United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM
utd99

We should let them close the Dunk deal then walk away. Good luck sausage fingers; let us know how the new foyer portrait comes out. Greedy @#%&!.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Red Duck

He could just put in a transfer request and forgo his loyalty bonus when leaving, and we bung him a few extra mil signing on fee. But apparently noooooooooo no footballer can give up a bit of his wedge to formally request a transfer. Got to snide it through the agents. Grabbing @#%&!s the lot of them

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
He's a myth.

What's he done?

Decent world cup. So did lingard.

Since looked dodgy for England and Leicester.

Good season for Hull (Big Whoop) and then a good season for Leicester.

Its hardly stellar stuff.

Suddenly it's a joke to suggest he might not be that much better than a United defender with 8 years experience at the club and numerous medals.
Smalling can't play football you crank.

"Oh but he's good at other stuff".

Playing football is kind of the point.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Sparky***

if we were getting him for 50 million I don't think anyone on here would be making as much fuss

90 million is just absolutely £#%&!ing crazy

but it was always going to go this way after liverpool paid 75 million for Van Dijk. The top end sets the market rate and unfortunately now full backs go for 50 million as a £#%&!ing jumping off point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Let's not talk about Kompany steaming in and heading in the city winner which effectively won them the league back in 2012.

Which effeminate voiced, vegan, beta ponce was marking him? you guessed it. Mike Smalling.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

He's a good defender. So is Maguire.

I said hes not good at passing, not 'playing football'. The other stuff is called defending and he's better at that than people give him credit for.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM
AK14

Quote:

I said hes not good at passing, not 'playing football'. The other stuff is called defending and he's better at that than people give him credit for.
Meh, he isn’t really though is he..

He often gets found out and unless he can man handle the player he’s marking he constantly loses them on corners

His lack of distribution skills means it puts more pressure on the midfield to come deep and make things happen.

Maguire is twice the player Chris Smalling is.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Meh, he isn’t really though is he..

He often gets found out and unless he can man handle the player he’s marking he constantly loses them on corners

His lack of distribution skills means it puts more pressure on the midfield to come deep and make things happen.

Maguire is twice the player Chris Smalling is.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:37 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Passing is kind of important though. It's not like it's a minor attribute that's a bonus if a professional footballer has it in his repertoire.

If Smalling is so good at defending why is he hanging onto opposition players like a £#%&!ing limpet at every corner?

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
if we were getting him for 50 million I don't think anyone on here would be making as much fuss

90 million is just absolutely £#%&!ing crazy

but it was always going to go this way after liverpool paid 75 million for Van Dijk. The top end sets the market rate and unfortunately now full backs go for 50 million as a £#%&!ing jumping off point.

Let's not talk about Kompany steaming in and heading in the city winner which effectively won them the league back in 2012.

Which effeminate voiced, vegan, beta ponce was marking him? you guessed it. Mike Smalling.
I dont think pointing out a slack bit of marking from 8 years ago brings much to the conversation.

He could make one mistake a season and it would look bad if you listed them all.

I'm still waiting on the list things that Maguire does better than Smalling.

So far we've got passing...

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:40 PM
utd99

Quote:

Smalling’s actually not a bad one on one defender, especially facing our own goal vs a runner. Unfortunately he’s pretty poor at mostly everything else.

Maguire isn’t worth 80 million, no one is disputing that. However we need a good centre back who can marshal a defence, win balls in the air, play out effectively from the back and set the standard of commitment for the rest of the team. I think Maguire can do that.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Smalling’s actually not a bad one on one defender, especially facing our own goal vs a runner. Unfortunately he’s pretty poor at mostly everything else.

Maguire isn’t worth 80 million, no one is disputing that. However we need a good centre back who can marshal a defence, win balls in the air, play out effectively from the back and set the standard of commitment for the rest of the team. I think Maguire can do that.
Yep. He's £#%&!ing miles ahead of Smalling in nearly every aspect.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Passing is kind of important though. It's not like it's a minor attribute that's a bonus if a professional footballer has it in his repertoire.

If Smalling is so good at defending why is he hanging onto opposition players like a £#%&!ing limpet at every corner?
Its It's important, sure. Defending is more important. Or we should just play Mata at centre half.

Because he's marking. Most defenders do that on corners.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Its It's important, sure. Defending is more important. Or we should just play Mata at centre half.

The £#%&!er's going to be giving about 3 penalties a game away with VAR next season though. Can't wait

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

OK Smalling is just a camp Vidic and the centre backs are fiiineeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
The £#%&!er's going to be giving about 3 penalties a game away with VAR next season though. Can't wait
All defenders do it. All defenders defend by attaching themselves to the opposition player.

That's a sign of good defending.

Quote:
I dont think pointing out a slack bit of marking from 8 years ago brings much to the conversation.

He could make one mistake a season and it would look bad if you listed them all.

Does Maguire sound like Danny LaRue on helium?

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yep. He's £#%&!ing miles ahead of Smalling in nearly every aspect.
List them, because I don't agree.

He's slower. His positional sense is no better. He's about the same in the air. Probably slightly less error prone.

I like his attitude. Seems like a good pro.

That's about it.

And I dont want a bit better. I want miles better. I want world class for a world record fee. Like dybala is CLEARLY better than Lingard.

Have you people seriously watched this guy? How many times do you watch him for England or Leicester and think 'wow. What a player'.

I watch him and think 'yeah, he's alright this guy'

That's it.

I'm clearly beating a dead horse here because apparently not thinking some Leicester defender is miles better than what we have is laughable, so I give up.

If he comes, I'll be fully behind him and hopeful he'll grow into the role, but he'll need to do better than he has done so far in his career.

Quote:

OK Smalling is just a camp Vidic and the centre backs are fiiineeeeee

All defenders do it. All defenders defend by attaching themselves to the opposition player.

That's a sign of good defending.

Does Maguire sound like Danny LaRue on helium?
Will people stop with the £#%&!ing strawman arguments?

At no point have I suggested our defence is fine. We're making direct comparisons with what we have and what we apparently aspire to this summer.

And yes, lots of defenders do that. Look at the Italians ffs. They're the worst for it. Are we pretending that getting handsy at corners isn't most defenders M.O.

Smalling needs to be more subtle, but I'd hardly call Maguire a rolls royce either.

I'll give you the voice.

Imagine Maguire's head and Smalling's voice

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:51 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We should let them close the Dunk deal then walk away. Good luck sausage fingers; let us know how the new foyer portrait comes out. Greedy @#%&!.
I'd take that.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:52 PM
browser

Was just having a read of the Van Dijk thread and what people were saying when he signed for the scousers. By God Saffers was £#%&!ing thick.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=73

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Was just having a read of the Van Dijk thread and what people were saying when he signed for the scousers. By God Saffers was £#%&!ing thick.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=73
Maguire has never been as good as VVD.

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:54 PM
browser

Quote:
Maguire has never been as good as VVD.
I agree

Unread 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Ethers

Quote:

I £#%&!ing wish he only made one mistake a season.
Closed Thread