United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 29-04-2024, 11:54 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
I’m already ‘New Manager OUT’. Hope you’re all ready.
you're already "potential new manager not in", so it's way beyond that.

Unread 29-04-2024, 11:59 AM
ZiggyStardust

It's pointless going round in circles about this as the fans won't have a major influence on the decision
The reality is INEOS will have already made a decision and we all know what that will be

No manager at a club of Utd's stature can survive a season like this
It will be the worst results, performances, points, goal difference and final position we've had in the history of the PL
That's to go with the worst ever performance from an English team in the CL

Those competitions are what top clubs are judged on and he's failed miserably in both
When you add in the fact he only has a year left on his contract so would be a lame duck manager next season anyway then there really is only one option for the new regime at Utd

Unread 29-04-2024, 12:01 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
Here’s a rough transcript of us asking Zidane, Flick and Tuchel if they’d like to manage Manchester United:

Us - “Would you like to manage Manchester United?”
Them - “No.”
Us - “OK thanks for your time.”
Totally agree about Zidane, he doesn't speak English and to my knowledge has never given the slightest indication of wanting to manage other clubs, let alone in England.

But the other two, I don't see why they wouldn't be interested? We're still talking about Man United. Tuchel managed Chelsea, why wouldn't he want to come to OT?

I suppose what it all comes down to is whether it's worth the gamble. Either sticking with Erik or hiring Tuchel/Herr Flick, both of those are taking a risk. I know it's not fashionable but I can see arguments for both.

I'm not interested in 'blinkered agendas', I'm not saying to stick with Erik because I thought he'd be successful and now I can't accept being wrong. Obviously this season has been a crushing disappointment (except getting to another cup final).

I'm simply saying a season and a half isn't enough, not when I originally wanted him to get three, and I'm convinced the same would happen with any of the potential replacements mentioned and we'd be having the same conversation 18 months later.

Unread 29-04-2024, 12:05 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
Totally agree about Zidane, he doesn't speak English and to my knowledge has never given the slightest indication of wanting to manage other clubs, let alone in England.

But the other two, I don't see why they wouldn't be interested? We're still talking about Man United. Tuchel managed Chelsea, why wouldn't he want to come to OT?

I suppose what it all comes down to is whether it's worth the gamble. Either sticking with Erik or hiring Tuchel/Herr Flick, both of those are taking a risk. I know it's not fashionable but I can see arguments for both.

I'm not interested in 'blinkered agendas', I'm not saying to stick with Erik because I thought he'd be successful and now I can't accept being wrong. Obviously this season has been a crushing disappointment (except getting to another cup final).

I'm simply saying a season and a half isn't enough, not when I originally wanted him to get three, and I'm convinced the same would happen with any of the potential replacements mentioned and we'd be having the same conversation 18 months later.
Exactly where I’m at and what I’ve been saying the whole time. Give him at least one full season under the new structure, whatever that is.

Unread 29-04-2024, 12:14 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
Giving managers time only really works if they actually look competent and there are obvious signs of improvement.

You don't just blindly give them 3 years and watch as the performances get worse and worse
Course you do! Remember the outrage on here when Rangnick went? Or Moyrs? Jose?!

Unread 29-04-2024, 12:59 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
Giving managers time only really works if they actually look competent and there are obvious signs of improvement.

You don't just blindly give them 3 years and watch as the performances get worse and worse
- Scraped into the cup final against a Championship team, regularly outplayed at home by the likes of Brentford and Brighton, worst ever result against Liverpool, tactics and substitutions all over the place, worst Champions League performance in history, bought Onana and Antony, poor dress sense

- Qualified for the Champions League in his first season, broke our 6-year trophy drought, got to three cup finals including back to back FA Cup finals while dealing with the ridiculous Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood and boardroom sagas and an astonishing number of injuries, brought through Garnacho and Mainoo with other youngsters also given debuts, very shiny bald head

Overall I'm still on one more season.

Unread 29-04-2024, 01:13 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
It's pointless going round in circles about this as the fans won't have a major influence on the decision
The reality is INEOS will have already made a decision and we all know what that will be

No manager at a club of Utd's stature can survive a season like this
It will be the worst results, performances, points, goal difference and final position we've had in the history of the PL
That's to go with the worst ever performance from an English team in the CL

Those competitions are what top clubs are judged on and he's failed miserably in both
When you add in the fact he only has a year left on his contract so would be a lame duck manager next season anyway then there really is only one option for the new regime at Utd
But apart from that, what have the Dutch ever done for us?

Unread 29-04-2024, 01:39 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
- Scraped into the cup final against a Championship team, regularly outplayed at home by the likes of Brentford and Brighton, worst ever result against Liverpool, tactics and substitutions all over the place, worst Champions League performance in history, bought Onana and Antony, poor dress sense

- Qualified for the Champions League in his first season, broke our 6-year trophy drought, got to three cup finals including back to back FA Cup finals while dealing with the ridiculous Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood and boardroom sagas and an astonishing number of injuries, brought through Garnacho and Mainoo with other youngsters also given debuts, very shiny bald head

One more season reds

Unread 29-04-2024, 01:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth View Post
One more season reds
me, too.

but only if that season is spring.

Unread 29-04-2024, 01:47 PM
marlo

Imagine backslapping the fact your United in accepting mediocrity while saying the mediocrity has to stop!

As said above no big club would accept this season. there’s nothing to even look at that indicates things will improve. he can’t even coach the team to be competent against average opposition.

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:01 PM
pedr0

I do fully get the "one more season" view. wouldnt necessarily be against it. but:

- ETH really does look like he's going through the motions now. where is the desire to try some different, to innovate. it's the same shit week after week. to me, he looks a bit like he's given up.

- what would be 'good enough' next season? we surely couldn't be as bad as this year. hypothetically let's say we spend another £200m and get 70 points. that would be a clear improvement season2 to season3, but definitely not where we'd have hoped to be after 3 years from his appointment. tough call as to whether to stick or twist.

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:07 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
Imagine backslapping the fact your United in accepting mediocrity while saying the mediocrity has to stop!

As said above no big club would accept this season. there’s nothing to even look at that indicates things will improve. he can’t even coach the team to be competent against average opposition.
Many have and stuck with the same manager.

You have the footballing acumen of a fish.

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:13 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro

I mean Arsenal did exactly that with Arteta and are now legitimate title contenders...

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:16 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:26 PM
BigRonManager

If anything, the "new structure" is there to identify the bloke who can solve team issues and improve us, not solve team issues and improve us themselves. I'm not sure what they're supposed to do about shitty tactics, under-performing unmotivated players, and a team that looks cluelessly unable to cope with any adversity.

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:27 PM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:28 PM
marlo

Quote:

name them?

i predicted we’d finish 6th in July, where did you with all your football acumen predict we would.

as I’ve said before there’s no need to insult me personally.

Unread 29-04-2024, 02:29 PM
NedKelly

Quote:

I mean Arsenal did exactly that with Arteta and are now legitimate title contenders...
Think that’s another one of the arguments we’re not allowed to use. File alongside mentioning Klopp’s initial seasons at Liverpool, and any mention of Ferguson needing several years before finding real and sustained success here.

guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

Good summary.

Can’t handle another full season like this though. Don’t let him choose any more players and give him 5/6 games of the new season. If we still look an utter mess, fire him. Can’t say fairer than that.

marlo

Quote:

do you actually believe ETH can do the same ?

Arsenal were not a chaotic mess every game and outplayed by the worst teams in the league every game!