jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger View Post
Maybe tatty listens to you.

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:06 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Almost some self realisation there. Many a truth said in jest.

Then maybe you should make it, instead of helping enable whatís happening. Maybe tatty listens to you.

I played my part in enabling it, as things have turned out. Iím pretty sure youíre smart enough to also come to your senses.

See, you can even see some of the right wing strategy. Did they teach fascist propaganda in public school Jem? I imagine they did.

Didnít realise thatís where fascism starts.
Apologies Jammy. Forgot you were an expert on inter-war European politics.

Won't happen again.

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:08 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
the quote was lifted directly from the times. what the f*** are you talking about?

Lazy lazy. Here is what he actually said from Hansard

Quote:
My Lords, the Government have not proposed any breach of UK law. On occasions, tensions can arise between our domestic obligations and our international commitments and we will always seek to resolve these, as we have in the past. The freedoms and protections that we all enjoy rely on the rule of law; it is an important constitutional principle and, as a responsible Government, we remain committed to it.
Quote:
In these circumstances, I continue in post and continue to advise, encourage and stipulate adherence to the rule of lawóunderstanding that, from time to time, very real tensions can emerge between our position in domestic law and our position in international law. It is not unprecedented for legislation passed by this Parliament to cut across obligations taken at the level of international law. In those circumstances, domestic legislation prevails
he is very careful he says it doesn't break UK Law and UK law can breach international law - he doesn't say the Bill doesn't propose a breach of international law and indeed his legal opinion to the Gov was that it did.

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:18 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
he is very careful he says it doesn't break UK Law and UK law can breach international law - he doesn't say the Bill doesn't propose a breach of international law and indeed his legal opinion to the Gov was that it did.
it's funny, because it didn't take two seconds to find the quote from the times in hansard:

Quote:
I have to say to this House that, in my opinion, the present Bill does not of itself constitute a breach of international law or of the rule of law.
that's what he actually said. from hansard.

of course, he said lots of other stuff, too. but quoting a different quote doesn't make someone who quoted the original quote lazy (I assume you meant the times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
he doesn't say the Bill doesn't propose a breach of international law and indeed his legal opinion to the Gov was that it did.
he also went on to say...

Quote:
I consider that the provisions of the Bill are entirely limited in their intent and effect and fall within the rule of law and the requirements of international law.
Quote:
I am providing a legal justification for saying that the UKIM Bill falls within the boundaries of international law, within the boundaries of our treaty obligations and within the boundaries of the rule of law.
Quote:
​As regards the present Bill, it is designed to provide for a contingency, which will operate only in the event of us having to respond to a material breach or fundamental change in obligations, and then only by bringing forward regulations that will require the approval of this House. Unless and until that occurs, there is no breach of the treaty; there is simply a means by which the treaty obligations can be addressed in the event of a breach.

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
Apologies Jammy. Forgot you were an expert on inter-war European politics.
No need to be an expert.

If you know your stuff, maybe donít post shit.

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:39 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
it's funny, because it didn't take two seconds to find the quote from the times in hansard:

that's what he actually said. from hansard.

of course, he said lots of other stuff, too. but quoting a different quote doesn't make someone who quoted the original quote lazy (I assume you meant the times).

he also went on to say...
I quoted what he said first of all last week. Rumours he has tendered his resignation today - now why would he do that if it's all lawful

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:40 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
No need to be an expert.

If you know your stuff, maybe donít post shit.
Is that a question or a statement?

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:51 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
and the lies, the misrepresentation, the ad hominems (the silly distraction accusations of the same in reverse) and the straw man arguments, obvs.
Err...

Quote:
but, like blair not understanding that, even when he's right, he's still blair and undermining whatever argument he's making by being the one to make it

Unread 16-09-2020, 01:54 PM
Jammy Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
Is that a question or a statement?
A suggestion.

Unread 16-09-2020, 02:01 PM
tatty

Weíre not actually listening to the man who took us in to an illegal war are we?

Or the PM who rammed through the Maastricht treaty?

Or the PM who slithered off to sign Lisbon?

Or the PM who started the whole ball rolling?

Or the PM who played the country for fools by claiming to be working towards Brexit whilst using a negotiator who was asking for a Belgian passport?

Sorry, but none of them are credible.