United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Serenity Now

Default Dejan Savicevic

Inconsistent and a bit lazy, but phenomenally talented. Always stepped it up for the big games.

Put in two of the greatest European performances I've ever seen. First when he destroyed Bayern Munich in the second leg of their semi-final against Red Star in 91, and then against Barca in the '94 Champions League final.

A true footballing artist - for a brief spell he was, for me, without question the best player in the world.

[YOUTUBE]qD8HIsMonTM[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 24-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Classic.

Have you seen the rest of the clip? He just carries on with the interview as if nothing has happened
No - I never saw the rest of it. I just read the description of what followed - funny that he just continued on with the interview after that rant

Those £#%&!ers have some great putdowns

Unread 24-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Nero

His goal against Barca in the final was £#%&!ing sweet.

Unread 17-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Default Re: Dejan Savicevic

never seen this - anyone at the game?

surely ferie would have been in for him back then. small chance milan were the bigger draw back in 91 of course

Unread 17-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

surely ferie would have been in for him back then. small chance milan were the bigger draw back in 91 of course

YouTube- Dejan Savicevic vs Manchester United (91 Super Cup)
Was that Red Star? If so, I went to that. I was only young but I think we won 1-0 (Mclair?) Old Trafford was empty. Remember thinking he was good but didn't have a clue who he was.

Unread 17-11-2009, 10:42 AM
PaulParkers

Quote:

Me and my old man were there. To be honest I don't remember much of the game at all. All I can remember was my Dad got done for speeding on the M6 on the way home.

Unread 17-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Pete's Shoes

Quote:

I was at that game, he was supreme, they absolutely murdered us. How we got away with that I'll never know. They swapped the usual 2 - legged format to a one off because of the trouble over there at the time.

Unread 17-11-2009, 10:47 AM
SilverSurfer

Quote:

I remember everyone raving about him at the time - along with Pancev - but as you say, for some reason Milan was more attractive. Also that Red Star sold him for more than £9m and our record signing at the time was £2.3m.

Unread 17-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Baron

Quote:

One of the biggest shitters I've had as a United fan. I was 11 & being proper OOT down in the south east I'd not yet been to Old Trafford (what with the old man basically not having an interest). I'd fractured my femur (not intentionally... the fluid dried up in my hip & the top of the bone was ground against my hip so I needed an op to have some pins put in & a new kind of traction used - I was the 2nd person in the world to have that op - what a £#%&!ing shit claim to fame! ) Anyway - as my parents were well aware I was United mental, so they wrote off to the club & they replied with a letter from Fergie, all signed, bit Gordon Brown-esque as he actually wished me well with my broken leg. £#%&! it, was a technicality - I had a smile the Krays would have been proud to have dished out, and I still have the letter. They also sent 2 complimentary tickets to this game - I was going @#%&!ing mental, United vs the Champions of Europe! & it would be my first game...!

Right up until the point where my parents told me that the pins in my hip, femur & the £#%&!ing fridge handle hanging off the side meant I wouldn't be able to go.

They're lucky I didn't murder them in their sleep. Didn't speak to them for donkeys years (2 days) & I always feel like shit when I remember.

Thanks guys.

Unread 17-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Fountz

Thumbs up Re: Dejan Savicevic

Mentioned it before I know, but saw him for Milan V Parma in 93 on our honeymoon ...Milan had gone nearly two years unbeaten in Serie A ...unfortunately this was the game that ended the run due to an Asprilla free kick for Parma, however despite Milan being tired and lacklustre that day, Savicevic and Donadoni just shone out. We were behind the Milan dugout and were privileged to witness the man's sublime ball control from only a few yards away.

Unfortunately none of the 3 Dutchmen were playing. Van Basten would later return but I'd have loved to have seen him, but Savicevic ( and Donadoni and Baresi ) made up for it.

He threaded the needle several times and put it on a plate only for that stupid lumbering carthorse they had upfront ( Massaro ? ) to £#%&! it up repeatedly.

Unread 17-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Stickman

£#%&! me - looks like he played us by himself in the super cup

Unread 17-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
£#%&! me - looks like he played us by himself in the super cup
Looks £#%&!ing brilliant doesn't he

Unread 17-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Richard Kuklinski

Funny looking at that clip....there's a young Donadoni, there's a young Weah (Citehs first "marquee" signing), there's a young Costacurta and then there's Atillia Lombardo, who to be fair never looked young

Unread 17-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kuklinski
Funny looking at that clip....there's a young Donadoni, there's a young Weah (Citehs first "marquee" signing), there's a young Costacurta and then there's Atillia Lombardo, who to be fair never looked young
what in the £#%&!ing crikey are you waffling on about? that's red star belgrade (as referenced by a few posters above) and even if it was milan, lombardo never played for them anyway

plum of the day award goes to...

Unread 17-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Lok

Quote:
what in the £#%&!ing crikey are you waffling on about? that's red star belgrade (as referenced by a few posters above) and even if it was milan, lombardo never played for them anyway

I think he's talking about the first video

Unread 17-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
oh.

still.

hmmm...

Unread 17-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Richard Kuklinski

Quote:

calm down dear...I was talking about the first clip. And Lombardo was playing for Samp AGAINST Savicevic....about 28 seconds in

I'll hand the plumb of the day back to you respectfully, you obviously deserve it more than me.

Unread 17-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kuklinski
calm down dear...I was talking about the first clip. And Lombardo was playing for Samp AGAINST Savicevic....about 28 seconds in

I'll hand the plumb of the day back to you respectfully, you obviously deserve it more than me.

Unread 17-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Richard Kuklinski

Quote:

Unread 17-11-2009, 08:22 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Dejan Savicevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

There are some good videos here too (shamelessly plugs own thread ):