United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Lingers did more in his 25 mins than. Perrera in 65. Fact
Well first of all I doubt you could set the bar any lower, but what exactly did he do?

Different games need different things; this game needed someone who could play a key ball into the front three because they weren’t creating for each other. In what universe is that player Lingard?

Unread 02-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Macca1990

Been thinking about this a bit recently and I don't know any reason why Ole's being given anymore time.

Love Ole always will but just because we're rebuilding doesnt mean standards should be ripped up and forgotten about, 10th in the league never in my life did I think people would sit around thinking that after nearly a third of a season being behind Brighton, Palace (have a game in hand on us ), Sheff Utd and Bournemouth is ok in any way shape or form, we are further behind than we ever have been in terms of the title and taking massive steps AWAY from the Champions League.

No one seems to have told anyone at United that rebuilding doesn't mean erasing all expectations, that you can infact remain somewhat competitive whilst overhauling a squad, Ole staying with these kind of results and performances is more indicitive of the problem than anything else.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca1990
Been thinking about this a bit recently and I don't know any reason why Ole's being given anymore time.

Love Ole always will but just because we're rebuilding doesnt mean standards should be ripped up and forgotten about, 10th in the league never in my life did I think people would sit around thinking that after nearly a third of a season being behind Brighton, Palace (have a game in hand on us ), Sheff Utd and Bournemouth is ok in any way shape or form, we are further behind than we ever have been in terms of the title and taking massive steps AWAY from the Champions League.

No one seems to have told anyone at United that rebuilding doesn't mean erasing all expectations, that you can infact remain somewhat competitive whilst overhauling a squad, Ole staying with these kind of results and performances is more indicitive of the problem than anything else.

Because we’re completely changing direction and going somewhere else. That doesn’t involve simply doing things differently from minute one, it involves unwinding the mistakes of the past too which takes time. Obviously we’re miles away in terms of points, but in terms of what the team needs to compete at the top again we’re not that far off.

If we were getting overrun in midfield and the defence looked an utter shambles, conceding loads of chances and goals per game, I’d say the prognosis was dire. In that scenario we’d probably need seven or eight players; but I don’t think we do now. A combination of the players he’s bought doing fairly well, and an improvement in our homegrown players over the last month and I think two or three top quality additions and you’re looking at a completely different outfit. And I mean completely different.

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Because we’re completely changing direction and going somewhere else. That doesn’t involve simply doing things differently from minute one, it involves unwinding the mistakes of the past too which takes time. Obviously we’re miles away in terms of points, but in terms of what the team needs to compete at the top again we’re not that far off.

If we were getting overrun in midfield and the defence looked an utter shambles, conceding loads of chances and goals per game, I’d say the prognosis was dire. In that scenario we’d probably need seven or eight players; but I don’t think we do now. A combination of the players he’s bought doing fairly well, and an improvement in our homegrown players over the last month and I think two or three top quality additions and you’re looking at a completely different outfit. And I mean completely different.
Utter delusion

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
Utter delusion
Maybe, but that’s how i see it. Do you have any solutions outside of sacking Ole for some unknown replacement and having Carrick warm up?

Unread 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca1990

If this continues into Christmas with us in the bottom half of the table then he will go maybe by his own hand as the pressure will get too much
He’s got to hope we string 2 or 3 wins together in the league to get us back into the top 6 and take some of the pressure off

If he lasts until the end of the season then we’ll have to review then if he’s the right man to take us forward
Based off what I’ve seen I can’t see any style or pattern play being implemented into this side
We press sometimes but even then the defence stays deep so it’s easy to bypass our press
Just looks a badly coached team

Let’s take emotion out of it
We’ve appointed the manager of Molde with the hope he can rebuild the club and take us back to the top of English and European football
It’s kinda nuts

Unread 02-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
If this continues into Christmas with us in the bottom half of the table then he will go maybe by his own hand as the pressure will get too much
He’s got to hope we string 2 or 3 wins together in the league to get us back into the top 6 and take some of the pressure off

If he lasts until the end of the season then we’ll have to review then if he’s the right man to take us forward
Based off what I’ve seen I can’t see any style or pattern play being implemented into this side
We press sometimes but even then the defence stays deep so it’s easy to bypass our press
Just looks a badly coached team

Let’s take emotion out of it
We’ve appointed the manager of Molde with the hope he can rebuild the club and take us back to the top of English and European football
It’s kinda nuts
That’s my main issue. Whoever’s in charge, no matter the players, I want to see within a few months some sort of semblance of a style of play that would work with better players. Of all the post Fergie management literally only Van Gaals style was identifiable pretty early on. Moyes, Mourinhos and Oles have all looked to be “put out the best team and hope our superior quality will tell” trouble is the chances of winning that way are so slim now with our current squad.

Love Ole (sick of saying it I mean we all do) but I feel like having him rebuild the squad will end up a futile exercise as he doesn’t send out teams that look like they train together half the time anyway.

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:11 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
That’s my main issue. Whoever’s in charge, no matter the players, I want to see within a few months some sort of semblance of a style of play that would work with better players. Of all the post Fergie management literally only Van Gaals style was identifiable pretty early on. Moyes, Mourinhos and Oles have all looked to be “put out the best team and hope our superior quality will tell” trouble is the chances of winning that way are so slim now with our current squad.

Love Ole (sick of saying it I mean we all do) but I feel like having him rebuild the squad will end up a futile exercise as he doesn’t send out teams that look like they train together half the time anyway.
Paging marlo to the thread.......

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Paging marlo to the thread.......
I don’t get the sense Marlo dislikes Ole. He just appraises United independent of emotion.

Yeah he sometimes goes overboard but then he likes to make big calls doesn’t he.

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:17 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I don’t get the sense Marlo dislikes Ole. He just appraises United independent of emotion.

Yeah he sometimes goes overboard but then he likes to make big calls doesn’t he.
Marlo is a complete & utter ladies front bottom.

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:59 AM
Sparky***

13 goals in 11 games, 4 of which came in one game, does not reflect well on our coaching.

It's a sad state of affairs when scoring 2 goals in a game is something of a rarity for Manchester United.

I see effort from the players, there just seems to be very little proof of any sort of plan or quality. I don't think the players know how they're going to attack teams or put them under pressure. I see players shooting from outside the box and nobody follows the shot in. I see players crossing the ball to nobody.

Sometimes we press, sometimes we don't. Our forwards press the ball but they aren't backed up by our midfield or defence which pretty much renders it pointless. Everyone is on a different wavelength and at they all look like they met for the first time on the team bus on the way to the ground.

As Ziggy said, if you take a step back and look at the situation with a critical eye, what we've done here is pretty £#%&!ing nuts.

Unread 03-11-2019, 01:49 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
13 goals in 11 games, 4 of which came in one game, does not reflect well on our coaching.

It's a sad state of affairs when scoring 2 goals in a game is something of a rarity for Manchester United.

I see effort from the players, there just seems to be very little proof of any sort of plan or quality. I don't think the players know how they're going to attack teams or put them under pressure. I see players shooting from outside the box and nobody follows the shot in. I see players crossing the ball to nobody.

Sometimes we press, sometimes we don't. Our forwards press the ball but they aren't backed up by our midfield or defence which pretty much renders it pointless. Everyone is on a different wavelength and at they all look like they met for the first time on the team bus on the way to the ground.

As Ziggy said, if you take a step back and look at the situation with a critical eye, what we've done here is pretty £#%&!ing nuts.
But everything you just described could be put down to too many players simply not being good enough, the way they weren’t good enough under either Mourinho or Van Gaal either. Let the guy ship out the ones who can’t follow instruction or aren’t able to execute game plans, then judge him. Any earlier just isn’t in Manchester United’s best interests.

Hire a new guy and watch all the shit @#%&!s get a clean slate.

Unread 03-11-2019, 02:05 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
But everything you just described could be put down to too many players simply not being good enough, the way they weren’t good enough under either Mourinho or Van Gaal either. Let the guy ship out the ones who can’t follow instruction or aren’t able to execute game plans, then judge him. Any earlier just isn’t in Manchester United’s best interests.

Hire a new guy and watch all the shit @#%&!s get a clean slate.
It’s nothing to do with the players not being good enough
If you could see what we are trying to do and that it was clear style of play but the players can’t execute it well enough then you can completely look at the players

That’s not the case here
Only under LvG have I seen a team that looked coached but we didn’t have the players to execute that style of football

I’m not saying the players are good enough because a lot of them aren’t but their quality isn’t a reason for a team to have no identity after a coach has been in place for 9 months

Unread 03-11-2019, 02:15 AM
utd99

Quote:
It’s nothing to do with the players not being good enough
If you could see what we are trying to do and that it was clear style of play but the players can’t execute it well enough then you can completely look at the players

That’s not the case here
Only under LvG have I seen a team that looked coached but we didn’t have the players to execute that style of football

I’m not saying the players are good enough because a lot of them aren’t but their quality isn’t a reason for a team to have no identity after a coach has been in place for 9 months
Mate you can’t say it’s nothing to do with the players not being good enough, then say many of them are not good enough in the same post.

You realise of course that players ball watching, misplacing passes, being out of position defensively and making horrendous decisions looks EXACTLY like a team with no plan, right? Are you suggesting Solskjaer is instructing them to do these things, or that it’s happening because he’s not giving them any instructions? Simply not true. Did we have a plan against Chelsea? Liverpool?

Unread 03-11-2019, 02:20 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Mate you can’t say it’s nothing to do with the players not being good enough, then say many of them are not good enough in the same post.

You realise of course that players ball watching, misplacing passes, being out of position defensively and making horrendous decisions looks EXACTLY like a team with no plan, right? Are you suggesting Solskjaer is instructing them to do these things, or that it’s happening because he’s not giving them any instructions? Simply not true. Did we have a plan against Chelsea? Liverpool?
You didn’t really read or understand what I said

I’m not taking about how they are executing things on the pitch
I’m talking about a style and structure to how we play

Players did loads of things wrong during the LvG era but you could also tell what the style of play was
You could always tell how LvG wanted us to play even if it very rarely ever happened

I have no idea what sort of football Ole wants
Sometimes we play really defensive and drop deep and sometimes we try to press and look to dominate the game
I look at the players and I don’t think they are really sure what they are meant to do

Unread 03-11-2019, 02:24 AM
Casanova85

A rollercoaster of a manager. Midtable at best.

Unread 03-11-2019, 02:26 AM
utd99

Quote:
You didn’t really read or understand what I said

I’m not taking about how they are executing things on the pitch
I’m talking about a style and structure to how we play

Players did loads of things wrong during the LvG era but you could also tell what the style of play was
You could always tell how LvG wanted us to play even if it very rarely ever happened

I have no idea what sort of football Ole wants
Sometimes we play really defensive and drop deep and sometimes we try to press and look to dominate the game
I look at the players and I don’t think they are really sure what they are meant to do
I did read it. I just think it’s wrong. Did you see any plan or style in the first 15 minutes, or did he tell them to just stop after a quarter of an hour?

Answer the question about whether we had a plan against Chelsea, Liverpool or Norwich or did we just get lucky those days?

Again, players looking like they don’t know what to do doesn’t necessarily mean it’s because they’re not being told what to do. No game plan in the world can account for all the improvisation that goes on on a football pitch. He can’t make every damn decision for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casanova85
A rollercoaster of a manager. Midtable at best.
Rollercoaster of a squad. We knew this before Ole even came on board; what’s changed?

Unread 03-11-2019, 02:56 AM
Casanova85

Quote:
Rollercoaster of a squad. We knew this before Ole even came on board; what’s changed?
Looks like we need those 3 signings in Jan, my friend.

Unread 03-11-2019, 05:51 AM
Part 36 Offer

Some poor decisions today but still trust in Big Ole

Unread 03-11-2019, 06:07 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Been saying this all season. Resembles a school yard game. Pick 11 players. Stick the big kid in defence. The fast kid up front. Give the ball to the better players and hope it works out.
Closed Thread