United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:40 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Then that’s not ‘every single one’. And last I looked they’re not all highly paid professionals representing a professional organisation followed by millions.

Everyone else does it didn’t used to wash as an excuse.
this

ffs why are people even trying to defend this shit

most of those @#%&!s, and it really is the majority given that 'display' yesterday are stealing a very handsome living from United, and taking the piss out of the fans as well

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Mate, why do you insist on making this a social media thing when it's not? It could be a black and white £#%&!ing polaroid and the point would still be the point. Neither is it a generational thing, a clothes thing or new dance moves we don't understand; it's an ethic thing, and ethics are timeless.

Simply put, supporters are having to go through a fair bit of misery right now, watching our team become the laughing stock of English football; but that's ok because hopefully everything is cyclical. However, while I don't claim to speak for every supporter, I'm pretty sure it's not asking too much to expect our players to be aware of where we're at and not take to public viewing every five minutes acting like they don't give a £#%&! and that their brand and followers are more important than the club they represent or the millions they're paid to represent it.

That's all.
Because it is a social media thing. The way social media works, and how pretty much everyone of these players age groups interact with it, is important to consider when we're judging their behaviour.

They're on it all the £#%&!ing time. It's like a bodily function to them.

As fans, especially older fans who perhaps don't have that relationship with social media, I think we view it as more malicious than what it is. Like they've thought about recent results, considered what they'll post and thought '£#%&! it, I'll do it anyway'.

We take it more personally.

I think we give these lads a little too much credit. They're thick as £#%&! millionaires who post every utterance that comes into their floaty little heads every 30 seconds.

They're not thinking about it in the same way we are.

Maybe they should. As I said earlier, I think that's coming next. Juan Mata strikes me as a little bit more intelligent and writes a measured blog post... and was able to separate himself from that when we'd had a stinker one week and decided against posting.

It'll become more regulated.... but for now, I think we're inferring an negligence that isn't there.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Wasn't it?

Keane said: “If that was a good, strong dressing room that wouldn’t be tolerated. That’s why I worry about the United dressing room.

“For a young player, still learning his trade, he could be the nicest kid in the world, I don’t know him. But you’re coming out with all that nonsense"

All what nonsense?... seems like he's referring to the clothes range there, Jammy.

“I think football should be your number one priority. People say you should have other stuff outside of football but I don’t think you should."

So nothing like Bryan Robson being on jossy's giants. Ryan Giggs doing Reebok adverts or Andy Cole releasing a single?

“Don’t hide behind your cars or tattoos or girlfriends, you can do that when you retire!”

Don't even know what this means tbh. Do players 'hide behind these things". Did players in his day walk to work and stay abstinent?

I love Neville and Keane, but their criticism yesterday smacked of outdated "back in my day" talk.

If you don't think they're up for it or aren't working hard enough, then that's another story.... but attempting to link it with a lack of priorities based on social media exposure - which an overwhelming majority of their age group are on - is spurious at best.
Like Neville said, there’s a time and a place.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:46 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Presumably Richardson turning up in a Rolls Royce wouldn't have affected his ability to perform either; but players giving it the big 'un before they've done anything of note has always been frowned on by the most successful dressing rooms. Again, timeless.
Turning up in a rolls Royce is giving it the big un.

Going on Instagram and acting happy is commonplace.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:48 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Like Neville said, there’s a time and a place.
Like being photographed in public laughing away with Manchester city players a day after a 6-1 derby defeat?

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:49 PM
utd99

i think we're at cross purposes. I tell you social media is not the reason I object to it and you say it is.

Quote:
Like being photographed in public laughing away with Manchester city players a day after a 6-1 derby defeat?
Yes. Except doing it every week after a 6-1 loss to Man City.

Anyway....

Quote:

Well I'm glad they're happy then. If I were thick as shit, earning millions and didn't give a £#%&! about league position, I'd probably be happy too.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Because the club control it and the players are employees and representatives of the club. All this Twitter shit is, after all, promotional.

Not that I’m aware of. He said it wouldn’t be tolerated by a strong dressing room. And it’s more about the way it’s done and the timing, which is Neville’s main criticism. Such things, when taken in context of their performances, can reveal where their focus is at. Players can have off field activities, and players can have off field activities which cause them to take their eye off the ball and affect performance. That’s not new. Indeed, it’s even affected one of our greatest managers according to his boss.

If a player is delivering then it can’t be argued their eye is off the ball. It can be argued they have a balance which allows them to still focus on their game. If a player isn’t performing, they have no defence.

If Neville is making the criticism, you can be sure he has some inside info on the matter.
Your argument that 'it' shouldn't be tolerated or they have no defence etc is based on the idea that 'it' is a problem in the first place.

If all (ok, the vast majority) of players are on social media to a large degree, ranging from good to bad, in form and off form, then it's virtually impossible to make any kind of connection between being this kind of behaviour and performing badly on the pitch.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:55 PM
ZiggyStardust

£#%&! me you lot still going on about clothes launches on their day off and birthday messages on instagram

There are some important problems in the football club at the moment that actually involve and relate to the football on the pitch which might be worth discussing a bit more than this shite

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
He said "If if was a good strong dressing room, that wouldn't be tolerated". I think it's safe to assume he remembers the dressing room in his day being a strong one.
Given the context of the quotes in relation to neville’s, I took it to mean the timing or methodology wouldn’t be tolerated. Like Neville said, there’s a time to do it and a time not to do it.

Quote:
I'd say 'it' just isn't a big deal at all and there's no pass that needs to be granted.
Depends if you think it’s gone so far it’s taken their eye off the ball, which is what Neville was implying. In which case, there is a pass to be granted, and it shouldn’t be granted to this generation just as it wasn’t granted to previous generations, or even to Fergie himself despite having already won a shitload of trophies at the time.

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
i think we're at cross purposes. I tell you social media is not the reason I object to it and you say it is.

Yes. Except doing it every week after a 6-1 loss to Man City.

Anyway....

Well I'm glad they're happy then. If I were thick as shit, earning millions and didn't give a £#%&! about league position, I'd probably be happy too.
I'm not saying it's what you object to, I'm saying the medium and how they interact with it needs to be considered if we're to judge their behaviour on it.

Me too pal. Fans will always feel it more than the players

Unread 17-12-2018, 07:59 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Again, this is the thing I was responding to with Keith where he told me I was missing the point. People take their actions to be offensive on these grounds. Why? Their behaviour is completely normal. It's nowhere near as eccentric as you lads seem to think it is. And if it was unprofessional or spoke of a lack of interest then Mourinho wouldn't be relying on them at Anfield ahead of Model Pro Juan Mata.

This idea that you have to win trophies before you can leave the house in a pair of fashionable glasses or share a birthday tune is just painfully detached from the real world. It's you lads, and Neville and Keane, who pay too much attention to social media. Not the players.
Rooney tells the story of how he tried to have a quiet word with Memphis, get him to get his head down, concentrate on the football and forget the rest of the hulabaloo only for big Memph to turn up to a reserve game at Altincham in a roller and orange leather jacket. At that point he just gave up; and this was just three years ago. These people you're so dismissive of know the mentality of a successful dressing room; maybe just listen to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
£#%&! me you lot still going on about clothes launches on their day off and birthday messages on instagram

There are some important problems in the football club at the moment that actually involve and relate to the football on the pitch which might be worth discussing a bit more than this shite
Are the board waiting for us?

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:

It’s the same ego driven, attention seeking bullshit.

Quote:
I don’t know. Tell me how the fans, manager and rest of the players reacted.

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:04 PM
utd99

Quote:
Didn't shit players used to avoid attention?

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Given the context of the quotes in relation to neville’s, I took it to mean the timing or methodology wouldn’t be tolerated. Like Neville said, there’s a time to do it and a time not to do it.

Depends if you think it’s gone so far it’s taken their eye off the ball, which is what Neville was implying. In which case, there is a pass to be granted, and it shouldn’t be granted to this generation just as it wasn’t granted to previous generations, or even to Fergie himself despite having already won a shitload of trophies at the time.
Given they're never £#%&!ing off Instagram, I'd say it's very hard to gauge how it would affect them potentially taking their eye off the ball. We have no variable.

I said earlier too, we're in danger of tarring everyone with the same brush.

Lingard actually works hard. He always puts in a shift. For all this shortcomings, his work rate isn't one of them. I've never heard anything in training about him and both Jose and Southgate seem to like him. The biggest question mark is that he's actually a bit shit

Pogba is more or less the polar opposite: talent not in doubt, work rate and commitment very much so.

We're talking about Lingards clothing range with concerns of him taking his eye off the ball.... but are there any signs whatsoever that he is actually doing that?

It was somewhat fitting that after Keane and Neville spent the pre match questioning the timing of his release, he scores and was one of our better performers.

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Rooney tells the story of how he tried to have a quiet word with Memphis, get him to get his head down, concentrate on the football and forget the rest of the hulabaloo only for big Memph to turn up to a reserve game at Altincham in a roller and orange leather jacket. At that point he just gave up; and this was just three years ago. These people you're so dismissive of know the mentality of a successful dressing room; maybe just listen to them.
If either of them played with Lingard and said they were specifically concerned about his focus, I'd certainly put some credit into it.

Keane admitted he doesn't know the lad and thinks he shouldn't have any outside interests. Not really the same tbf

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:08 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

I don’t know. Tell me how the fans, manager and rest of the players reacted.
Except for the distinction I've made: one reflects wealth.

The fans weren't happy. And rightly so. It was a day after the 6-1 drubbing . As you say, a time and a place for it. Even a Fergie side (wouldn't be tolerated in a strong dressing room...) was capable of the sort of insensitive, detached behaviour we're accusing this lot of.

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Your argument that 'it' shouldn't be tolerated or they have no defence etc is based on the idea that 'it' is a problem in the first place.

If all (ok, the vast majority) of players are on social media to a large degree, ranging from good to bad, in form and off form, then it's virtually impossible to make any kind of connection between being this kind of behaviour and performing badly on the pitch.
Well, I was talking generally about off field activity. In which case, players getting involved in off pitch activity to an extent it distracts from their football is a problem when it happens. And as Neville said, there’s a way to do it and a way not to do it.

Having a clothes launch and posting that video prior to united’s biggest game was indicative of where the players heads are at, and Neville knows it. Both from being a professional himself at united, and because he no doubt has inside info on the matter.

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
If either of them played with Lingard and said they were specifically concerned about his focus, I'd certainly put some credit into it.

Keane admitted he doesn't know the lad and thinks he shouldn't have any outside interests. Not really the same tbf
He can smell a useless @#%&! a mile off.

Anyway, I have way too many replies on this thread so that's that. Glad you all agree that Lingard and Pogba are useless preening @#%&!s that the club need to bin off asap.

See you all in the Mou thread.

Unread 17-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
He can smell a useless @#%&! a mile off.

Anyway, I have way too many replies on this thread so that's that. Glad you all agree that Lingard and Pogba are useless preening @#%&!s that the club need to bin off asap.

See you all in the Mou thread.
The sad part is that I actually do agree with that summary
Closed Thread