United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2009, 04:23 AM
M-13

Default More bullshit from Benitez...

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...737396,00.html

Quote:
Rafael Benitez marked the 50th anniversary of Bill Shankly's appointment as Liverpool manager by insisting the club must always aspire to the levels of pride and passion the great Scot achieved at Anfield.

Tuesday marks the day in December 1959 when Shankly was officially appointed manager of the club.

Benitez, the current incumbent, admits he knew little of Shankly when he took over the hot seat himself four and a half years ago.

But he soon learned exactly how important Shankly was to the history of the club.

And he admits the appointment of playing legend Sammy Lee as assistant manager was partly designed to rediscover the spirit of Shankly.

Benitez said: "When we decided to bring in Sammy we had someone who knew the philosophy and the ideas of the club.

"Everything has changed in football and everything is different in society nowadays.

"Life is different. Everyone has iPods or Wiis and in a hurry to do things. But still we try to have the same ideas as Shankly.

"When people talk about the 'Liverpool Way', it was always to win. We try to do this and that is our priority if possible. We try to do things properly, like Shankly did."

Half a century has passed since then chairman T.V. Williams changed Liverpool forever by making Shankly manager but, as far as Benitez is concerned, the Shankly way will never die and will forever provide motivation for future generations.

He said: "One of the things we did after Sammy came was to change a little bit of decoration at Melwood. We now have a lot of photographs of former players, the legends and the managers and quotes from different people.

"We have been trying to bring this spirit. It is much better now. When people come to training now, they can look around and it is an inspiration to them. It would have been an honour to have met him, 100 per cent.

"Now all we can do is our best to make sure the mentality and the passion is always the same. That is the key to making sure the club stays at a good level, the level Bill Shankly wanted it to be at."

Benitez adds: "I didn't really know much about him before I came but I started reading books about him and made sure that I spoke with a lot of people. I kept reading all those little phrases and sentences.

"But I also listened to an old radio interview he did, over and over again when I was at home or when I was in my car. I struggled at first with the accent but once it all became clear, I was really impressed with his ideas.

"He was so ahead of his time. He was talking about training sessions and if it had been raining and the players were wet, he would tell them to careful and he would look after them, make sure they recovered properly and ate the right food."

Liverpool are still formulating their plans to mark the half-century since Shankly took over.

It is likely they will honour his legacy during the home game with Wigan on December 16, the nearest match to the 50th anniversary of Shankly's first game in control - a 4-0 home defeat by Cardiff on December 19, 1959.

It is expected members of Shankly's family and former players will be invited to the Wigan match, with a ceremony on the pitch before the game.

One of those former players was Ronnie Moran, who figured in that Cardiff defeat before eventually joining Shankly's backroom staff.

His recalls: "When I came to the end of my playing days I was in the reserves and he called me into his office one day at the end of the season. I thought he was going to tell me my days at Liverpool were over.

"But he said 'Sit down son! How would you like a job on my staff working with the youngsters?'

"I was working with the kids for three years and Joe Fagan was in charge of the reserves. He asked me to help him with that. Joe moved onto the first team staff in 1971 and I took the reserve.

"In 1974 I joined the first team set-up when Bill retired to work with Bob and Joe.

"One of the reasons he was so popular with our supporters was because he told the truth all of the time."

Unread 02-12-2009, 05:12 AM
bcred

Default Re: More bullshit from Benitez...

""It is likely they will honour his legacy during the home game with Wigan on December 16, the nearest match to the 50th anniversary of Shankly's first game in control - a 4-0 home defeat by Cardiff on December 19, 1959""

Surprise ...another £#%&!ing Kop tear jerker.

Let's hope they lose to the Piemen 4-0 to celebrate.

And as if Benitez is arsed ...another marketing men/media induced event

Unread 02-12-2009, 05:50 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Benitez adds: "I didn't really know much about him before I came but I started reading books about him and made sure that I spoke with a lot of people. I kept reading all those little phrases and sentences.
Quote:
"But I also listened to an old radio interview he did, over and over again when I was at home or when I was in my car. I struggled at first with the accent but once it all became clear, I was really impressed with his ideas.

"He was so ahead of his time. He was talking about training sessions and if it had been raining and the players were wet, he would tell them to careful"

sounds like one of grimson's

Unread 02-12-2009, 05:59 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
Jesus

Unread 02-12-2009, 06:17 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcred
""It is likely they will honour his legacy during the home game with Wigan on December 16, the nearest match to the 50th anniversary of Shankly's first game in control - a 4-0 home defeat by Cardiff on December 19, 1959""

Surprise ...another £#%&!ing Kop tear jerker.

Let's hope they lose to the Piemen 4-0 to celebrate.

And as if Benitez is arsed ...another marketing men/media induced event
Minutes silence then ?

Unread 02-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
Never has 'ycnmiu' bma*

* been more appropriate.

Unread 02-12-2009, 06:33 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Never has 'ycnmiu' bma*

* been more appropriate.
guoa

* great use of acronyms

Unread 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
SilverSurfer

so according to the scousers, Bill "retired", did he?

Not quite the truth is it, our phlegm-filled red chums?

Who exactly commissioned and paid for the statue outside? You or Carlsberg?

Unread 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Zorg

Benitez has been sucking sentimental scouse #@&%! all season, I wonder why

Unread 02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I was just going to say the same. He's shitting it and is doing whatever he can to get in with the fans. Remember his attempt at quoting YNWA? It worked, the scousers are so stupid I expect this one to also go down well, rather than be seen as a last desperate bid to avoid getting sacked.

Unread 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
He really has been playing the fans superbly in recent months. Comfortably the best performance seen from Liverpool this season.

Unread 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Read a great comment on RAWK by a suprisingly honest scouser, he argued that because Shankly was such a great character and changed the club so drastically that the mentality of Liverpool football supporters is to raise all of their managers to a level of almost godhood in a pining for a new Shanks. There could be something in that.

Unread 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Mr_Ed

Wowzers... so sticking up a few pictures and quotes around Melwood is going to make you a better team? You really are clutching at straws you scouse #@&%!.

Unread 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
History

Quote:
"He was so ahead of his time. He was talking about training sessions and if it had been raining and the players were wet, he would tell them to careful"
Fairplay, i mean without all the modern research thats impressive

Unread 02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Fairplay, i mean without all the modern research thats impressive
Was he a fan of sleeveless knitwear and gladiator films though, that's the big question.

Unread 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Was he a fan of sleeveless knitwear and gladiator films though, that's the big question.
Bill Shankly appointed 1959, Ben Hur released.....1959

Dunno about knitwear though.

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Sandman

The fat @#%&! has been having a dig at the style of football Blackburn play.

Quote:
Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez sarcastically compared Blackburn's style to Barcelona after his team defeated Rovers 2-1 on Sunday.
Benitez saw his team win a physical encounter and then stoked up his feud with Rovers boss Sam Allardyce.
"I think it is a model for all the managers around the world, their style of football, his behaviour," he said of Rovers tactics and their manager.
"The style of football, I think, Barcelona are thinking of copying."
Benitez suffered his first defeat in the Premier League in a match against a Bolton side managed by Allardyce in 2004.
Former Reds defender Sami Hyppia suffered a broken nose early in that contest and the relationship between the two managers has been fractious ever since.

Allardyce accused Benitez of showing a lack of respect after a gesture during Liverpool's 4-0 win against Rovers last season.
And the Blackburn boss said in the build-up to Sunday's game that Liverpool had been reduced to a team scrapping for points as the battle to finish fourth in the Premier League hots up.
Asked about Allardyce's comments, Benitez added: "It doesn't matter - we won.
"We try to do our talking on the pitch. If they are pleased with the way they play under this manager it is their decision.
"They have a style and they are a team that plays this way under this manager.
"Some people have to talk before the press conference or after because it is more difficult for them to do a football job."
Benitez was unhappy with the physical approach of Blackburn on Sunday.
Steven Nzonzi was yellow carded after pushing Lucas in the face at Anfield and Benitez clearly thought the Blackburn player should have been sent off.
"See the replay of the incident, it was very clear," added the Reds boss.
"We have had four of five players with problems, bleeding, and Maxi with stud (marks) in his abdomen. Interesting - but we won."

Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres scored as Liverpool won for the first time in three attempts in the Premier League.
But it was a match that occasionally threatened to boil over, with Gerrard and El-Hadji Diouf exchanging angry words before half-time and the duo had to be separated as they walked off at the interval.
"It is an unfortunate reflection on our performance that we had about 25 fouls and five cards against us," added Allardyce.
"But unfortunately when we come to places like this they are very good at swaying things their way."
And Allardyce mounted a stern defence of his pre-match comments about Liverpool.
"It was only because Liverpool have a go at me and because I am entitled to respond when I get criticised by Rafa Benitez," said the Rovers boss.
"If you don't understand that over the last few years you must be deluded.
"Not this time but many other times I have been criticised personally by the manager - all I said was they got six bookings at Manchester City away so they are digging games out now rather than the flowing football they played last year."
Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina sustained a shoulder injury after the break challenging for the ball but was able to carry on.
"We knew it would be a tough game and nothing surprised us," he said.

"They play that way and to be honest I felt a little under-protected, but the most important thing was that we won."
The win lifted Liverpool to within one point of Tottenham as they continue the battle for fourth spot - and saw Torres start a game for the first time since 13 January.
"We know it will be tough until the end but we have to keep going," added Benitez.
"But it is always important to have players back and feeling fresh."
Rovers have won once away from home in the Premier League this season - and Allardyce pointed to a lack of composure in front of goal when explaining his team's failure to take something from Anfield.
"Our problem is that we did not have a goalscorer to finish off our good work and chances," he said. "If we did we would have had a draw at least.
"That has been our downfall away from home all season. It was disappointing we did not convert at least one of our openings before Gerrard opened the scoring.
"In the second half we again did more than them but our failure in front of goal cost us."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...m/8542041.stm?

Unread 01-03-2010, 09:26 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
The fat @#%&! has been having a dig at the style of football Blackburn play.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...m/8542041.stm?
I'm sure I head Benitez taking the piss out of Blackburn in his post match conference before on SSN. I'm sure he said Blackburn aim to play like Barcelona and all the journo's laughed. Is this the same Benitez that has spent loads of money, hasn't won much since being in charge there and his Liverpool team, again, despite spending loads of money, play shite football?

Unread 01-03-2010, 09:34 AM
waynes ear's

the very same

But £#%&! him, he's on borrowed time and he knows it. Wouldnt surprise me to see the @#%&! take over at inter

Unread 01-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Pop

He's really got it in for the BBC. Was listening to the @#%&! on the last few MOTD post match interviews and irrespective of the topic, every single time he replies to a variety of questions with:

'we playa good game and are very pleashed with de resul'
Closed Thread