. I think anyway.
Ah ok, for years I thought hawk eye was the tech due to tennis just calling it hawk eye.

It really should be implemented across Europe if they’re going to insist on VAR. You either take out the risk of human error altogether or you scrap VAR and go back to how it used to be (the good old days). When VAR was first brought in I assumed it was going to be purely tech, not some guy drawing lines on a computer in a stuffy little room while squinting at a screen.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:25 PM
Dr Stranger

It underlines what a shit show VAR is that they can’t even get the matter of fact stuff correct.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:26 PM
larry

are the refs tasked with drawling the lines? retired granddads some with learning difficulties who've never seen a computer before.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:30 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
are the refs tasked with drawling the lines? retired granddads some with learning difficulties who've never seen a computer before.

Stevie Wonder looks at the screen while Michael J Fox does the drawing.

Unread 04-09-2023, 06:38 PM
Coracao

Quote:
What do they use?
Semi Autonomous Offside Technology.

Why would a semi-automated system cut down human error?

When a semi-automated system is used, there is no need to draw or activate lines.

Instead, a virtual offside line is generated automatically in addition to accurately identifying skeleton points — including head, toes, upper arm and knees — on multiple players simultaneously. Ball-tracking highlights where the ball is when it is kicked and all of this is communicated to the VAR official via a real-time alert system using artificial intelligence.

Although the technology is doing the hard work, the VAR is still required to validate the proposed decision and then inform the on-field referee. That is why it is known as ‘semi-automated’. But, unlike Brooks’ or Mason’s recent Premier League mistakes, officials don’t need to intervene by drawing or activating lines on clips and stills of incidents.

As a result, human error should be reduced.

https://theathletic.com/4191568/2023...mated-offside/

Does it all in about half a second apparently

Unread 04-09-2023, 07:37 PM
Lok

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced they've £#%&!ed up the offside.

I believe the tech they're using is fundamentally flawed. They zoom in on the screen to pinpoint the part of the body of both attacker and defender that is closest to the goal. Lines are automatically drawn from those marks that eradicate the perspective issue and show which of the points they identified was closest to the goal.

The issue is that the picture they are using to pinpoint the furthest body part is nearly always from the wrong perspective. So it's possible for them to pick the wrong place. This almost certainly happened yesterday.

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Of course

Seeing as we can all agree it’s a fact because the ‘computer wizardry’ has decided it’s offside (yes, that IS what they said) I look forward to there being absolutely no changes to how this is operated in years to come.

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:49 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Of course

https://x.com/thefergusonway/status/...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ

https://x.com/skysportspl/status/169...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ

Seeing as we can all agree it’s a fact because the ‘computer wizardry’ has decided it’s offside (yes, that IS what they said) I look forward to there being absolutely no changes to how this is operated in years to come.
"It doesn't matter what angle it is...the computer technology and wizardry calibrates it for those angles." What does that even mean? Calibrates what? Calibration is something that is done to the measuring instrument. How does that explain the image being presented not being in line with the players or the lines not being drawn correctly. They haven't the slightest notion of the subject yet speak about it with absolute certainty.

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:51 PM
larry

dermot is one of those with learning difficulties i mentioned earlier, he has no idea how it works

Unread 04-09-2023, 08:56 PM
Finport Red

I think being stunned is the very least that should happen to Dermot Gallagher, however, i won’t feel that this particular weekend’s refereeing and var catastrophe has reached a satisfactory conclusion until Keith Hackett has lied about it.

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:07 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
"It doesn't matter what angle it is...the computer technology and wizardry calibrates it for those angles." What does that even mean? Calibrates what? Calibration is something that is done to the measuring instrument. How does that explain the image being presented not being in line with the players or the lines not being drawn correctly. They haven't the slightest notion of the subject yet speak about it with absolute certainty.
Exactly. They haven’t the foggiest idea.

Computer wizardry. Computer sorted it. Let’s leave it there.

It’s their attitude too. The Pearl clutching when it’s something that benefits us compared to the matter of fact nature when the roles are reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced they've £#%&!ed up the offside.

I believe the tech they're using is fundamentally flawed. They zoom in on the screen to pinpoint the part of the body of both attacker and defender that is closest to the goal. Lines are automatically drawn from those marks that eradicate the perspective issue and show which of the points they identified was closest to the goal.

The issue is that the picture they are using to pinpoint the furthest body part is nearly always from the wrong perspective. So it's possible for them to pick the wrong place. This almost certainly happened yesterday.
I don’t understand why they use the angle they do. It’s not in line. They have that angle too. We’ve seen it. If you watch a 100m dash, the camera is across the finish line. They don’t determine who won solely by a camera behind them.

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:09 PM
NedKelly

“Computer wizardry”

Half a step away from “it’s like magic”

Unread 04-09-2023, 09:19 PM
Dr Stranger

You’ll also be STUNNED to hear that former Liverpool defender Steven Warnock doesn’t think this is a penalty.