United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 21-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Stickman

If wed counter attacked with a bit of intent and composure wed have licked them today.

They were there for the taking.

In hindsight I'm gutted we drew that match.

Wayne should have hit the target too from Ronaldos square.

Unread 21-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
the berbatov moaners are slowly coming out of the wood works i see lol.

sometimes....lol
Nobody is disputing his obvious talent, but by Christ could he not give a shite today.

Unread 21-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Nobody is disputing his obvious talent, but by Christ could he not give a shite today.
infact i think i put more effort into my morning shite than he did today.

Unread 21-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
I just want to see the balloon pop again.

Unread 21-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
arf

Unread 21-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Argentina

Some people on here speak absolute claptrap.

Berbatov was ace 1st half. For someone lacking so much in match fitness, it was pure class that got him through it. A key pass in the goal, movement off the ball to get the shot which was put in off the rebound.

The only thing I wasn't happy with was his fluffed pass for Park, who should have squared it back to Rooney, or Berbatov.
The fact he is going to get tired and therefore be less effective is inevitable, so playing with 10 players by leaving him on was a masterstroke eh Fergie? Tevez for Berbatov would have been my last sub. If he really wanted to give Berba more game perhaps Tevez for Rooney; Tevez's work rate might have given Berba more time and space to effect the game.

But O'Shea. I don't even have to say anything more.

Chances went begging though. Rio first half. Rooney second half. Plus countless Chelsea ones. Don't take shit that they even themselves out. United are European champions. They should be taking those chances.

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Serenity Now

VdS - 5.25 Struggled again on crosses, let the ball spill out dangerously on a couple of occasions.

G.Neville - 5.75 Unquestionably his best performance since his return from injury. Still struggled to keep up with the pace of the match and dived in recklessly quite a few times.
Rio - 8 Showed again why he's the best centre back in the world.
Evans - 7 Fitted into the back-line seamlessly. Didn't do anything outstanding, but didn't screw up either. A bit too quick to play the deep pass up the pitch. Promising.
Evra - 7.5 Great attacking threat, instrumental in the goal, and didn't give Chelsea much joy down his flank. Looks like he's really getting back to his best again. Love him.

Hargreaves - 5.75 Did well defensively, but not so hot in an attacking sense. Thought he dwelt on the ball, misplayed a number of passes and showed a heavy touch at times.
Scholes - 6 Without Carrick, he's really the only player in the midfield consistently able to retain possession of the ball. Minus points for his stupid fouls and dissent, which could easily have gone him sent-off with Riley in that kind of mood.
Fletcher - 6.5 Zone of terror in full effect. Performed pretty capably in all phases.
Park - 6.5 Good defensively, excellent attacking movement, did very well to get into the position to score the goal. A few poor touches and the odd mindless moment, but overall a very respectable performance.

Rooney - 6.75 Intelligent, hard working, explosive. Produced a few top class moments too. Basically carried on where he left off against Villarreal. Minus points for frequently slack first touch, needless surrendering of possession, and stupidity in the build-up to Chelsea goal.
Berbatov - 5.5 A handful of classy moments, particularly in the first half, but overall he really struggled to impose himself on the match at all. The combination of a lack of fitness and his lazy style doesn't do him any favours.

Kuszczak - 5.5 Made a couple of smart saves and, on the whole, actually managed to hold on the ball. Didn't exactly inspire confidence on set-pieces and crosses into the box though.
Ronaldo - 5.5 Looked a threat as soon as he came on, but is clearly far from 100%. Awful dive, and not impressed with his attitude. Playing with a half-fit Ronaldo and Berbatov in the same team is like defending with 9 men.
O'Shea - 4.5 Comes on, gives the ball away with his first and then shanks it out of touch with his second. Why, Fergie? Why?

MOM: Anelka - 8 First Moscow, and now this. A true United legend.

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Tumescent Throb

Tevez was being protected imo

United were pretty good today, and excellent tactically

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Tevez was being protected imo

United were pretty good today, and excellent tactically
From what ? Drogba ?

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
From what ? Drogba ?
himself - and the referee

oh and the ABU nation's desperation that United don't win 3-in-a-row

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Blagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
VdS - 5.25 Struggled again on crosses, let the ball spill out dangerously on a couple of occasions.

G.Neville - 5.75 Unquestionably his best performance since his return from injury. Still struggled to keep up with the pace of the match and dived in recklessly quite a few times.
Rio - 8 Showed again why he's the best centre back in the world.
Evans - 7 Fitted into the back-line seamlessly. Didn't do anything outstanding, but didn't screw up either. A bit too quick to play the deep pass up the pitch. Promising.
Evra - 7.5 Great attacking threat, instrumental in the goal, and didn't give Chelsea much joy down his flank. Looks like he's really getting back to his best again. Love him.

Hargreaves - 5.75 Did well defensively, but not so hot in an attacking sense. Thought he dwelt on the ball, misplayed a number of passes and showed a heavy touch at times.
Scholes - 6 Without Carrick, he's really the only player in the midfield consistently able to retain possession of the ball. Minus points for his stupid fouls and dissent, which could easily have gone him sent-off with Riley in that kind of mood.
Fletcher - 6.5 Zone of terror in full effect. Performed pretty capably in all phases.
Park - 6.5 Good defensively, excellent attacking movement, did very well to get into the position to score the goal. A few poor touches and the odd mindless moment, but overall a very respectable performance.

Rooney - 6.75 Intelligent, hard working, explosive. Produced a few top class moments too. Basically carried on where he left off against Villarreal. Minus points for frequently slack first touch, needless surrendering of possession, and stupidity in the build-up to Chelsea goal.
Berbatov - 5.5 A handful of classy moments, particularly in the first half, but overall he really struggled to impose himself on the match at all. The combination of a lack of fitness and his lazy style doesn't do him any favours.

Kuszczak - 5.5 Made a couple of smart saves and, on the whole, actually managed to hold on the ball. Didn't exactly inspire confidence on set-pieces and crosses into the box though.
Ronaldo - 5.5 Looked a threat as soon as he came on, but is clearly far from 100%. Awful dive, and not impressed with his attitude. Playing with a half-fit Ronaldo and Berbatov in the same team is like defending with 9 men.
O'Shea - 4.5 Comes on, gives the ball away with his first and then shanks it out of touch with his second. Why, Fergie? Why?

MOM: Anelka - 8 First Moscow, and now this. A true United legend.

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
himself - and the referee

oh and the ABU nation's desperation that United don't win 3-in-a-row
Sorry mate but that makes no sense. What would he have done wrong to need protection from the ref and himself ?

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Sorry mate but that makes no sense. What would he have done wrong to need protection from the ref and himself ?
not much, probably.

i suppose he might've nutted Terry or jump tackled Mikel

depends how much the ref let them wind him up

Unread 21-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Tiberian

Fletcher was excellent today, his reinvention as an attacking midfielder is going well. Looks a real threat at times, showing real desire to get into goalscoring positions, something our midfield has lacked for a while.

He is a genuine option now, Carrick would be first choice for me, after that it is up for grabs for CM positions.

Neville was better today, but he still looks a long way off the pace, and was an obvious weak link, he is slower on the turn and struggled at times.

Ferdinand was superb, Evans stood up well.

We have only shown glimpses of our form this season, at times today we were cutting an excellent defensive team to pieces, signs of an understanding between Rooney and Berbatov, but it is only small parts of the game.

Unread 21-09-2008, 07:01 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Fletcher was excellent today, his reinvention as an attacking midfielder is going well. Looks a real threat at times, showing real desire to get into goalscoring positions, something our midfield has lacked for a while.

He is a genuine option now, Carrick would be first choice for me, after that it is up for grabs for CM positions.

Neville was better today, but he still looks a long way off the pace, and was an obvious weak link, he is slower on the turn and struggled at times.

We have only shown glimpses of our form this season, at times today we were cutting an excellent defensive team to pieces, signs of an understanding between Rooney and Berbatov, but it is only small parts of the game.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree about Fletcher.

He's been fantastic (the Newcastle corner apart) this season.

Unread 21-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree about Fletcher.

He's been fantastic (the Newcastle corner apart) this season.
He should have played at Liverpool, strange with his form that he was left out.

Unread 21-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Zorg

I agree with Serenity except that I would give Rooney 6.76 instead of 6.75.

Unread 21-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian

Agreed about Fletch, looks the biggest goalscoring threat of our central midfielders although that isn't saying much. If he played regularly he could get around 15 goals this season IMO.

Unread 21-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Part 36 Offer

Fletcher was MOM imo (see other thread).

He's the white Essien, what a machine.

Unread 21-09-2008, 09:28 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Fletcher was MOM imo (see other thread).

He's the white Essien, what a machine.
You've gone a touch too far there mate.

Just a touch.
Closed Thread