United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-05-2010, 04:55 PM
pcp

Default Re: Totti - wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I don't think anyone would doubt his talent.It's his attitude, consistency and ability to go missing when it counts which lets him down.

He's very talented, of course he is.
It's very rare that top players do it consistently tho, that's what made ronaldo's 43 goal season and messi these 2 past years so amazing. Anybody that watched zidane consistently would see that he went missing in over half the games he played in whilst still being regarded as the best player in the world, personally i'd have had keano ahead of him any day of the week.

Unread 06-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcp
Anybody that watched zidane consistently would see that he went missing in over half the games he played in whilst still being regarded as the best player in the world
Not a popular opinion, but I agree. I think because his style was so elegant and easy on the eye, even when he didn't play well, it sort of looked like he played well, if you follow my possibly confused meaning.

Unread 06-05-2010, 05:28 PM
pcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Not a popular opinion, but I agree. I think because his style was so elegant and easy on the eye, even when he didn't play well, it sort of looked like he played well, if you follow my possibly confused meaning.
No i actually meant that there were far too many games where he didn't influence the flow of the game, I watched more of him at juve than i did at real admittedly but at juve zidane was the guile and davids was the graft, davids was also more influential overall but zidane got most of the plaudits because he'd do something special every 4th or 5th game.

Unread 06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
borsuk

zidane did have a lot of ordinary games but he was a real big game player. totti is the opposite in a way. not arsed, though. just love watching totti and respect him for staying with one club through thick and thin.

Unread 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Terry Silver

My opinion of Totti has been formed form seeing him in Europe and for Italy, and I've seldom been that impressed.

This, however, is class

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I don't think anyone would doubt his talent.It's his attitude, consistency and ability to go missing when it counts which lets him down.

He's very talented, of course he is.
You are aware that in the entire history of Italian league football, only five players have scored more goals than Francesco Totti? He's got more than Signori, Del Piero, Batistuta, Riva. In fact, Roberto Baggio is the only Italian player in the last 50 years to exceed Totti's tally in Serie A. He's been voted Italian Footballer of the Year on five different occasions.

It'd say it's extremely difficult to achieve that without consistency.

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
You are aware that in the entire history of Italian league football, only five players have scored more goals than Francesco Totti? He's got more than Signori, Del Piero, Batistuta, Riva. In fact, Roberto Baggio is the only Italian player in the last 50 years to exceed Totti's tally in Serie A. He's been voted Italian Footballer of the Year on five different occasions.

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:28 PM
S/Side.Red

The new Serenity scares me

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:40 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Totti - wtf?

Quote:
tbf, I've always wanted to know what it'd be like if Jamie Redknapp posted on this forum. Now I know

Unread 06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
tbf, I've always wanted to know what it'd be like if Jamie Redknapp posted on this forum. Now I know
Jamie gets a lot of stick, but when it comes down to it, he's a good lad, a good husband and a good father too. Sure he loves his clothes, his motors and his banter a bit too much for some; since when is that a crime though? I'm not saying he's going to be everyone's cup of tea as a pundit, but at the end of the day, you have to respect him.

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:09 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

He's won one Scudetto (in which Batistuta scored 20 goals) and two Coppa Italias at club level and has he ever performed against an English club or against any team of any calibre in Europe?Genuine question, it's not a dig.He's been utter shite on the occasions he's faced us.

I've watched Serie A since I was a lad and wouldn't put the guy on the same footballing planet as the likes of Del Piero, Gullit, Van Basten, Savicevic, Batistuta, Rijkaard, Maldini, Zidane et al who translated their Serie A form onto the bigger domestic stage.

Internationally, sent off at two tournaments and scored one goal (a penalty against Australia) when Italy won it on penalties.Again, tbf, he did make the 'team of the tournament' but I don't recall him being fantastic.

All, literally, my opinion.Literally.

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Jamie gets a lot of stick, but when it comes down to it, he's a good lad, a good husband and a good father too. Sure he loves his clothes, his motors and his banter a bit too much for some; since when is that a crime though? I'm not saying he's going to be everyone's cup of tea as a pundit, but at the end of the day, you have you respect him.

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Grimson

Quote:
And me.

There are so many layers of irony that his posts have begun to emit a low hum.

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:39 PM
The Watcher

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:41 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

Agreed. Great player.

Quote:
Love the new Seres tbh.

Unread 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
He's won one Scudetto (in which Batistuta scored 20 goals) and two Coppa Italias at club level and has he ever performed against an English club or against any team of any calibre in Europe?Genuine question, it's not a dig.He's been utter shite on the occasions he's faced us.

I've watched Serie A since I was a lad and wouldn't put the guy on the same footballing planet as the likes of Del Piero, Gullit, Van Basten, Savicevic, Batistuta, Rijkaard, Maldini, Zidane et al who translated their Serie A form onto the bigger domestic stage.
But putting it into context, those players were given a far better opportunity to translate their domestic success in continential competition. It's very difficult for Totti to regularly have a significant impact on the Champions League because he plays for a club that never really have the means to even challenge at that level. Batistuta, while at Roma, only scored twice at European level. Still, Totti’s record in Europe is decent, with 35 goals in 79 matches played.

Of course he's had plenty of good performances against top sides. Part of the reason he's so highly-rated in Spain is due to the fact that, during his peak years, he often played well against Spanish sides. He's scored a few goals against Barca and Real and I can remember him getting two at the Mestalla back when Valencia were a very good team. When Roma surprised Lyon a couple of years back in France, at a time when lots of people had them down as outsiders for the CL, Totti scored in the away match at the Stade Gerlande.

At International level, indiscipline has let him down at two major tournaments, but he also had an excellent Euro 2000 (voted MOM in the final despite Italy losing and regarded by many as their best player throughout the tournament) and Italy did win the World Cup with him in as a starter, albeit unfit in 2006, so he has had his positive moments too.

Unread 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM
magic_cantona

Thumbs up Re: Totti - wtf?

Quote:
But putting it into context, those players were given a far better opportunity to translate their domestic success in continential competition. It's very difficult for Totti to regularly have a significant impact on the Champions League because he plays for a club that never really have the means to even challenge at that level. Batistuta, while at Roma, only scored twice at European level. Still, Totti’s record in Europe is decent, with 35 goals in 79 matches played.

Of course he's had plenty of good performances against top sides. Part of the reason he's so highly-rated in Spain is due to the fact that, during his peak years, he often played well against Spanish sides. He's scored a few goals against Barca and Real and I can remember him getting two at the Mestalla back when Valencia were a very good team. When Roma surprised Lyon a couple of years back in France, at a time when lots of people had them down as outsiders for the CL, Totti scored in the away match at the Stade Gerlande.

At International level, indiscipline has let him down at two major tournaments, but he also an excellent Euro 2000 (voted MOM in the final despite Italy losing and regarded by many as their best player throughout the tournemtns) and Italy did win the World Cup with him in as a starter, albeit unfit in 2006, so he has had his positive moments too.
Tbh, he's a 'Zlatan' (for want of a better example) player.Some can see genius and some can see that although the genius is there, it's been wasted or at least it hasn't filled it's full potential.Like Matt le Tissier tbf (don't laugh).If he'd have moved to a top club, who knows?Maybe it's been a lack of ambition, maybe just unbelievable and an admirable loyalty.

I'll agree that he's got it, I always have.I just don't rate him as highly as some do.Although, I will admit, I've learned a bit more about him and his accomplishments from this thread.And yourself, of course. Fair do's.

Unread 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM
S/Side.Red

Fair enough

Quote:
Jamie gets a lot of stick, but when it comes down to it, he's a good lad, a good husband and a good father too. Sure he loves his clothes, his motors and his banter a bit too much for some; since when is that a crime though? I'm not saying he's going to be everyone's cup of tea as a pundit, but at the end of the day, you have to respect him.
Oh ffs

Unread 09-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Harfynn Teuport

2 goals and miss of the season from Totti today.

Unread 09-05-2010, 03:55 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harfynn Teuport
2 goals and miss of the season from Totti today.
over the bar from about 4 yards out.
Closed Thread