United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:19 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I've never understood the cult like fanbase of Peterson. Comes across a typical pseudointellectual using as many long wided phrases in a slow....and.....very......deliberative way which I guess creates a veneer of thoughtfulness. Except there is nothing original about what he says.

Maybe I'm harsh but my instinct is for a lot of his rabid fans this is the first time they've heard of it so in their minds it must be brand new revolutionary thoughts. I read his book 12 Rules For Life and came away thinking this is the exact same material that has been packaged for decades in self-help books collecting dust in the library.
Near all of these secular priests to the ignorant and unread are one-eyed phoney boloney charletons in the kingdom of the blind.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:21 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
I've never understood the cult like fanbase of Peterson. Comes across a typical pseudointellectual using as many long wided phrases in a slow....and.....very......deliberative way which I guess creates a veneer of thoughtfulness. Except there is nothing original about what he says.

Maybe I'm harsh but my instinct is for a lot of his rabid fans this is the first time they've heard of it so in their minds it must be brand new revolutionary thoughts. I read his book 12 Rules For Life and came away thinking this is the exact same material that has been packaged for decades in self-help books collecting dust in the library.
New to Americans pal? Thereís a reason Ďself helpí is the biggest section in book shops over there. Theyíre obsessed with being preached at, and sermonised.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:22 AM
Patty_b

Just attention seeking crank on a soapbox.

Bin.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:23 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
As a nerd into mythology and religion, his work on that subject matter is genuinely fantastic.

Just wanted to add that as I feel he deserves more credit there.
I have seen some of his work on that. Both of those subjects are very open-ended and you can drone on and on with different people arguing different points and yet there's no right or wrong. It's interesting in its own way but the same thing applies: there is not much if anything he says that is original. These things have been done to death. I've often had guys on the street over the years handing out leaflets on religious teachings and while I'm not religious I'll read out of interest. In a leaflet the same points can be made that these podcasters spend hours pontificating over.

No problem if you enjoy the stuff I should add. We all have different tastes and there's definitely things I like that a lot of people wouldn't.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:45 AM
shenwen

Just to point out, he's not American

I liked him previously as he was taking a side I generally agreed with on compelled speech and woke campuses. And he was generally arguing with idiots so it was good to see them get all twisted.

His self help stuff though I'm not interested in. haven't read anything he's ever written and never would.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Neo

Quote:

Big fan of Jordan Peterson, me.

I would put him in a different category to the legalised criminality that is the self-help movement dominated by utter crooks like Tony Robbins and Dean Graziosi, who prey for profit on the impressionably needy.

For a start, Peterson has the academic gravitas to position himself as a genuine thought-leader, and the subjects he tackles are ones that need to be discussed, and a mind like his brings great value to the debating table, particularly on issues such as left-wing liberalism and perceptions of gender equality.

However, I feel his best work is articulating his understanding of corporate hierarchies, and helping guide young people, particularly young men, through the world in a way that turns traditional beliefs on their head. His ideas on disagreeable and conscientious personality traits being the two biggest factors behind professional success in the workplace, and his recommendations on negotiation strategies, for example, are absolutely bang-on.

Joe Rogan is as dumb as a rock, btw, and caters to a bottom-of-the-barrel audience of Roganite knuckle-draggers who all share the common misguided belief that they're both open-minded enough to accept new ways of thinking, and profound enough to accept this illuminated understanding that the mainstream aren't. The irony is that they're actually the most closed-minded of people, rejecting perfectly logical status quos simply to align with anything deemed as anti-establishment because their bald guru promotes it, and that they are, by and large, completely unqualified in any field whatsoever, so lack any intellectual foundation to manifest their belief of self-proclaimed illumination into reality.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:48 AM
shenwen

Quote:
I have seen some of his work on that. Both of those subjects are very open-ended and you can drone on and on with different people arguing different points and yet there's no right or wrong. It's interesting in its own way but the same thing applies: there is not much if anything he says that is original. These things have been done to death. I've often had guys on the street over the years handing out leaflets on religious teachings and while I'm not religious I'll read out of interest. In a leaflet the same points can be made that these podcasters spend hours pontificating over.

No problem if you enjoy the stuff I should add. We all have different tastes and there's definitely things I like that a lot of people wouldn't.
Watch what he had to say about the bible on this podcast. Starts off making a good point about its position in the canon of Western writing but very quickly ends up talking about truth and his brother in law who has invented a chip with more power than the human brain. He's all over the place.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:49 AM
My Name is Heath

I love Dr J Peterson.

I donít know how you all grew up but I didnít grow up in an intellectual household, studied maths, physics and languages then straight into work.

Iíve never studied philosophy, psychology, religion.

So for me, yes, a lot of the ideas ARE new but itís arrogant to belittle someone for not being clued up.

I loved that Cathy Newman interview and he articulates so much of what I inherently feel.

Remember some of the people on here have chosen paths in life where youíre super rich, big family, lots of friends and acquaintances etc.

Some of us donít have that luxury.

He fills a spot that is really useful for many people.

Heís an intellectual Goldbridge.

Would love to see Cooking with Goldbridge and Peterson.

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:50 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Big fan of Jordan Peterson, me.

I would put him in a different category to the legalised criminality that is the self-help movement dominated by utter crooks like Tony Robbins and Dean Graziosi, who prey for profit on the impressionably needy.

For a start, Peterson has the academic gravitas to position himself as a genuine thought-leader, and the subjects he tackles are ones that need to be discussed, and a mind like his brings great value to the debating table, particularly on issues such as left-wing liberalism and perceptions of gender equality.

However, I feel his best work is articulating his understanding of corporate hierarchies, and helping guide young people, particularly young men, through the world in a way that turns traditional beliefs on their head. His ideas on disagreeable and conscientious personality traits being the two biggest factors behind professional success in the workplace, and his recommendations on negotiation strategies, for example, are absolutely bang-on.

Joe Rogan is as dumb as a rock, btw, and caters to a bottom-of-the-barrel audience of Roganite knuckle-draggers who all share the common misguided belief that they're both open-minded enough to accept new ways of thinking, and profound enough to accept this illuminated understanding that the mainstream aren't. The irony is that they're actually the most closed-minded of people, rejecting perfectly logical status quos simply to align with anything deemed as anti-establishment because their bald guru promotes it, and that they are, by and large, completely unqualified in any field whatsoever, so lack any intellectual foundation to manifest their belief of self-proclaimed illumination into reality.
Agree with the first part but not the second.

And if he stuck to what he's qualified on, I'd have more time for him, but on this podcast he comes across as a bullshitting know it all, who most of the time is wrong,

Unread 26-01-2022, 11:50 AM
Bunker Buster

Joe Rogan is the podcast host.....that's it for me, I'm not sure all the labels thrown at Joe or fans of his show have any meaning whatsoever....

He's a sports commentator and comedian with a podcast audience of over 200m bigger than any news agency in the world ..

The guests and content is what people are a fan of, nothing to do with Joe and his credentials...

It's a very important podcast in these times, always has been ..