United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2008, 08:49 PM
borsuk

Default fergie's resting players

has cost us points this season? perhaps, but we're now getting to the business end of the season and we're three points off the lead with them to come to ot; we're in a good position in the cl; and we're looking good in the facup. we've got bugger all injuries and the whole squad looks fresh and strong. compare that to arsenal: niggles everywhere, players picking up injuries all the time and the side looking tired.

there's been a lot of criticism of fergie for not playing our best 11 (whatever it is) every match but i for one think he's managed the squad superbly this season. we're in a better position that we have been for years and in with a genuine chance of the treble. credit where it's due.

Unread 23-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Rossi the Red

Good post.

Unread 23-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Crumps

Good point. We had to play our best 11 most of last season and as a result we were running on empty come the final few weeks of the season. I suspect we will perform much better in the closing stages of this season.

Unread 23-02-2008, 08:58 PM
waynes ear's

Borsuk out

you havent slated anyone

sorry but bye

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:00 PM
dunk

And, In fairness, everytime he has fielded a weakened side, it has still been a side good enough to win that game, really. The fact the players selected didn't perform is out of his control.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:06 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Borsuk out

you havent slated anyone

sorry but bye

i don't do slating

i'll be off, then.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:10 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

i don't do slating

i'll be off, then.
im jesting mate, dont go, your post was mint

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Kim Jong-il

I'm just concerned there are more city/west ham performances to come. They seem to appear from no where. One of those in the CL would be most dissapointing.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:14 PM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
And, In fairness, everytime he has fielded a weakened side, it has still been a side good enough to win that game, really. The fact the players selected didn't perform is out of his control.
The one time I though his team selection was DEFINITELY suspect was West Ham away, where if I remember rightly he played Hargreaves and Fletcher together. It meant our midfield was incredibly limited creatively.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Coracao

IF we win the league then it will have proven to be correct.

Fletcher and Hargreaves away at west ham was a shocker.

If we don't win the league this season, we will have thrown it away.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:17 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

Well it's back in our hands now.

How will Arsenal react to Gallas's @#%&!ishness today?

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Well it's back in our hands now.

How will Arsenal react to Gallas's @#%&!ishness today?

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Good point. We had to play our best 11 most of last season and as a result we were running on empty come the final few weeks of the season.
But we won the league?

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:24 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafty Crank
But we won the league?

We stuttered over the finishing line though and came up hopelessly short in the San Siro.

I think that's what he meant.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

That's nearer the mark. Abject performances at West Ham, and against city at OT. Had we pulled our finger out in those, we'd be 3 clear now and looking mighty good. As it is, although it's in our hands, we can't afford to slip up again.

And like Kim, I feel those sort of performances just appear from nowhere. Unlike Kim, I hope that if we do have one it's in Europe, because I'd much rather have league title number 17 than European Cup number 3...

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
We stuttered over the finishing line though and came up hopelessly short in the San Siro.

I think that's what he meant.
Stuttered over the finishing line first. That's the only bit that counts, surely?

Europe? Meh*.

* I actually believe, for the first time since that aberration in Leverkusen, that we could win that this year as well.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Crumps

Quote:
But we won the league?

That we did although we failed to score a goal from open play after the Everton game resulting in a Semi final exit in Europe and a toothless performance in th FA Cup final. If we are in a similar position this season I expect us to do better as the players shouldn't be as £#%&!ed.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:32 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Stuttered over the finishing line first. That's the only bit that counts, surely?

Europe? Meh*.

* I actually believe, for the first time since that aberration in Leverkusen, that we could win that this year as well.

But we had a chance of the treble last season. In our last 5 games, we didn't score a goal from open play. Our only goal came at City via the penalty spot. We definitely finished the season on an empty tank.
This season, we have no excuses. We have the squad now and talk of the treble is a realistic target again.

Unread 23-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
has cost us points this season? perhaps, but we're now getting to the business end of the season and we're three points off the lead with them to come to ot; we're in a good position in the cl; and we're looking good in the facup. we've got bugger all injuries and the whole squad looks fresh and strong. compare that to arsenal: niggles everywhere, players picking up injuries all the time and the side looking tired.

there's been a lot of criticism of fergie for not playing our best 11 (whatever it is) every match but i for one think he's managed the squad superbly this season. we're in a better position that we have been for years and in with a genuine chance of the treble. credit where it's due.
pretty big point.

yes we finished on empty last season but injuries in key positions cost us just as dearly.

we have more options in mf this season but i still worry about the centre of defence. if rio or vidic miss a few matches we could struggle again. pique and wes don't fill me with confidence whenever they play there.

all tings considered tho, i think we have a cracking chance of a trophy or two.

Unread 23-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
But we had a chance of the treble last season. In our last 5 games, we didn't score a goal from open play. Our only goal came at City via the penalty spot. We definitely finished the season on an empty tank.
This season, we have no excuses. We have the squad now and talk of the treble is a realistic target again.
I don't think it's a matter of excuses, to win the treble everything has to go right 100% of the time. We could do it, granted, indeed even I'm beginning to think it's a possible, and I'm probably the biggest pessimist/doomlord I know.

I just think it's too much to ask. I'm not sure we'll ever see it again. Chelsea are still in with a chance of it too...
Closed Thread