United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics

Unread 23-01-2022, 06:36 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
the important part is in parentheses. as discussed previously. several times.
You didn't address the question (nor did the bit in parentheses)*

Whoops

Unread 23-01-2022, 06:38 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX View Post
You didn't address the question (nor did the bit in parenthes
Like Lindsay Lohan, he has fallen into the parentheses trap.

Unread 23-01-2022, 06:45 PM
BarryX

Cool

Quote:
the important part is in parentheses. as discussed previously. several times.
The statement in parentheses didn't answer the original question, though, which was what are the cultural benefits of leaving?

I accept that for many who voted having less European citizens living in the UK is a cultural benefit unto itself, but I wouldn't have thought that was the case for the likes of you and some of the other pro-Brexit posters here.

Feels a bit like the UK is becoming isolated from our continental neighbours, irrespective of any future/touted link ups with universities on the otherside of the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath View Post
Like Lindsay Lohan, he has fallen into the parentheses trap.

Posted that without even realising it. Heavy lunch. Too much wine. French BTW.

Unread 23-01-2022, 06:52 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
thank you for understanding.
Yes, you're missing the point, deliberately I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty View Post
Some of you lot are absolutely off your rockers.

UK GDP growth is far better than the vast majority of EU countries, especially the larger economies.

The poorest paid are having bumper increases in salaries.

I thought 'Brexit Derangement Syndrome' was a myth.
Please demonstrate our GDP growth is as a direct result of Brexit and not just a recovery from the bugger hit it took during the pandemic than other countries, or, stop repeating your favourite meaningless fact for this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark View Post
Oh I know he's just a pointless troll, however I feel I need to correct for the casual observer....
It's so annoying isn't it. You know he's just making shut up and has been pulled up on it multiple times before, but then you think someone might read it and actually believe it, so you feel compelled to pull him up on it AGAIN! you

Unread 23-01-2022, 07:04 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark View Post
Oh I know he's just a pointless troll, however I feel I need to correct for the casual observer....
the casual observer should be encouraged to run. and not look back.

Quote:
The statement in parentheses didn't answer the original question, though, which was what are the cultural benefits of leaving?

I accept that for many who voted having less European citizens living in the UK is a cultural benefit unto itself, but I wouldn't have thought that was the case for the likes of you and some of the other pro-Brexit posters here.

Feels a bit like the UK is becoming isolated from our continental neighbours, irrespective of any future/touted link ups with universities on the otherside of the world...
the decision not to participate in erasmus was a deliberate decision by the government. it was completely unnecessary in the context of brexit. I can provide an explanation of how we got this government if you'd like to hear it again.

the answer to the original question can be ascertained to a degree by reading the threads. for those whose minds are open to the possibility that there may be perspectives that are.... let's just say different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo View Post
Yes, you're missing the point, deliberately I'm sure.
it was my point, so I think I got it.

Unread 23-01-2022, 07:19 PM
BarryX

Quote:
the casual observer should be encouraged to run. and not look back.

the decision not to participate in erasmus was a deliberate decision by the government. it was completely unnecessary in the context of brexit. I can provide an explanation of how we got this government if you'd like to hear it again.
I'm not talking solely about Erasmus here and genuinely can't remember the cultural benefits of leaving ever being discussed. Happy to be reminded of them or hear some new ones. All I'm seeing is isolationism; a them and us attitude to anything European.

Unread 23-01-2022, 07:26 PM
jem

Quote:
All I'm seeing is isolationism; a them and us attitude to anything European.
love europe hate the eu

Unread 23-01-2022, 07:32 PM
tatty

Those figures arenít mine, they are the OECDís.

You need to take it up with them if the UKís fantastic economic performance makes you angry.

Same with the huge pay rises for those most affected by Freedom of Movement. You may not like it but your anger doesnít change facts.

For anybody unaware of the data being discussed:

Unread 23-01-2022, 07:45 PM
BarryX

Quote:
love europe hate the eu
The two are so intertwined these days, not sure they can be separated; the Europe you love loves the EU (or at least is more than happy to be in the Union).

Anyway, still not any wiser as to what the cultural benefits of actually leaving are/were/will be. But then it again it was tad rhetorical.

Unread 23-01-2022, 07:51 PM
tatty

Quote:
Anyway, still not any wiser as to what the cultural benefits of actually leaving are/were/will be. But then it again it was tad rhetorical.
For many there won't be any benefits to leaving.

Whether that is people whose employment is tied to the EU, with kids who wanted to work their gap year abroad, have 2nd houses abroad, hate Brexit because they think Tories love it, etc etc.

It's a fools errand arguing that Brexit is either good or bad because little, if anything, will change peoples views.

The winners like it and the losers hate it and no amount of evidence from either side is going to change that.

Not charts about economic performance, pictures of truck queues, data on pay rises, stories of small businesses being affected.

It is all wasted energy and for nothing because there is no changing the outcome, it's gone, forever.