Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2019, 02:07 PM
dunk

Unread 14-01-2019, 02:07 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
kind of contradicts his comment that sideways passes are stupid though no?
No. His comment is a clear reference to the previous two risk averse managers we’ve had. I know your crew think Louis was a risk taker I suppose he was if you think playing keep ball sideways on the half way line for 85 mins + is throwing caution to the wind.

His ref was about being more risk averse when we are under the kind of pressure we were in the 2nd half. Play it simple in those situations. Put it this way, ole wouldn’t have our team struggling to break open an already relegated Aston Villa at the end of the season. And he’s as far away from misery guts mou as is possible.

His approach so far is the most authentic united approach we’ve had since Fergie. Possibly not sophisticated enough for the football academics but it’s working for me.

Unread 14-01-2019, 02:14 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
No. His comment is a clear reference to the previous two risk averse managers we’ve had. I know your crew think Louis was a risk taker I suppose he was if you think playing keep ball sideways on the half way line for 85 mins + is throwing caution to the wind.

His ref was about being more risk averse when we are under the kind of pressure we were in the 2nd half. Play it simple in those situations. Put it this way, ole wouldn’t have our team struggling to break open an already relegated Aston Villa at the end of the season. And he’s as far away from misery guts mou as is possible.

His approach so far is the most authentic united approach we’ve had since Fergie. Possibly not sophisticated enough for the football academics but it’s working for me.

They’ve been hurt before

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:11 PM
utd99

Quote:

Absolutely right. Though I’d be surprised if Siders takes this laying down tbh.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

I never thought Louis was a risk taker and I'd like you to take that back.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:17 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Absolutely right. Though I’d be surprised if Siders takes this laying down tbh.
No need. Someone who thinks the Dutch style is risk adverse is beyond help tbh.

Ole was right, you need to learn as a team to keep the ball better. We only really managed it late on and it was very effective. Part of building a top quality side is teaching them the value of possession. Or silly boxes as OG put it.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:28 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Or silly boxes as OG put it.
Aka stupid side ways passes.

It's like we've been rescued from Isis by our favourite uncle.

And we're having a great time. But you find him setting off fireworks in doors. You ask him if it's a good idea and he says health and safety is for losers.

Ok. It may well be. Let's see where we go.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:33 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Offended by that tbh.
Why, is it actually Arsenal?

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Aka stupid side ways passes.

It's like we've been rescued from Isis by our favourite uncle.

And we're having a great time. But you find him setting off fireworks in doors. You ask him if it's a good idea and he says health and safety is for losers.

Ok. It may well be. Let's see where we go.

Also, it's not like United gave up loads of chances second half because we were pouring forward and leaving ourselves open. It's largely because we let them dominate the game in that half. Standing off and letting them create chances at will. Risky, but perhaps not in the sense suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Why, is it actually Arsenal?
Equally offensive tbflions.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:37 PM
red in cumbria

Ah right, I may have mentioned before that I was domiciled in Lewisham for a wee while.

Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

Also, it's not like United gave up loads of chances second half because we were pouring forward and leaving ourselves open. It's largely because we let them dominate the game in that half. Standing off and letting them create chances at will. Risky, but perhaps not in the sense suggested.

Equally offensive tbflions.
I fear we could be asking for trouble with these comments. And eventually as per the last 5 years we will be proven right.

utd99

Quote:
No need. Someone who thinks the Dutch style is risk adverse is beyond help tbh.

Ole was right, you need to learn as a team to keep the ball better. We only really managed it late on and it was very effective. Part of building a top quality side is teaching them the value of possession. Or silly boxes as OG put it.
I think anyone who believes all coaches from the same country coach the same way is beyond help.

I believe Solskjaer said “stupid side/back passes” unless you were referring to something else. Can’t imagine who he’s talking about.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
kind of contradicts his comment that sideways passes are stupid though no?
Depends if there’s a purpose to it, which there was in the example he was giving and the context of it.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Vedder

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Ah right, I may have mentioned before that I was domiciled in Lewisham for a wee while.
I missed that one.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:47 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder

Excellent

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Put him in a suit FFS.......

Awful effort

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:55 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I think anyone who believes all coaches from the same country coach the same way is beyond help.

I believe Solskjaer said “stupid side/back passes” unless you were referring to something else. Can’t imagine who he’s talking about.
You know what the Dutch style is. Everyone does. They're the biggest influence in the game's modern history, with their silly boxes etc.

Quote:

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:57 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Quite. No one is saying possession isn’t important - of course it is. What OGS seems to recognise already is that possession should be balanced alongside risk - no point maintaining possession but being utterly ineffective with it ie Louis at United. But equally no point throwing caution to the wind at all times and not protecting narrow leads. That’s where we nearly ended up against spuds.

The other good thing ogs said was the need to adapt style depending on the opposition - again something we never seemed to do with both previous managers.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I fear we could be asking for trouble with these comments. And eventually as per the last 5 years we will be proven right.
Doubt it, pal. People who championed Mourinho are now crowing about Solskjaer being the anti-Mou. Bloody goalposts aots.
Closed Thread