United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:29 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
any type of win
That's the whole point of playing matches.

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:34 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
If we win at the weekend I'll still be bloody fuming and my heart will still be in Coventry.....

Just pure HATES united this lad.....
Love United pal. Hate this manager and his team though.

First win in 90 minutes job six games and we made hard work of that against officially the worst team in premier league history and saved by two people who most on here want out of the club yay turn that frown upside down.

Put it this way, I’m assuming you’re going to Wembley and it’s going to cost you a few hundred quid with your lad? Do you honestly believe last nights game gives you hope we’ll beat them? I certainly don’t, we’d have been five down at half time if we’d played them last night.

Ps I’m assuming injuries weren’t a concern yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
That's the whole point of playing matches.
Bullshit and I don’t think you really mean it. Were United fans not £#%&!ing Bolton fans

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:35 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

First win in 90 minutes job six games and we made hard work of that against officially the worst team in premier league history and saved by two people who most on here want out of the club yay turn that frown upside down.

Put it this way, I’m assuming you’re going to Wembley and it’s going to cost you a few hundred quid with your lad? Do you honestly believe last nights game gives you hope we’ll beat them?
I certainly don’t, we’d have been five down at half time if we’d played them last night.

Bullshit and I don’t think you really mean it. Were United fans not £#%&!ing Bolton fans
I was, but you know what, I might just sack it off, just incase we lose.....

I'll let him know later ...

Unread 25-04-2024, 09:36 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Put it this way, I’m assuming you’re going to Wembley and it’s going to cost you a few hundred quid with your lad? Do you honestly believe last nights game gives you hope we’ll beat them? I certainly don’t, we’d have been five down at half time if we’d played them last night.

Didn't realise we played Derby last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I was, but you know what, I might just sack it off, just incase we lose.....

I'll let him know later ...
I think that's best pal. Don't even know why people turn up these days tbh.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:13 AM
BigRonManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I think that's best pal. Don't even know why people turn up these days tbh.
Based on last night, I’m not sure they do.

I guess it’s me. I just can’t understand people continuously lowering the bar just so they can be happy. Any season we’re not at least in the conversation for the top pots (and by that I mean league and champions league) is a failure, end of.

We’re Man Utd ffs and all took the piss out of Wenger for calling top four “a trophy”.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:19 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
We won 25-10.

Interesting how when we concede multiple shots, it’s because the other team were all over us, but when they concede loads of shots it just means we’re bad at finishing.

I see that agenda.
No, what's interesting is that when we we have many more shots on the opposition's goal than they have on ours, we tend not to lose. I know, sounds like some weird Black Magic but always seems to turn out that way.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:19 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager
I just can’t understand people continuously lowering the bar just so they can be happy.
fred mass suicide on the cards, if brm is allowed to continue with this soul-searching.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:21 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Based on last night, I’m not sure they do.

I guess it’s me. I just can’t understand people continuously lowering the bar just so they can be happy. Any season we’re not at least in the conversation for the top pots (and by that I mean league and champions league) is a failure, end of.

We’re Man Utd ffs and all took the piss out of Wenger for calling top four “a trophy”.
We've been in that position for a decade. Yeah we came 2nd a couple of times but were never realistically never close to the title by the end of the season. So what exactly should the fans do? Should everyone have booed at the end of the game last night? What about when we won the FA cup or europa league or league cup, should we celebrate less because it wasn't a league title or CL?

No one is lowering the bar but the incessant whining after every game, win or lose, is tiring. Also smacks of acting like spoilt @#%&!s. I wonder how the forum would have dealt with the 70's and 80's (hint: not well).

and by the way there were, by my estimate, 65-68k there last night. not sure many clubs would get that in that kind of game.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:31 AM
est.1878

Quote:
and by the way there were, by my estimate, 65-68k there last night. not sure many clubs would get that in that kind of game.
Agree, but it's a modern world of heavy season ticket allocation and membership tickets going on sale 5 weeks in advance...

As an aside, was mildly shocked when watching the gothenberg highlisghts the other day (new wfh high/low) from 94 how many empty seats there were

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:32 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Agree, but it's a modern world of heavy season ticket allocation and membership tickets going on sale 5 weeks in advance...

As an aside, was mildly shocked when watching the gothenberg highlisghts the other day (new wfh high/low) from 94 how many empty seats there were
it will be interesting to see crowds in some games next season with the new ticketing system...

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:44 AM
BigRonManager

Quote:
We've been in that position for a decade. Yeah we came 2nd a couple of times but were never realistically never close to the title by the end of the season. So what exactly should the fans do? Should everyone have booed at the end of the game last night? What about when we won the FA cup or europa league or league cup, should we celebrate less because it wasn't a league title or CL?

No one is lowering the bar but the incessant whining after every game, win or lose, is tiring. Also smacks of acting like spoilt @#%&!s. I wonder how the forum would have dealt with the 70's and 80's (hint: not well).

Yeah and every year for a decade we’ve failed. Why are you framing it as binary that we either boo or are happy? There’s a middle ground of dissatisfaction with what we’re seeing without acting like a Geordie surely?

And we are lowering the bar, nqat. The funny thing about this clubs support is that, while we know we have no divine right to win, we also know we should be troubling the winners at least, and we’re not, not even close.

If that means we have to call the entire decade a failure then so be it, and keep calling it failure until it’s not. It’s far more dangerous to keep letting “well we didn’t win, but at least we challenged” become “well we were 25 points off top, but at least we got top 4” become “well at least we got europe and a final” etc etc. it’s a losers mentality.

Unread 25-04-2024, 10:59 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Bullshit and I don’t think you really mean it.
I do. 'bad' wins and 'good' wins. I like to win playing beautiful football but in the great scheme of things it's about results.

Unread 25-04-2024, 11:10 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
I do. 'bad' wins and 'good' wins. I like to win playing beautiful football but in the great scheme of things it's about results.
Of course we want to see good football but that comes once you’ve got all the basics right. What I want and I thought it’s what most of us wanted is to watch a game and think we’ve made some progress. Has he learnt from the previous game that something didn’t work and changed it? Has the game not been going to plan and he’s made the necessary changes to improve it? Has the keeper learnt that in his previous five games he’s been beaten comfortably on his near post? And the answer to any question is no, every week.

I want to watch a game and think at the end, you know what we might beat Burnley at the weekend and maybe, just maybe we’ll give City a game. I certainly don’t feel like that today after last nights game.

Unread 25-04-2024, 11:18 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Yeah and every year for a decade we’ve failed. Why are you framing it as binary that we either boo or are happy? There’s a middle ground of dissatisfaction with what we’re seeing without acting like a Geordie surely?

And we are lowering the bar, nqat. The funny thing about this clubs support is that, while we know we have no divine right to win, we also know we should be troubling the winners at least, and we’re not, not even close.

If that means we have to call the entire decade a failure then so be it, and keep calling it failure until it’s not. It’s far more dangerous to keep letting “well we didn’t win, but at least we challenged” become “well we were 25 points off top, but at least we got top 4” become “well at least we got europe and a final” etc etc. it’s a losers mentality.

So you've ignored absolutely everything I said then. Where did I say it had to be all sunshine or all shite?

You're complaining about people 'lowering the bar', i'm saying maybe your expectations shouldn't be that we should be challenging to win the league after at least a decade of mismanagement from top to bottom. Arguably longer. I think you're maybe forgetting who our owners have been for the last 20 years or so.

We should be winning titles because the size of the club and income generated is more than ample to do so. Absolutely. But that conveniently ignores we've had owners far more interested in lining their pockets than investing in infrastructure.

Unread 25-04-2024, 11:50 AM
redhegemony

I'd much rather last night than a Morinou 1-0 or 2-1 defensive masterclass. We have verve and joy.

Unread 25-04-2024, 11:56 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I'd much rather last night than a Morinou 1-0 or 2-1 defensive masterclass. We have verve and joy.
+1

Due a reform also actually

Unread 25-04-2024, 12:07 PM
Dacter

Quote:
watching the gothenberg highlisghts the other day (new wfh high/low) from 94 how many empty seats there were
Been listening to Talk of the Devils podcast by any chance?

Unread 25-04-2024, 12:12 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacter
Been listening to Talk of the Devils podcast by any chance?
Actually no. Can you do a concise summary?

Unread 25-04-2024, 12:15 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Actually no. Can you do a concise summary?
They did an episode about the empty seats against gothenburg in 94

Unread 25-04-2024, 12:19 PM
est.1878

What was the main findings?

Nice to know my thoughts are podcsstable. Hadls spurred me onto sorting a simulation thread later