United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:49 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
no. the term in english is caribbean food i believe. jerk.
So the equivalent is Chinese food then? szechaun.

Unread 05-12-2014, 08:04 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
now i know you're a WUM.
I admit to using it once on here - and getting told off for it

Seriously, when people use it to mean a Chinese restaurant/takeaway I think many don't think they are being racist at all and might even be shocked at the idea they were. IMO, anyway.

Unread 05-12-2014, 08:17 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I admit to using it once on here - and getting told off for it

Seriously, when people use it to mean a Chinese restaurant/takeaway I think many don't think they are being racist at all and might even be shocked at the idea they were. IMO, anyway.
Ignorant

Pig ignorant

Unread 05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Interesting point - what scale of "racism" should be applied to:

Frog
Eye tie
Kraut
Jock
Pakki
Pom
taffy
Windie

The "n" word has clear negative connotations but how offensive are the above, any more than Brummie, for instance?
Poles call themselves and each other Polaks which is the norm.....but americans call Poles Polaks and use it as a term of abuse.....as have some on here.

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
define racist

chinky defines a restaurant or a meal and isn't racist in the slightest when used in that context
wow

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Shooter McGavin

Quote:
define racist

chinky defines a restaurant or a meal and isn't racist in the slightest when used in that context
I actually get your point. Lack of awareness for what the original connotation of the word was.

I do smile at how outraged everyone gets though. Papers feed off this

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:12 AM
South Stand Johnny

Replace the word 'scouse' with 'black' in the vindictive way it's used here and everyone would be banned.

Same with women... The abuse tolerated or accepted because it's aimed at split arses wouldn't be if you were talking about a Jamaican.

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:16 AM
armchair

throb banned for racism. also ssj hanging by a thread.

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:20 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Stand Johnny
Replace the word 'scouse' with 'black' in the vindictive way it's used here and everyone would be banned.

Same with women... The abuse tolerated or accepted because it's aimed at split arses wouldn't be if you were talking about a Jamaican.
I do laugh at how we can get banned on here for saying anything remotely racist or homophobic, even within an ironic context, but it's open season on abusing a group of people because they live 30 miles down the road.

can we not say 'n' word either, please? its pathetic.

The word is ******. nobody is calling anyone a ****** or even joking about. 'n' word cannot be construed as anything other than ******, so just say it.

and it'll get ****starred out anyway.

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:23 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I do laugh at how we can get banned on here for saying anything remotely racist or homophobic, even within an ironic context, but it's open season on abusing a group of people because they live 30 miles down the road.

can we not say 'n' word either, please? its pathetic.

The word is ******. nobody is calling anyone a ****** or even joking about. 'n' word cannot be construed as anything other than ******, so just say it.

and it'll get ****starred out anyway.
another white freedom fighter fighting for the right to post the n-word online. £#%&! off. you people make me sick. You are so eager to spout racism and hide behind it being ironic. It's not ironic. You are a racist in denial.

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:26 AM
andyroo

There's nothing wrong with being black or gay. There's everything wrong with being a Liverpool supporter.

Unread 07-12-2014, 01:15 AM
ChairmanMao

Quote:
Interesting point - what scale of "racism" should be applied to:

Frog
Eye tie
Kraut
Jock
Pakki
Pom
taffy
Windie

The "n" word has clear negative connotations but how offensive are the above, any more than Brummie, for instance?
Seriously? Is the word **** more offensive than Brummie? FFS do you live in a 70's sitcom?

£#%&!ing ridiculous question.

Unread 07-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
I do laugh at how we can get banned on here for saying anything remotely racist or homophobic.
that's not true, ginners didn't get touched for calling me a kraut

Unread 07-12-2014, 02:20 AM
tatty

It hasn't ever crossed my mind that it's unacceptable to use 'chinky' in the context of restaurants/takeaways.

I use it, as does my wife and, i'm pretty sure, the majority of my friends.

I don't move in particularly well-educated or liberal social circles but neither am I a knuckle-dragging neanderthal.

Or at least I didn't think I was.

Unread 07-12-2014, 02:54 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
It hasn't ever crossed my mind that it's unacceptable to use 'chinky' in the context of restaurants/takeaways.

I don't move in particularly well-educated or liberal social circles but neither am I a knuckle-dragging neanderthal.

get your point.

when I was a kid we used to rent VHS videos at **** johns. Everyone called it that. But there was that moment when I realised it was wrong. That moment was when I needed to say it to a mate at college. he was 2nd generation Pakistani.

I imagine it would be the same if you asked a Chinese friend if he fancies a chinky. Is it so difficult to evolve from chinky to Chinese?

Unread 07-12-2014, 04:30 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMao
Seriously? Is the word **** more offensive than Brummie? FFS do you live in a 70's sitcom?

£#%&!ing ridiculous question.
Don't know which word you're referring to as it has been *********d. If you mean the "n" word, I suggest you read the post again and/or take a cold shower. If you mean any of the other terms I suggest you stop being such a precious @#%&! and next time you go out, make sure you keep a tight hold of mummy's hand. I'm not offended by being called rosbief or a Pom and have a Norwegian mate who quite likes being called a noggie and don't see any of those listed any different.

Unread 07-12-2014, 06:29 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Don't know which word you're referring to as it has been *********d. If you mean the "n" word, I suggest you read the post again and/or take a cold shower. If you mean any of the other terms I suggest you stop being such a precious @#%&! and next time you go out, make sure you keep a tight hold of mummy's hand. I'm not offended by being called rosbief or a Pom and have a Norwegian mate who quite likes being called a noggie and don't see any of those listed any different.
whether you are offended or not is irrelevant.

very of the words on your list have a legacy of negativity. Indeed some of them are actually used in a friendly manner. P***, though, shouldn't be there. Rarely hear that word used without being preceded by or followed by an obscenity. And almost never heard it used as a term of endearment.

Is it so hard to get? It's not the word. It's how it is used.

Unread 07-12-2014, 07:09 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
another white freedom fighter fighting for the right to post the n-word online. £#%&! off. you people make me sick. You are so eager to spout racism and hide behind it being ironic. It's not ironic. You are a racist in denial.

Wowsers.

'N word' ffs. What are we children? without context a word is just a noise or a collection of letters. The context is what makes it racist. If you use a word in a non racist context mere use of the word doesn't make you a racist.

Unread 07-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

My partner is Chinese and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that she shudders every time she hears that word. I do to because I've seen all to often people using it in a spiteful way to her.

Whether you're using it to attack a person or describe a restaurant doesn't matter, it's a word that upsets people because of how it is often used against them.

Do I think you're racist for using it? No. But if you say it near a Chinese person you're more than likely to offend them. So just don't use it. Simple.

Unread 07-12-2014, 08:59 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
My partner is Chinese and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that she shudders every time she hears that word. I do to because I've seen all to often people using it in a spiteful way to her.

Whether you're using it to attack a person or describe a restaurant doesn't matter, it's a word that upsets people because of how it is often used against them.

Do I think you're racist for using it? No. But if you say it near a Chinese person you're more than likely to offend them. So just don't use it. Simple.
I had a client the other day referring to himself as a "****". I didn't know how to react and I let it slide past me and concentrated on the substance of what eh was telling me but it was quite jarring. Obviously it's not a word I'd use and it made me very uncomfortable just as it does when some honky says it.

Edit: Ha ha! Censorship of a word without context has resulted in me not being able to adequately explain my point. He's South Asian btw.
Closed Thread