United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Quiet first half yesterday but I thought his link up play was brilliant 2nd half

IMO the most important member of the squad currently as he's the only one who can play centre forward and be a reference point for the attack
Our attack looks a completely different animal when he's in the centre of the attack linking everything up

When he's not there we have to move Rashford from where he has been at times devastating this season to a position playing with his back to goal that he just isn't suited to

We need to sign a backup centre forward who is happy to not start most weeks but can be a reference point for the attack when he does play
Agree with all of that.

He probably should have got a goal and thought it was one of his more subdued performances since coming back from injury, but he ended the game with two assists and caused their back line a lot of problems.

According to some of the shit online footy rags we've already agreed terms with an unnamed striker in January. Hopefully a decent back up striker and things are looking up.

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:40 PM
Soviet

Quote:
Quiet first half yesterday but I thought his link up play was brilliant 2nd half

IMO the most important member of the squad currently as he's the only one who can play centre forward and be a reference point for the attack
Our attack looks a completely different animal when he's in the centre of the attack linking everything up

When he's not there we have to move Rashford from where he has been at times devastating this season to a position playing with his back to goal that he just isn't suited to

We need to sign a backup centre forward who is happy to not start most weeks but can be a reference point for the attack when he does play
Fast forward to the summer, how many goals and assists would Rashford, Martial and James need to deliver this season for you to pin all your hopes on them going into next ? Or would you regardless ?.

Lets forget the idea of a backup striker, Mandzukic isnt going to be winning us any leagues, its going to come down to Rashford, Martial and James to deliver, and are you willing to pin all your hopes on them ?

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:51 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Thought he was really good yesterday, still not 100% or settled into the role yet either.

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:53 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Fast forward to the summer, how many goals and assists would Rashford, Martial and James need to deliver this season for you to pin all your hopes on them going into next ? Or would you regardless ?.

Lets forget the idea of a backup striker, Mandzukic isnt going to be winning us any leagues, its going to come down to Rashford, Martial and James to deliver, and are you willing to pin all your hopes on them ?
James I'm still not sure as first choice wide right player
I think we should sign an inverted wide right forward in the summer who can contribute a lot of goals and assists while James can be a very good squad option

Why wouldn't Martial or Rashford be good enough to rely on next season
Their goals and assists record per 90 mins is very good this season
We need more backup for their positions but from what I've seen this season I think they're worth preserving with

We shouldn't be relying on them alone for our goals
We need more from midfield and full back with CBs chipping in with a few set piece goals

It's been hard for our attack this season as we play quite conservatively and defensively which isolates our forwards
Even yesterday we went very defensive and passive for the whole middle part of the match

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:53 PM
dunk

Quote:

£#%&! a back-up striker. Buy that Haaland and let them battle it out. They aren’t all going to be firing all season over 60 games.

Would love a naturally left sided player as an option to replace Rashers at times too and a proper RW to help James out.

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:54 PM
utd99

Quote:

For them to be considered first choice front three going into next season there has to be 55+ goals per between them, and that’s a bare minimum to be competitive I think. Last season Liverpool got 69 from their front three; 53 from Mane and Salah alone.

Unread 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
James I'm still not sure as first choice wide right player
I think we should sign an inverted wide right forward in the summer who can contribute a lot of goals and assists while James can be a very good squad option

Why wouldn't Martial or Rashford be good enough to rely on next season
Their goals and assists record per 90 mins is very good this season
We need more backup for their positions but from what I've seen this season I think they're worth preserving with

We shouldn't be relying on them alone for our goals
We need more from midfield and full back with CBs chipping in with a few set piece goals

It's been hard for our attack this season as we play quite conservatively and defensively which isolates our forwards
Even yesterday we went very defensive and passive for the whole middle part of the match
James has been our best winger by a long shot this season, and was one of the bright spots during our abysmal run of form at the start of the campaign. Even if we, as you say, bring in an inverted winger to play on the right, why don’t we do the same with him on the left?

Unread 11-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Neo

‘A reference point for the attack’?

Good player, tbf.

Unread 11-11-2019, 02:04 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
James has been our best winger by a long shot this season, and was one of the bright spots during our abysmal run of form at the start of the campaign. Even if we, as you say, bring in an inverted winger to play on the right, why don’t we do the same with him on the left?
He can't be our best winger by a long shot this season if Rashford's got better stats when playing wide left
I've been impressed with him but we could do with someone who's a bit better and more gifted to give us more goals and assists

James can still be an important squad member

Unread 11-11-2019, 02:09 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
He can't be our best winger by a long shot this season if Rashford's got better stats when playing wide left
I've been impressed with him but we could do with someone who's a bit better and more gifted to give us more goals and assists

Hold up, hasn’t Rashford played as an out and out forward more often than not this season? And £#%&! stats, I’m going on what I’ve seen with my own eyes so far this season. James has almost always been one of our main threats in attack. Sure, he mightn’t have scored as much as Rashford, but I can think of several games already this season where it was James and his movement and direct attacking approach that opened the game up for us. Now when you take into consideration the fact that he is the newest addition to our attack, I’d say that’s impressive and indicates he’s earned his spot as our starting right winger for the foreseeable.

Unread 11-11-2019, 02:11 PM
utd99

Quote:

Rashford’s played most of the season as the main striker, plus he takes penalties and free kicks. I really don’t know how anyone could watch James from his signing until now and see him as merely a squad player for the future.

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:27 PM
dragflick

Quote:

wtf

Not sure I've seen anyone anywhere suggest Dan James is one area we need to improve on, he's been £#%&!ing brilliant.

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
wtf

Not sure I've seen anyone anywhere suggest Dan James is one area we need to improve on, he's been £#%&!ing brilliant.
Absolutely nuts

Been our best and most consistent player so far this season.

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
wtf

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
wtf

Squad player, at best....needs dropping / rotating..

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM
ZiggyStardust

Sorry it's such a controversial opinion that I think we can do better than him on the right side especially as it's not his favoured side to play on

Considering he's come from the championship he's had a very good start to his Utd career and being an important squad player but not an automatic starter next season is still a pretty good position for the lad at this stage of his career

As I said I still think we need to sign a first choice wide right attacker in the summer who's best position is as a wide right forward

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:42 PM
believe

Quote:
Sorry it's such a controversial opinion that I think we can do better than him on the right side especially as it's not his favoured side to play on

Considering he's come from the championship he's had a very good start to his Utd career and being an important squad player but not an automatic starter next season is still a pretty good position for the lad at this stage of his career

As I said I still think we need to sign a first choice wide right attacker in the summer who's best position is as a wide right forward
So he’s playing well in a position that’s he’s not meant to be playing in so we need to get someone to replace him when he doesn’t play well in the future?

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Patty_b

Player of the season so far, he's wonderful to watch.

The front three picks itself at the moment, madness to suggest otherwise.

Unread 11-11-2019, 03:45 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
So he’s playing well in a position that’s he’s not meant to be playing in so we need to get someone to replace him when he doesn’t play well in the future?
There's playing well and there's scoring goals on a consistent basis from that position

James won't score a lot from wide right as he's best at coming from the left and shooting with his right foot

If we're going with a proper front 3 we need consistent goals from all 3 so that's why I would sign a goal scoring (and creating) wide right forward in the summer

Unread 11-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Ethers

He’s scored 2 goals from the right so far hasn’t he?
Closed Thread